Naruto Forums

TV Tokyo (ended 2007)

Official Naruto Shippuden DUB Pre-Discussion Thread (NO SPOILERS)

How excited are you for the Shippuden dub?

Eddy654

[41]Nov 29, 2008
    • level: 18
    slmcknett wrote:
    6-9 year olds? wtf?! at this point, its probably true, though. i mean, they took out ALL of the swearing in the mangas (they even re-translated the earlier volumes to take out swearing) despite the fact that shonen jump is rating T for teen (and last time i checked, ALL teens swear at times), and know their dubbing naruto for younger viewers. as somewhat excited for shippuden as i am, they better dub it on adult swim, or i'll probably never watch it...
    Are you talking about the Viz edited manga volumes, and also there is uncut dvds out.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Ranemoraken

[42]Nov 29, 2008
    • level: 20
    I think the show has a fine balance. Personally, I rewound when Raiza told Naruto "I'm getting real tired of your S***, boy" but most shows don't need that to get the point across. It's funnier if a show holds their tongue except for once in a while.

Eddy654

[43]Nov 29, 2008
    • level: 18
    Ranemoraken wrote:
    I think the show has a fine balance. Personally, I rewound when Raiza told Naruto "I'm getting real tired of your S***, boy" but most shows don't need that to get the point across. It's funnier if a show holds their tongue except for once in a while.
    His name was Raiga.

StarCannon30

[44]Nov 29, 2008
    • level: 7
    penciltrick17 wrote:
    StarCannon30 wrote:
    penciltrick17 wrote:
    All I can say is that I'm glad Viz takes care of Naruto fans, because Cartoonnetwork sure doesn't. One episode every two weeks sure isn't fanservice, probably because the ratings have gone down since the fillers started, just goes to show where there priorities lie.
    Ratings only went down because of what they did to Toonami.
    They moved Naruto to the one episode per two week schedule right after they got rid of toonami so ratings were probably already down. If anything, they got rid of toonami because of the low ratings, not the other way around.

They only got low ratings for what they did. They made it from 6 days a week to one day a week then going from 4 hours down to 2 hours a week. It was CN's fault they got low ratings.
    Ranemoraken wrote:

What's wrong with that line?

Ranemoraken

[45]Nov 29, 2008
    Nothing wrong with the line. That's why I rewound. I was all, "What? That almost made this crappy arc worth it." Fortunately, I watch all my anime with someone else, so if it's really bad, we just make fun of it. Thus, it's hard for me to hate anything.

Oh man, I'm gonna be so up in this thread. All the time, It's Raney-time.

X-626

[46]Nov 29, 2008
    • level: 51
    Ranemoraken wrote:
    Nothing wrong with the line. That's why I rewound. I was all, "What? That almost made this crappy arc worth it." Fortunately, I watch all my anime with someone else, so if it's really bad, we just make fun of it. Thus, it's hard for me to hate anything.

I believe the word was "crap", not "s***". Think about it, "crap" flows better, and yes, CN STILL has to censor it. It you want further proof, look at the CN version Total Drama Island.

penciltrick17

[47]Nov 29, 2008
    • level: 10
    StarCannon30 wrote:
    penciltrick17 wrote:
    StarCannon30 wrote:
    penciltrick17 wrote:
    All I can say is that I'm glad Viz takes care of Naruto fans, because Cartoonnetwork sure doesn't. One episode every two weeks sure isn't fanservice, probably because the ratings have gone down since the fillers started, just goes to show where there priorities lie.
    Ratings only went down because of what they did to Toonami.
    They moved Naruto to the one episode per two week schedule right after they got rid of toonami so ratings were probably already down. If anything, they got rid of toonami because of the low ratings, not the other way around.
    They only got low ratings for what they did. They made it from 6 days a week to one day a week then going from 4 hours down to 2 hours a week. It was CN's fault they got low ratings.
    Ranemoraken wrote:
    What's wrong with that line?
    Ohh, you're talking about everything they did to toonami, I thought you just meant canceling it. Well, that doesn't really affect Naruto much. When they started airing it toonami was already exclusive to saturdays. Even when they moved from 4 hours to 2 hours Naruto never really changed timeslots so that still doesn't really affect it. When Naruto entered the Sasuke Retrieval arc, ratings probably went even higher than what they already were so they started airing it twice a week. Once it went into fillers, ratings probably went down so they decided to show it less, forgot about the fans, and moved to once every two weeks. Which was an even worse move because ratings are just gonna go down even more.

Twilight_Field

[48]Nov 29, 2008
    • level: 2
    Well, they did show it once a week for a time.

Tonight's a movie marathon, so they can't do it this time.

Hopefully, part 1 has a marathon towards the final stretch, so we can get to the Shippuden dub even sooner.

