Nature

Sunday 8:00 PM on PBS Premiered Oct 10, 1982 In Season

Nature Fan Reviews (3)

• I don't go out of my way to watch it, but if I had TiVo, I'd TiVo it. It's the best "nature" documentary. I hate the sensationalizm of all of the copycat shows. Just add interesting new information that I wasn't taught when I was six. Fun for all ages.

I'm all for disagreement, but at least let me know what you disagree with.

I don't go out of my way to watch it, but if I had TiVo, I'd TiVo it. It's the best "nature" documentary. I hate the sensationalizm of all the copycat shows. Just add interesting new information that I wasn't taught when I was six. Fun for all ages. I like Nova too so I get them mixed up when they cross boundaries, but I like the stuff about volcanos, the water life in the "Devils Whole" in the dessert (I think that's what it's called). There was a show about killer whales in Puget sound talking about the effects of sonar on whales as well as differences between local and nomadic whales that was cool. Animals that I've never seen before, previously unknown facts about animals, the psychology of animals and other stuff like that are all interesting.
  • Science in the real world. An engrossing look at the beautiful flora and fauna all around us.

What's on a lemur's mind most of the day? How are the denizens of a game preserve holding out? How do governments across the world strive to stop poaching and protect rare species?

These and other stories are told in thorough but never dull fashion in this long-running documentary show. Episodes are shot on location, so the vitality of the Serengeti, the Gobi or Yellowstone become immediate for you.

If you thought biology was supposed to be boring, think again. Whether it's about a look at bird life in the rain forest, how wolves and humans cross paths on lands in and near the national parks, a polar bear's quest for food or the life cycle of wild horses, 'Nature' is always honest and refreshing.

• "Nature" is a high-quality documentary series appealing to anyone with an interest in the natural world. New episodes are often punctuated by repeats, which is a good thing because there are many great episodes worth re-seeing.

I grew up as a child watching "Nature" every Sunday night at 8 PM. The program gave me a deep and wonderful interest in wildlife and the natural world. This documentary series is not a children's program, however, and it is not a boring educational program either. "Nature" has something to offer to anyone interested in learning something new.
    The show has been running since October 10, 1982 (I'm not that old; I started watching it in the 90s) and is still going strong. The series is one of the most popular documentary series, and for good reason. Each episode has a different flavor thanks to different filmmakers and sponsors, but overall the program is well-made and engaging.
    Inevitably, of course, some gems shine brighter than others. Among my favorite episodes are "Australia's Little Assassins," which examines venomous animals in Australia, and "Hippo Beach," a humorous and revealing look at the life of hippos. The show primarily focuses on wildlife and ecosystems, but there have been wonderful episodes such as "Diamonds" that examine other aspects of the natural world.
    I do not watch "Nature" as much anymore simply because I am a lot busier, but every now and then when I have free time I catch a new episode. It was a joy then, and it is still very much a joy now. I recommend everyone to check out the season guide at the official website and tune in to an episode that looks interesting.
PBS