Naruto Forums

TV Tokyo (ended 2007)

Dropping the dubs altogether; I want your opinion

shadowysea07

[21]Feb 26, 2009
    • level: 25

Nightmare_River wrote:
    I see. As long as they're uncut, I'll probably always prefer dubbed anime, and not just because I like the VAs better, but also because I don't really like the concept of foreign languages in general. Though other things do contribute, such as my not caring if voices fit or if the acting is even good, just so long as I can imagine the character having that voice and my imagination is pretty flexible, especially since I don't think 'fitting voices' even exist, considering anyone can sound like anything. Oh well. To each their own. I can respect your perspective, but then again, you already knew that.
    you mean like star ocean. the main character is 12 and his va is 38 and was dr. tofu from ranma 1/2 and it sounds awful it doesn't match the character at all and they don't even try to get the lips to sync.

personally i'd perfer a dub to a sub if the voice acting is done properly and they don't edit it. if the bleach dub wasn't so far behind the sub i'd watch it. I don't like the naruto dub cuz of the reasons aleady stated slow release dates not the best voice acting and editing. Sasuke gaara and kakashi are the only ones i think they did a awesome job with.

i don't want to imagine if 4kids or funimation had gotten naruto . I just watch everything subbed since they keep to a schedule online unlike cn.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

xTokiWartoothx

[22]Feb 26, 2009
    • level: 10
    Nightmare_River wrote:
    I see.

As long as they're uncut, I'll probably always prefer dubbed anime, and not just because I like the VAs better, but also because I don't really like the concept of foreign languages in general.

Though other things do contribute, such as my not caring if voices fit or if the acting is even good, just so long as I can imagine the character having that voice and my imagination is pretty flexible, especially since I don't think 'fitting voices' even exist, considering anyone can sound like anything.

Oh well. To each their own. I can respect your perspective, but then again, you already knew that.

lol, as always

jah1415

[23]Feb 26, 2009
    • level: 12

xTokiWartoothx wrote:
    Nightmare_River wrote:
    I see. As long as they're uncut, I'll probably always prefer dubbed anime, and not just because I like the VAs better, but also because I don't really like the concept of foreign languages in general. Though other things do contribute, such as my not caring if voices fit or if the acting is even good, just so long as I can imagine the character having that voice and my imagination is pretty flexible, especially since I don't think 'fitting voices' even exist, considering anyone can sound like anything. Oh well. To each their own. I can respect your perspective, but then again, you already knew that.
    lol, as always

I really don't see why that's funny because he said he'd prefer dubs?

xTokiWartoothx

[24]Feb 26, 2009
    jah1415 wrote:

xTokiWartoothx wrote:
    Nightmare_River wrote:
    lol, as always

I really don't see why that's funny because he said he'd prefer dubs?

i guess you could kinda call it an inside joke

Nightmare_River

[25]Feb 26, 2009
    • level: 4
    Don't anyone get me wrong. I don't dislike subs. In fact, I enjoy them very much. Just not on the same level, that's all.

Well, there are exceptions. If it's a 4Kids dub, I definitely like the sub better.

TBH, my real dub preference are those that are uncut and aren't edited. So while I still watch the TV versions, I just have to buy the uncut version on DVD.

Like I said, though, I still greatly enjoy subs, regardless of my standard preference.

xTokiWartoothx

[26]Feb 26, 2009
    who BUYS things anymore?

Nightmare_River

[27]Feb 26, 2009
    • level: 4
    xTokiWartoothx wrote:
    who BUYS things anymore?

Me.

In total, I think I've spent over a thousand dollars on my current uncut anime collection, not to mention movies and video games.

xTokiWartoothx

[28]Feb 26, 2009
    lol, not me. but then again i don't watch much anime, i don't really even watch much of anything, i get uncomfortable when i'm stuck in front of a screen.

love hulu though, now i can still watch monk, burn notice, and house without having to have a television service. (which i canceled 3 or 4 years ago)

glostlover

[29]Feb 27, 2009
    pikastatic100 wrote:

I would suggest watching the sub, but that doesn't necessarily mean you have to drop the dub altogether. I would also read the manga if you haven't done that yet. Both the manga and the sub keeps you preoccupied while you wait for the dub releases. Also, the airings of the dub should pick up again by March once Viz is done subbing all the Japanese episodes.

As for me, I watch the dub and the sub and read the manga. When you're doing all three, the waiting isn't as intense (for me, anyway).

