Naruto Forums

TV Tokyo (ended 2007)

Is Sasuke a better main character than Naruto? *SPOILERS*

SSJAiden

[1]Aug 27, 2008
    • level: 3

Ok, just for the record I am a Sasuke fanboy, but I will try to be as objective as I can here.

I feel Sasuke has been a much MUCH more interesting character than Naruto throughout the whole series, but especially in Shippuden. Pretime skip, Naruto was a good main character. He was outcasted by the town, he had no friends and family, and had to bear a terrible burden of loneliness. He worked hard and got stronger, and made friends and changed some people's lives, it seems that all of Naruto's character development was done pre-time skip. I think in Shippuden, Naruto has been an unrealistic whiney loser. All he wants to do is bring Sasuke back to Konoha. Has Naruto ever even thought what would happen if he beat Sasuke and brought him back? Sasuke would leave the second he was healthy enough. What is Naruto going to do, permanently break his legs to keep him from leaving? When Tsunade informs them that Sasuke killed Orochimaru, Naruto goes, "does that mean Sasuke is coming back?" DERRR NO IT DOESNT YOU IDIOT!!!!!!! Does he even know Sasuke? He willingly left to train under Oro, not kill him!!! His goal is to kill Itachi you freaking moron!! And the fact that he has no variety doesn't help at all, Rasengan was cool about 150 episodes ago, learn some new moves will ya!

Sasuke is more interesting because he is always changing to new information, he isn't set in stone like Naruto. His backstory is just as interesting to me, if not moreso than Naruto's. Having his family and everyone he ever loved killed off by his own brother is a horrifying ideal, and having those bonds and losing them is more painful IMO than never having them like Naruto. Fast forward a little bit, and he was so set on revenge on Itachi, yet when Kakashi talked to him after his fight with Naruto, you could see Sasuke struggle with his emotions. He did have good friends, he had new bonds with people, yet his desire for revenge was so strong, had the sound ninja not showed up then it seems evident to me that he would have struggled more with his decision, I do think he would have chosen to go for revenge though. After finally getting his revenge on Itatchi, Madara reveals the truth (maybe) that Itachi was protecting Sasuke all along. Sasuke clearly struggles to accept this, as this would mean his desire for revenge has been pointed at the wrong people. After accepting Madara's words, instead of carrying out Itachi's wishes, Sasuke decides to use this new information and try to bring justice to the people who deserve it, Konoha's elders.

All in all, I think Sasuke will continue to be much more involved in the plot and he will keep developing as a chatracter, while Naruto is just kind of hanging around and along for the ride in Shippuden.

Edited on 08/27/2008 7:39pm
    Edited 3 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

SSj022

[2]Aug 27, 2008
    • level: 16
    Looks like there is going to be some trouble .

microwave234

[3]Aug 27, 2008
    • level: 9
    I don't know about main character but I like Sasuke better than Naruto.

SmOkInG_sHiKa

[4]Aug 27, 2008
    • level: 11
    uhh...no

master_m11

[5]Aug 27, 2008
    • level: 12
    this thread is going to be dangerous. anyway i do think sasuke is more interesting than naruto

SSJAiden

[6]Aug 27, 2008

SmOkInG_sHiKa wrote:
    uhh...no

uhh...why?

FrozenTundra88

[7]Aug 27, 2008
    I like Naruto more. I just like his archetype better.

As for the whole elders thing, Danzo's the only one who really merits execution.

penciltrick17

[8]Aug 27, 2008
    • level: 10
    I really respect you're opinion because from the get-go you admitted to being a fanboy and clearly explained why you have the opinion you do. And almost everything you said was correct. At this point, Sasuke has had more of a detailed and plot-oriented character developement than Naruto. However, Naruto's character developement is not finished quite yet. The way you mentioned how Naruto is being stupid about bringing Sasuke back is the whole point. Naruto is completely naive at this point and he knows it. His story is more of a coming of age story than anything and Sasuke is what is forcing him to grow up. So, Sasuke's detailed plot is completely necessary only because the choices he makes are what forces Naruto to accept the facts and grow up. Right now, Naruto believes he can have everything turn out his way just by sticking to his word that he will bring Sasuke back. If Sasuke attacks Konoha Naruto will have to accept the fact that he may have to kill Sasuke. This would force him to realize that not everything turns out the way they would in a fairy tale and he can grow up. At this point, Kishi can go two seperate directions with the character. One is that he kills Sasuke and realizes that no matter what happens, sometimes you have to do things you don't want to do for the greater good. If Naruto doesn't kill Sasuke, than Kishi goes with the theme that determination can make anything possible and Naruto has showed that to the world. Either way, the point of Sasuke it to force Naruto to grow, besides reinforcing some minor themes of course.
    Edited on 08/27/2008 7:40pm

jujutheking

[9]Aug 27, 2008
    SSj022 wrote:
    TC just because u hate naruto u shouldn't say he is a bad Main character.Naruto struggle is just has important.The reason Naruto wants to bring him back because he feels that an Hokage should be able to accomplish this goal.Sasuke is also his best friend and they also connect to each other.(no parents) IMO sasuke story is better then naruto, but thats my opinion.People have made some good arguments for Naruto Story being just has good.

