Naruto

TV Tokyo (ended 2007)

X-626

Naruto Fan Reviews (1557)

• This review is for both Naruto and Naruto: Shippuden

I've watched a lot of Naruto, so I know a lot of what happens. But, I'm sorry everybody, I don't think this show is nearly as great as so many people say. This is just my personal opinion, and I have several problems with Naruto. But don't get me wrong, this anime is nowhere near bad. It's just disappointing.

And the weird thing is that, I should like Naruto. It has a relatively good story in the beginning and some pretty spectacular fight scenes. But it also has more problems in than I had originally hadn't even thought of. Firstly, the art style looks much less refined during the fight scenes, and I never really liked Naruto's animation style to begin with, not to mention some shaky camera action. Secondly, the show seems too much like a shonen anime. I know that probably doesn't make sense, since Naruto is a shonen, but if you stop and think about it, this show has so many elements that you would normally see in a shonen that it kind of makes Naruto's story less interesting. Thirdly, the fillers drag on forever. Not just the seperate plots, I mean they dragged on to the point where they continued for almost 100 episodes after Naruto and Sasuke's battle and into Naruto: Shippuden. And don't even get me started on Shippuden's many, many annoying filler arcs that completely diluded what little of the story was still interesting.

However, my biggest problem with Naruto is it's characters, particularly the main characters. Naruto is the most likable of the three. Granted, almost every time he talks he practically shouts, which was more than a little annoying, but he also knew how to talk to people and make the unlikable characters see the faults in their sometimes twisted ideals. Plus, I really sympathize with his backstory, to the point where I wanted to cry from all the abuse he went through for growing up with something that he couldn't control. Next is Sakura, and I'm just gonna come out and say it, I cannot stand this bitch. I'm really sorry if you like her, but really! For practically the whole first series, she hardly did anything. Not to mention her constant pining over Sasuke was very gratting, and it made feel sorry for Naruto even more for loving this stupid girl. Speaking of Sasuke. He was very cool in the beginning of the series. Yeah, he was kind of an arrogant emo, but he started getting a little better after befriending Naruto. Then he joined Orochimaru, and he immediately went back to that arrogant emo attitude. Seriously? And he became even worse than he was before by also whining often. However, most of the side characters like Rock Lee, Hinata, Shikamaru, Tsunade and Kakashi are pretty cool.

Naruto is one of the most reviewed shows on this site, so I know that it's very popular. But I just don't see what makes everyone say that this is one of the greatest animes ever made. Most of the characters aren't likable, the plot feels like a generic shonen plot, and it just goes on and on and on because of all the pointless filler that they decided to add. Great fighting unfortunately can't carry a show to greatness on it's own, and that's pretty much how Naruto is. If you really like it, that's completely fine, maybe you see something that I'm missing. But I believe that Naruto is overrated.