Nathan Barley

Episode One

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Feb 11, 2005 on Channel 4

7.8
  • A brother and sister struggle with their work-lives. An amateur internet film maker just might be able to help them both. Although it's low-budget, and only minutes long, this episode was pretty funny (and smart).

The world of the idiots! That is the message writer Dan Ashcoft is trying to send in his magazine article about how todays culture is nursing a decaying youth. Unfortunately, the magazine he works for is full of them. While he tries to work, his co-workers are riding toy trucks, and playing raunchy games.

His sister Claire in not much better off. She is trying to pitch off her movie idea, but the executives she speaks to are no higher on the evolutionary chain than Dan's co-workers (well maybe a little).

In comes Nathan, the host of a website that promotes the idiotic, and caters to the exact audience that Dan criticizes. However, when he comes across the brother and sister, they're able to hit it off.

I really liked this show. It made me laugh a few times, which is pretty good considering the episode is only a few minutes long. As for the writing, I really liked how the show incorporates the things Dan hates most in his co-workers, the people he must interact with the most. Also, I liked how Dan was established as a hypocrite early in this episode, since he is partially becoming what he hates. This is a pretty good episode, and I can't wait until I have the chance to see the next one.