Naruto Forums

TV Tokyo (ended 2007)

how old was Itachi when Minato was named the 4th and Orochimaru defected?

YoungLink89

[1]Jan 26, 2009
    • level: 18
    it seems that Itachi, who helped murder the Uchiha clan, could've easily been a contender for Hokage at that point (I know that Minato was in his early 20's when he became the 4th; was Itachi in his late teens?). I also know that intenal politics kept the Uchiha isolated from the rest of Konoha, but considering that the Hokage position is supposed to be the most powerful ninja in the village, wouldn't Itachi have been a serious contender outside of Orochimaru/Minato options, or was he still too young at that point? Maybe I'm missing something here because Orochimaru was after Itachi because of the Sharingan. In spite of that, wouldn't it have behooved Orochimaru to go after Minato instead? I'm assuming Orochimaru saw Minato grow as Jiraya's student. Minato was also a genius and is touted as being the most powerful ninja Konoha ever produced, so why didn't Orochimaru try to take over Minato instead? It seems Minato was stronger than Itachi, regardless of the Sharingan.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

narutorox3

[2]Jan 26, 2009
    • level: 9
    YoungLink89 wrote:
    it seems that Itachi, who helped murder the Uchiha clan, could've easily been a contender for Hokage at that point (I know that Minato was in his early 20's when he became the 4th; was Itachi in his late teens?).
    Itachi was in his early teens. He killed the clan when he was 13 I think. But ya Itachi could have been a potential Hokage.

YoungLink89 wrote:
    but considering that the Hokage position is supposed to be the most powerful ninja in the village, wouldn't Itachi have been a serious contender outside of Orochimaru/Minato options, or was he still too young at that point?
    Not sure about age because the 3rd Hokage became Hokage when he was like 12-13. Besides Minato was a better choice anyway.

YoungLink89 wrote:
    In spite of that, wouldn't it have behooved Orochimaru to go after Minato instead?
    Minato didn't have Sharingan.

Frozen_Ice89

[3]Jan 26, 2009
    • level: 2
    Itachi was only five years old when Minato was named Hokage and was thus still in the Academy.

As for Orochimaru, he didn't defect till after Minato died. Plus, it was the Sharingan he was after.

RaizenYusuke

[4]Jan 26, 2009
    • level: 28
    Itachi was like 4 or 5 when Minato became the Fourth. I think there I'm pretty sure Orochimaru created his technique when he was with the Akatsuki, so it explains why Orochimaru didn't go after Minato. I think Hiruzen was 15 or 16 when he became Hokage(still don't think a 12 year old would be hokage).
    Edited on 01/26/2009 5:06pm

nacholibre92

[5]Jan 26, 2009
    • level: 24

narutorox3 wrote:
    Not sure about age because the 3rd Hokage became Hokage when he was like 12-13. Besides Minato was a better choice anyway.

Hiruzen wasn't 12 or 13 when he became Hokage.

narutorox3

[6]Jan 26, 2009
    • level: 9
    nacholibre92 wrote:

narutorox3 wrote:

Well he looks pretty young. http://www.onemanga.com/Naruto/123/14/

Breaker94

[7]Jan 26, 2009
    • level: 24
    narutorox3 wrote:
    nacholibre92 wrote:

narutorox3 wrote:

i thought minato was the youngest to become hokage

RaizenYusuke

[8]Jan 26, 2009
    Breaker94 wrote:
    narutorox3 wrote:
    nacholibre92 wrote:

narutorox3 wrote:

i thought minato was the youngest to become hokage
    No Hiruzen(Third Hokage) was the yongest Hokage and longest regin. I still think he was older then 13 when he became Hokage.

AnimeMadness

[9]Jan 26, 2009
    • level: 22
    Now thinking about it... Minato couldn't have been Hokage for more than a year... After the Second (or is it Third?) Ninja War, Minato became Hokage right? The manga has stated Itachi had seen the horrors of war up until he was four, and he was five when the Kyuubi attacked, meaning Minato died.

Although I'm sure Minato was a great leader, he wouldn't have had the time for most of his policies to be enacted if he was only Hokage for a year. Realistically speaking...

RaizenYusuke

[10]Jan 26, 2009
    AnimeMadness wrote:
    Now thinking about it... Minato couldn't have been Hokage for more than a year... After the Second (or is it Third?) Ninja War, Minato became Hokage right? The manga has stated Itachi had seen the horrors of war up until he was four, and he was five when the Kyuubi attacked, meaning Minato died.

Although I'm sure Minato was a great leader, he wouldn't have had the time for most of his policies to be enacted if he was only Hokage for a year. Realistically speaking...
    I thought Minato was made Hokage towards the end of the war? Yeah I figured at max Minato was Hokage for year and three quaters but minimum of a year.

Tskyonmai07

[11]Jan 26, 2009
    • level: 14
    POOR GUY MINATO didn't even get a whole term

AnimeMadness

[12]Jan 26, 2009
    RaizenYusuke wrote:
    AnimeMadness wrote:

I thought Minato was made Hokage towards the end of the war? Yeah I figured at max Minato was Hokage for year and three quaters but minimum of a year.