BTW, not sure if I already brought this up, but I think the existing VAs will keep their roles and new VAs will be reserved for new characters.

The exception being if a VA already working on the dub takes on another role like Crispin Freeman, Kate Higgins, and Steven Blum have.

Ranemoraken

[49]Nov 29, 2008
    X-626 wrote:
    Ranemoraken wrote:

I believe the word was "crap", not "s***". Think about it, "crap" flows better, and yes, CN STILL has to censor it. It you want further proof, look at the CN version Total Drama Island.
    I thought about that too, but I played the episode again (At the time) Raiga cleary gets off a "s" sound before the silence kicks in. It certainly could not be crap.

firefox59

[50]Nov 29, 2008
    • level: 19
    X-626 wrote:
    Ranemoraken wrote:

Are you guys saying the dub cursed? Anyways that whole arc had major problems. Using fillers as examples is pointless.

akatsuki_agent7

[51]Nov 29, 2008
    • level: 4
    firefox59 wrote:
    X-626 wrote:
    Ranemoraken wrote:

Are you guys saying the dub cursed? Anyways that whole arc had major problems. Using fillers as examples is pointless.

i remember on another forum they made such a big deal out of characters cursing in the fillers. i can't really remember clearly what they said but the whole discussion was stupid and pathetic.

Twilight_Field

[52]Nov 29, 2008
    Ranemoraken wrote:
    I thought about that too, but I played the episode again (At the time) Raiga cleary gets off a "s" sound before the silence kicks in. It certainly could not be crap.

I don't think the 'S' word would be allowed.

Heck, they didn't even say the 'S' word in the uncut version of Deathnote.

firefox59 wrote:

The dub curses quite a bit if you buy the uncut version.

BAC510

[53]Nov 29, 2008
    • level: 26
    Finally, a place where fellow Naruto Users have a Anime-Based Icon, feels like home! Anyways, I would rather have Naruto on TV b/c I do have a computer but what about those who don't? They can't go to Librairies & go to that website, or can they? I think they are keeping their Naruto Part 1 VA's though, did the Japanese Version keep the VA's?

StarCannon30

[54]Nov 29, 2008
    Ranemoraken wrote:
    X-626 wrote:
    Ranemoraken wrote:

They wouldn't even silence crap anyway. Its not that bad of a word.

X-626

[55]Nov 30, 2008
    • level: 51
    StarCannon30 wrote:
    Ranemoraken wrote:
    X-626 wrote:
    Ranemoraken wrote:

Yes, they would silence it. As I said, look at all of the edits they made when they aired Total Drama. "Crap" is a word younger children shouldn't hear in CN's mind. Naruto is rated "TV-PG", meaning it's still all right for children to watch it so long as parents are around, and it's not rated PG because of the language.

But anyway, enough of that! Let's drop this discussion. We'll know what it was once the uncut DVD comes out.

Back to the Shippuden dub discussion.

StarCannon30

[56]Nov 30, 2008
    X-626 wrote:
    StarCannon30 wrote:
    Ranemoraken wrote:
    X-626 wrote:
    Ranemoraken wrote:

Yes, they would silence it. As I said, look at all of the edits they made when they aired Total Drama. "Crap" is a word younger children shouldn't hear in CN's mind. Naruto is rated "TV-PG", meaning it's still all right for children to watch it so long as parents are around, and it's not rated PG because of the language.

But anyway, enough of that! Let's drop this discussion. We'll know what it was once the uncut DVD comes out.

Back to the Shippuden dub discussion.

No they wouldn't. They didn't censor it in One Piece when Nami had said it so they wouldn't censor it in Naruto. Its just idiotic parents who think words like that are bad. They honestly don't deserve to have kids because they are so stupid.

Ranemoraken

[57]Nov 30, 2008
    Ugh, sorry gentlemen. On AS tonight (saturday) They're advertising a movie for next week. The next new naruto is on december 13th, and only one episode.

Guess we're making up for the double time.

Twilight_Field

[58]Nov 30, 2008
    Just to make it clear, they have censored the word 'crap' before in the Chuunin Exam Arc.

In uncut boxset 5, you hear it being said, but it wasn't said in the TV version.

On the actual topic of this thread, there are a lot of things I'm looking forward to.

Voices of older characters and newly introduced characters, mostly Akatsuki, being one of them.

springBOOB

[59]Dec 1, 2008
    • level: 11
    Let's start with discussing who Sasori's VA will be. I option Johnny Yong Bosch.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yG8ypQ-Yn0

Ranemoraken

[60]Dec 1, 2008
    Nah... I really like him as a VA, but I'd kind of like a soft sinister VA. Someone who can easily portray . Also, the same VA should... [spoiler] be able to do both Hiruko and Sasori [spoiler]