GaaraOfTheFunk6

[10]Aug 27, 2008
    • level: 7
    The reason why Sasuke is as popular as he is hated, is because he is Naruto's rival, so I don't think he would fit as a main character.

SSJAiden

[11]Aug 27, 2008

FrozenTundra88 wrote:
    I like Naruto more. I just like his archetype better. As for the whole elders thing, Danzo's the only one who really merits execution.

I liked Naruto a lot pre time skip. But you can't tell me he's been a good main character in Shippuden. Jiraiya told him how childish he was for wanting to bring Sasuke back in the last episode before the time skip, even Itachi tells him when Naruto says he would refuse to kill Sasuke and would protect the village without killing him. We have a main character who is unwilling to change and naively thinks that bonds from three years ago will bring back his former friend.

SSJAiden

[12]Aug 27, 2008

penciltrick17 wrote:
    I really respect you're opinion because from the get-go you admitted to being a fanboy and clearly explained why you have the opinion you do. And almost everything you said was correct. At this point, Sasuke has had more of a detailed and plot-oriented character developement than Naruto. However, Naruto's character developement is not finished quite yet. The way you mentioned how Naruto is being stupid about bringing Sasuke back is the whole point. Naruto is completely naive at this point and he knows it. His story is more of a coming of age story than anything and Sasuke is what is forcing him to grow up. So, Sasuke's detailed plot is completely necessary only because the choices he makes are what forces Naruto to accept the facts and grow up. Right now, Naruto believes he can have everything turn out his way just by sticking to his word that he will bring Sasuke back. If Sasuke attacks Konoha Naruto will have to accept the fact that he may have to kill Sasuke. This would force him to realize that not everything turns out the way they would in a fairy tale and he can grow up. At this point, Kishi can go two seperate directions with the character. One is that he kills Sasuke and realizes that no matter what happens, sometimes you have to do things you don't want to do for the greater good. If Naruto doesn't kill Sasuke, than Kishi goes with the theme that determination can make anything possible and Naruto has showed that to the world. Either way, the point of Sasuke it to force Naruto to grow, besides reinforcing some minor themes of course.

If Naruto ends up realizing that he can't live in this childish world and have things always work out, I will definitely gain a lot more respect for him. If I haven't already said it, I do like Naruto a lot but I just don't like him very much in Shippuden. If he kills Sasuke, as much as that would break my heart, it would be pretty cool and would be an incredibly interesting development to the series and to Naruto himself. The argument can't be made until the whole series is over, but as of now I think Sasuke is a better character.

Tanks for a very good and respectful and detailed post, you made me think of a few things I didn't think of.

SSj022

[13]Aug 27, 2008
    jujutheking wrote:
    SSj022 wrote:
    TC just because u hate naruto u shouldn't say he is a bad Main character.Naruto struggle is just has important.The reason Naruto wants to bring him back because he feels that an Hokage should be able to accomplish this goal.Sasuke is also his best friend and they also connect to each other.(no parents) IMO sasuke story is better then naruto, but thats my opinion.People have made some good arguments for Naruto Story being just has good.

Umm, why did you quote me? I meant it as joke because I was predicting an argument between Naruto and Sasuke fans.

FrozenTundra88

[14]Aug 27, 2008
    SSJAiden wrote:

FrozenTundra88 wrote:
    I like Naruto more. I just like his archetype better. As for the whole elders thing, Danzo's the only one who really merits execution.

I liked Naruto a lot pre time skip. But you can't tell me he's been a good main character in Shippuden. Jiraiya told him how childish he was for wanting to bring Sasuke back in the last episode before the time skip, even Itachi tells him when Naruto says he would refuse to kill Sasuke and would protect the village without killing him. We have a main character who is unwilling to change and naively thinks that bonds from three years ago will bring back his former friend.

That's sorta the point of his character development. Naruto has been slowly maturing as the series has progressed.

Heck, he may find himself with some hard choices in future chapters, but we won't know until they actually happen.

I just like Naruto better, pre-timeskip and post-timeskip.