I would figure he wasn't made Hokage until after the war. His accomplishments, such as the battle and the destruction of the bridge is what helped Konoha win it, wasn't it? Minato wouldn't have been out fighting in the front lines with his genin team if he was Hokage at that point. I know its their job to protect the village, but being the Hokage is like a desk job. They don't do the physical fighting unless it is absolutely necessary, but at the same time they can't afford to die...

Besides, it really wouldn't have made sense for there to be a change in power during the middle of a major war.

Tskyonmai07

[13]Jan 26, 2009
    AnimeMadness wrote:
    RaizenYusuke wrote:
    AnimeMadness wrote:

I would figure he wasn't made Hokage until after the war. His accomplishments, such as the battle and the destruction of the bridge is what helped Konoha win it, wasn't it? Minato wouldn't have been out fighting in the front lines with his genin team if he was Hokage at that point. I know its their job to protect the village, but being the Hokage is like a desk job. They don't do the physical fighting unless it is absolutely necessary, but at the same time they can't afford to die...

Besides, it really wouldn't have made sense for there to be a change in power during the middle of a major war.
    maybe he was different as hokage and suggested he would go out in fight it's not odd to see the leader of a regime fighting along side his people during a war i think once naruto becomes hokage he will take up this same ideal seeing how fed up he is about protecting the village

RaizenYusuke

[14]Jan 26, 2009
    AnimeMadness wrote:
    RaizenYusuke wrote:
    AnimeMadness wrote:

I don't remember Gaiden I was thinking the bridge destruction was just a major victory which help lead to winning the war not winning the war it's self. I figured a power change in the middle of the war would discourage people who thought Hiruzen was old from trying to attack Konoha directly and we know Minato as Konoha's Yellow Flash was one of the most feared shinobi in the war. Kishi never really clear with the his timeline.

Tskyonmai07

[15]Jan 26, 2009
    RaizenYusuke wrote:
    AnimeMadness wrote:
    RaizenYusuke wrote:
    AnimeMadness wrote:

I don't remember Gaiden I was thinking the bridge destruction was just a major victory which help lead to winning the war not winning the war it's self. I figured a power change in the middle of the war would discourage people who thought Hiruzen was old from trying to attack Konoha directly and we know Minato as Konoha's Yellow Flash was one of the most feared shinobi in the war. Kishi never really clear with the his timeline.
    why dosen't he take time to draw a timeline on a two-page spread before a chapter so we can refer to that as our source instead of hitch-hiking through the Manga every time a question like this comes up

AnimeMadness

[16]Jan 26, 2009
    Tskyonmai07 wrote:
    maybe he was different as hokage and suggested he would go out in fight it's not odd to see the leader of a regime fighting along side his people during a war i think once naruto becomes hokage he will take up this same ideal seeing how fed up he is about protecting the village

Its not odd... in ancient times. In the modern era you never see the leader of a country fight along side a regime. In Naruto-verse's case I believe the Hokage wouldn't fight unless the village was being attacked directly. Its not like its cowardice, they just need to stay alive so that the village doesn't collapse, especially during a war. Naruto is definitely the type who would want to go and fight as the Hokage, but I very much doubt the Elders would even let him leave the village. Tsunade never left it since the time she became Hokage.
    RaizenYusuke wrote:
    I figured a power change in the middle of the war would discourage people who thought Hiruzen was old from trying to attack Konoha directly and we know Minato as Konoha's Yellow Flash was one of the most feared shinobi in the war. Kishi never really clear with the his timeline.

It can go either way. Its the perfect time to attack just as the change is in transaction because there would be a brief moment of chaos within the government. It takes some time before a new leader has everything in order. But countries would also be cautious to attack since they would have to endure the retaliation of the new leader who could be someone as terrifying as Minato was.

In the case of Iwa as a whole, it does seem like a village rash enough to attack at anytime regardless of who is in charge of Konoha.
    Edited on 01/26/2009 7:56pm

RaizenYusuke

[17]Jan 26, 2009
    The fact that Hiruzen wouldn't give his title to Itachi who at or beyond his level at 13 is one of the reason I do not think Hiruzen was 13 when he became Hokage.

Frozen_Ice89

[18]Jan 26, 2009
    • level: 2
    I'm gonna have to disagree with the 'elders never letting Naruto leave' thing.

Konoha is a military state and its leader, the Hokage, has absolute power. It's a dictatorship, not a democracy.

The advisers, as their title implies, can advise the Hokage, but the Hokage is above them in both power and authority.

RaizenYusuke

[19]Jan 26, 2009
    Well I think there are somethings that the advisors can over rule the Hokage for, like how Danzo could send Sai as a replacement for Sasuke despite Tsunade stronger disagreeing with it. The Hokage going out on missions seem to be one of those things they have a say in.

Rafie26

[20]Jan 27, 2009
    • level: 11
    Yeah Frozen, don't forget the fact that the advisors "overuled" Hiruzen for the massacre of the Uchihas also. It might be a power of checks and balances with the decisions. Not really sure tho. Just an assumption I spotted. Remember Hiruzen was totally against it, but the advisors (especially Danzo) pushed the issue.