Naruto

The Vessel Arrives Too Late

Aired Thursday 7:30 PM Dec 01, 2007 on TV Tokyo

• Watching Orochimaru bleed while taking a shower, so exciting!

This episode was very story driven as Orochimaru got desperate and used his body transfer technique earlier than expected without using Sasuke as a container. It also introduced an enemy that was mentioned by Kidomaru earlier who was supposed to be Orochimaru's original vessel. Plus how the Shikamaru team retrieved Sasuke was a very impressive plan. However like every other Naruto episode, it is cluttered with filler and flashbacks that really holds the great aspects of it down, and seeing Orochimaru bleed in the shower for a good three minutes was disturbing which followed up with the entire flashback of how the Third stole the life of his arms. Would have been a good episode if this filler was not present.
  • A new opponent is introduced.

Shikamaru, Naruto, and Kiba are starting to catch the last two sound ninjas, Tayuya and Sakon. It is getting dark and Kiba and Naruto want to catch them now, but Shikamaru tells them that they must wait until sunrise because his juutsu needs more light plus they would not be able to use the advantage they now have. Then we move to where Orochimaru's hideout is. It seams that Tayuya and Sakon will arrive too late for Orochimaru to transfer himself to Sasuke. Kabuta insists that Orochimaru transfer now and goes to find a new "body". After releasing several prisoners that they have Kabuta reveals that only one will be set free, the one that is the last one standing. After the fight Orochimaru transfers to the ninja's body. We are also introduced to another powerful Sound Ninja named Kimimaro who now will go and bring Sasuke to Orochimaru.
  • It was okay

What goes down in this episode is Orochimaru, his body left useless after his failed invasion of Konoha, anxiously waits for Sasuke so that he can switch to Sasuke's body. Although he puts it off for as long as he can, hoping that the Sound Four will arrive in time, his body brings him too much pain and he is forced to switch to the body of one of his prisoners. Elsewhere, the retrieval team catches up with the Sound Four and engages them in battle. It was okay, but it needed more fighting to keep me happy. Thunder was here!!!
  • The Retrival Squad finally catches up to Sakon and Tayuya

Sasuke's former classmates and rescuers finally catch up to his kidnappers!!!!! Well, only 3 of his friends get there. Neji and Choji were left behind to fight Kidomaru and Jirobo. Tayuya and Sakon are starting to get worried. Especially since Kiba managed to steal Sasuke's coffin away from them. It was funny when they were thinking about attacking them in chibi style. Especially the part where they were stumbling around in the dark. Anyway, Kuba snatces the coffin and they start to run away, but Sakon tackles him and they fall down the cliff, and Kiba tosses the coffin to Naruto. Meanwhile, Kabuto's monitoring Kimimaro, who decides he's going to join Tayuya and Sakon.
  • Shikamaru, Naruto, and Kiba try to get the barrel with Sasuke in it while the final member of the once Sound Ninja Five arrives to serve Orochimaru one last time before he dies.

Not bad. After Neji defeated the second member of the Sound Five, Naruto, Shikamaru, and Kiba catch up to Tayuya and Sakon and devise a plan to take the barrel with Sasuke in it. Sakon uses the curse to catch up and Kimomaro arrives. Orochimaru finds the person who he will have to use their body since his own is too painful because of the curse the 3rd Hokage left on him. They dubbed all of Tayuya's lines into corny things, lol. Kimimaro's voice sounded a bit weird. He sounded less evil in the dub than he did in the original, but it wasn't that bad.
  • I loved this episode, but it was both inspiring and chilling. Shikamaru shows off his smarts and leadership skills... Orochimaru shows off his decomposing body... Kabuto shows off his weird evilness. (Spoilers ahead)

This episode starts off with Shikamaru explaining to his comrades why they must wait until light to strike and steal the Sasuke-barrel. I was impressed with Shikamaru's foresight and tactical skills, but I was even more impressed by his cool head when his teammates questioned his plan. Now the next part...*Shudder* I've only watched the Japanese-subtitled version, and gosh, I had a hard time listening to that, much less watching it. Orochimaru... screaming and spluttering in agony... naked... bleeding in the shower??? Blood and skin and who-knows-what-else falling from his arms-- it reminded me of the remake of "The Fly!" And Kabuto's chastising Oro, verbally slapping some sense into him... um, "taking care" of everything...ooooh, he's naughty. I wonder who's really more evil, Oro or him?

I am ashamed to say it, but I loved seeing the part where Oro ran out of time and had to perform the Forbidden Jutsu. It answered a lot of my questions about just how he does it. I felt very sorry for that poor random tough guy prisoner, though, who just fought his way to victory, only to get THAT as a reward... and he got to make a last request, knowing full well that Oro was probably lying when he said he'd grant the request. :(

All in all, it was a great episode but quite macabre. If you like that kind of stuff, you would love this eppy.