Heh... Couldn't have said it better myself. I also too watch the dub, sub and read the manga...

xTokiWartoothx

[30]Feb 27, 2009
    glostlover wrote:
    pikastatic100 wrote:

I would suggest watching the sub, but that doesn't necessarily mean you have to drop the dub altogether. I would also read the manga if you haven't done that yet. Both the manga and the sub keeps you preoccupied while you wait for the dub releases. Also, the airings of the dub should pick up again by March once Viz is done subbing all the Japanese episodes.

As for me, I watch the dub and the sub and read the manga. When you're doing all three, the waiting isn't as intense (for me, anyway).

Heh... Couldn't have said it better myself. I also too watch the dub, sub and read the manga...

i only watch sub and read the manga

honestly though i want to quit reading the manga because i think it would make the anime 10 times better when i got to the parts of the manga i didnt read.

silverhorse6291

[31]Mar 1, 2009
    • level: 8
    i really don't care since i can already watch it online at animefuel.com it is in subs but sometimes that is sooo much better and i can watch Shipuuden

Torferleon248

[32]Mar 2, 2009
    • level: 15
    Now I'm tempted to watch subs.

Ranemoraken

[33]Mar 6, 2009
    • level: 20
    xTokiWartoothx wrote:
    glostlover wrote:
    pikastatic100 wrote:

honestly though i want to quit reading the manga because i think it would make the anime 10 times better when i got to the parts of the manga i didnt read.
    that's always been my problem. I don't want to read the manga, but I can't hang out on the internet unless I do because of frequent spoilers in random places. My solution has been simple though, and that's not to reread anything that has already been animated. I'll probably forget most of the details on the way. Especially now that the show is delayed.

Of course I'll still remember the outcome, but if the show does it right, I should still be tickled. (Often in shonen, it's not a question of who will win, but how they'll win.)

xTokiWartoothx

[34]Mar 6, 2009
    Ranemoraken wrote:
    xTokiWartoothx wrote:
    glostlover wrote:
    pikastatic100 wrote:

that's always been my problem. I don't want to read the manga, but I can't hang out on the internet unless I do because of frequent spoilers in random places. My solution has been simple though, and that's not to reread anything that has already been animated. I'll probably forget most of the details on the way. Especially now that the show is delayed.

Of course I'll still remember the outcome, but if the show does it right, I should still be tickled. (Often in shonen, it's not a question of who will win, but how they'll win.)

yeah, i loved naruto's fight with kakuzu for that same reason, i had forgotten almost all of the details. but i miss back thin they day during the chuunin exams. i started reading the manga in 2002, then stopped after the hidden mist arc because i didn't want to spoil anything because i heard about he anime being release, which i started to watch when the third ep. was released, thus dropping the manga. i then picked the manga back up during the kakashi gaiden and have since been unable to stop reading it weekly, if even for my own benefit.

theironbat46

[35]Mar 6, 2009
    • level: 5
    It depends if you want to see the last of Shukaku Gaara again or not. You basically have 3 to 6 options. 1.Wait for CN. 2. Read the manga. 3. Use the internet and speed ahead 4. Watch the rest of the first part of the Naruto subed episodes on the Internet. 5. Drop Naruto all together, And finally...6. Watch the shippeuden subed.

shadowysea07

[36]Mar 8, 2009
    I don't think people have the patience for the dub considering it hasn't aired a new ep in how long?

xTokiWartoothx

[37]Mar 8, 2009
    blah blah blah, you all complain too much.

you got two episodes a week, this is the price you must pay, now you caught up too fast, and have to wait.

sub watchers had to wait nearly two years to get out of filler, you guys covered almost all of them in under a year. heck it took sub watchers 5 years to get through all of part one, you guys almost had it in 3

Tskyonmai07

[38]Mar 8, 2009
    • level: 14

it's sad that the closes we can get to a dubbed naruto: SHUPPUDEN is UN4>_

Edited on 03/08/2009 8:34pm

ChaosBladewing

[39]Mar 8, 2009
    • level: 7
    I really dont know why Cartoon Network has lost interest in Naruto. If Naruto cant pull enough ratings in for them to stay in business...

xTokiWartoothx

[40]Mar 8, 2009
    ChaosBladewing wrote:
    I really dont know why Cartoon Network has lost interest in Naruto. If Naruto cant pull enough ratings in for them to stay in business...

again, they are trying to complete the subs and have them all caught up and archived, they don't have unlimited resources