NCIS: Los Angeles

Callen, G

Aired Monday 10:00 PM May 25, 2010 on CBS

7.1
  • Enjoyable, except for one annoying hole.

A fast paced enjoyable episode. A fitting end to the season, containing enough of a teaser to keep me interested in coming back to the show, without using the seemingly mandatory cliff-hanger many other shows use. (At least here you feel that one story has been wrapped up, and not left hanging –eminently more satisfying for the viewer.)

I agree with other reviewers that the characters need more fleshing out to make them as distinctive as their original NCIS counter-parts. But adding more to Callen's background here is steps in the right direction. Some background has been shown for Hanna, in past episodes, but more work needs to be done on Kensi, Nate and Eric, to fill out their characters, and make them more 'real'.

As for Hedi, I don't think we'll ever get any more than vague references, and inklings of a secretive, eventful past. I guess the writers like to keep her mysterious, and us guessing at the "what ifs.." (Unfortunately, though, she actually does very little in the present; to some extent she is the equal 'rank' to Gibbs -direct reports to Vance- yet she is nowhere as involved in her team's actions as Gibbs is with his. She is no Special Agent Lara Macy, who now will never be back.)

Back to this episode, I found one aspect that didn't make too much sense. The team risked their lives to get whatever files they could from Eugene Keelson's lair, getting away with the "Tayor, A" book-type file and a few odds and ends. Now in their search for this elusive "Taylor, A" never once do they crack open this telephone-book-sized tome to read what it contained. Presumable, if Keelson was actually as good at gathering information as he seemed last episode, all the background information they found out about "Taylor, A" should have been contained in the file, thereby forgoing all the legwork they went through.

The giant "Taylor, A" file was only used to provide the name, yet the little note-book yielded untold information in comparison. Why was this file so big if it contained nothing else? Why didn't any of the team think to actually read it? It kind of cheapens/lessens the anguish of Callen in not being able to get the "Callen, G" file, as it too may have only provided simply a name.