YoungLink89

[16]Aug 27, 2008
    • level: 18
    SSJAiden wrote:

Ok, just for the record I am a Sasuke fanboy, but I will try to be as objective as I can here.

I feel Sasuke has been a much MUCH more interesting character than Naruto throughout the whole series, but especially in Shippuden. Pretime skip, Naruto was a good main character. He was outcasted by the town, he had no friends and family, and had to bear a terrible burden of loneliness. He worked hard and got stronger, and made friends and changed some people's lives, it seems that all of Naruto's character development was done pre-time skip. I think in Shippuden, Naruto has been an unrealistic whiney loser. All he wants to do is bring Sasuke back to Konoha. Has Naruto ever even thought what would happen if he beat Sasuke and brought him back? Sasuke would leave the second he was healthy enough. What is Naruto going to do, permanently break his legs to keep him from leaving? When Tsunade informs them that Sasuke killed Orochimaru, Naruto goes, "does that mean Sasuke is coming back?" DERRR NO IT DOESNT YOU IDIOT!!!!!!! Does he even know Sasuke? He willingly left to train under Oro, not kill him!!! His goal is to kill Itachi you freaking moron!! And the fact that he has no variety doesn't help at all, Rasengan was cool about 150 episodes ago, learn some new moves will ya!

Sasuke is more interesting because he is always changing to new information, he isn't set in stone like Naruto. His backstory is just as interesting to me, if not moreso than Naruto's. Having his family and everyone he ever loved killed off by his own brother is a horrifying ideal, and having those bonds and losing them is more painful IMO than never having them like Naruto. Fast forward a little bit, and he was so set on revenge on Itachi, yet when Kakashi talked to him after his fight with Naruto, you could see Sasuke struggle with his emotions. He did have good friends, he had new bonds with people, yet his desire for revenge was so strong, had the sound ninja not showed up then it seems evident to me that he would have struggled more with his decision, I do think he would have chosen to go for revenge though. After finally getting his revenge on Itatchi, Madara reveals the truth (maybe) that Itachi was protecting Sasuke all along. Sasuke clearly struggles to accept this, as this would mean his desire for revenge has been pointed at the wrong people. After accepting Madara's words, instead of carrying out Itachi's wishes, Sasuke decides to use this new information and try to bring justice to the people who deserve it, Konoha's elders.

All in all, I think Sasuke will continue to be much more involved in the plot and he will keep developing as a chatracter, while Naruto is just kind of hanging around and along for the ride in Shippuden.

I agree with alot of The points you made about sasuke's character being deeper and more developed than Naruto's i also agree naruto is way to dead set on bringing sasuke back Because sasuke will only come back if he wants too even if naruto does manage to drag Him back the second sasuke isn't under surveillance he could leave again just like that, I Still don't Know however which character would make the better main character as Sasuke Has flaws to but is definitely the most realistic of the two

Edited on 08/27/2008 7:53pm
    Edited 2 total times.

penciltrick17

[17]Aug 27, 2008
    • level: 10
    SSJAiden wrote:

penciltrick17 wrote:

If Naruto ends up realizing that he can't live in this childish world and have things always work out, I will definitely gain a lot more respect for him. If I haven't already said it, I do like Naruto a lot but I just don't like him very much in Shippuden. If he kills Sasuke, as much as that would break my heart, it would be pretty cool and would be an incredibly interesting development to the series and to Naruto himself. The argument can't be made until the whole series is over, but as of now I think Sasuke is a better character.

Tanks for a very good and respectful and detailed post, you made me think of a few things I didn't think of.

Thank you. I'm just glad to share my opinion.

jujutheking

[18]Aug 27, 2008
    SSj022 wrote:
    jujutheking wrote:
    SSj022 wrote:

Umm, why did you quote me? I meant it as joke because I was predicting an argument between Naruto and Sasuke fans.
    lol sorry

SakuraAmy17

[19]Aug 28, 2008
    • level: 4
    I like Sasuke and Naruto but, I'd have 2 say when controlling raw power, Naruto would be better.that kills me 2 say that.(BTW I have never came across someone who can admitt 2 being a fanboy of Sasuke.That takes guts.)

Eddy654

[20]Aug 28, 2008
    • level: 18

Nope I dont think so... For obvious reason's and also I dont even really like Sasuke more than Naruto so I couldnt consider him a better main character. If your talking about plot wise than yeah it's possible but just overall no. I just wish Naruto would just forget about saving Sasuke, it's getting kinda...annoying. But once he does that I'll fell much better about him but he's already my favorite character now I dont wanna be a fanboy. We'll luckily Naruto is maturing...