NCIS: Los Angeles Forums

Monday 10:00 PM on CBSIn Season

Kill off Sam, Kensi, and Eric

  • Avatar of lynna12000

    lynna12000

    [25]Jan 6, 2011
    • member since: 01/19/08
    • level: 21
    • rank: Snagglepuss
    • posts: 2,437
    zurimov wrote:

    And it's also EXACTLY because it's TV show we can expect the survivors to recover no matter how screwed up their work are, damn it. In 7 seasons of line of duty, Jack Bauer gets his wife shot, his daughter kidnapped, his girlfriend mentally retarded, and his bestfriend disavowing him. Why in Day 8 he still returns to CTU? Why won't he say 'F this crap! I'm leavin!'? Because he's Jack Bauer! Because he's badass! Because it's a TV Show! People can recover from sadness and grieving all the time.



    Sam, G, Kensi, Deeks, Eric, etc, are not Jack Bauer. They are not supposed to be him. 24 was interesting the first few seasons, but after that, it started getting VERY depressing; BECAUSE Jack kept losing people around him. Sam, Kensi, and Eric are interesting, because we DON'T know everything about them. The writers are gradually showing us more about the characters. The team is a good one. Their different character traits complement each other very well. Killing off 50% of the team wouldn't just cause extreme stress to G, Hetty, and Nell. It would depress the audience to the point that the show would be cancelled. This is not 'Day of the Condor', or 'The Manchurian Candidate'. This show is intended to be a more lighthearted escapist espionage fare.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of vballgeekette

    vballgeekette

    [26]Jan 8, 2011
    • member since: 02/20/06
    • level: 5
    • rank: Caveman Lawyer
    • posts: 145

    Ok, I am going to do a short character analysis on these three.


    Sam:


    This character was a former Navy SEAL andis partners with the character of G. Callen. He balances out Callen's character really well.Also, through Sam's character has helped to develope Callen's character. An example isthe first episode of the second season. Callen has been crashing at Sam's place, which was affecting their relationship as partners. At Nate's reccommendation, Hetty got Callen a house, which was thefoster house he spent the most time in as a kid. As a former Navy SEAL, Sam is able to act instinctively, with little thought needed. His SEAL training also has given him the ability to speak Arabic, which is helpful in dealing with terrorists. Being African-American working in LA, he is able to perform undercover ops that the other characters are unable to do to the enviroment and trust issues associateswith certain areas of LA. Sam's size in general is intimidating. He puts off the attitude of "Don't mess with me or my team because it may be the last thing you do." Viewers are slowly getting a glimps into this character's life, as with the mention of his daughter that no one on the teamknew about.


    Kensi:


    This character is the onlyfemale agenton this team. It has been reaveled that she can lip read, which has come in handy for the team on multiple occasions. Being a girl, she can obviously perform undercover ops that the guys cannot. Kensi also has a vulnerable side that she tries to hide that shows every so often, aswhen her dad is mentioned orin the PTSD case. Kensi helps to balance all of the testosterone on the team. Some viewers have stated that Kensi is nothing like the character Ziva on the original NCIS, who is a fomer Mussad agent and the daughter of the director of Mussad.Due to the fact that this NCIS team in LA specializes in undercover operations, it is better that Kensi appears to be the average American. It has already been shown on the original NCIS that Ziva has been recognized while undercover, blowing the entire operation. It would most likely arouse suspision if Kensi was nore like Ziva due to the LA office's work. Again, just as with Sam, viewers are getting more of a glimps into Kensi's life, as to the fact of her engagement to her ex with PTSD.


    Eric:


    This charachter is the tech opererator for the team. This role is a nessecity for the type of work done by the team. Eric monitors all of the security cameras, does all of the hacking, sets upa lotof the survaillence from the office so the team can go into the field, acts as the central contact while in the field (as he moitors everything), and so much more. His being there allows rest of the team to focus on the field work.Eric has a laid-back, surfer type of personality. He alsohas a dry sense of humor, and triesto make jokes to lightenthata lot of times fail. This is done, not to make the viewers laugh, but make them smile or at least roll their eyes. Ericmakes the team's job easier.Viewers don't know much about Eric at all. This will hopefully change as the series advances.


    This ends my analyses. Remember, this series is just starting out. Tony andAbby on the original series were both introduced on JAG, andwe are just now geting his back story this season. We don't really know anything about Abby, except that her father died when she was young. Be patient.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of tiva_mcabby5

    tiva_mcabby5

    [27]Jan 8, 2011
    • member since: 07/30/09
    • level: 9
    • rank: Door Number 2
    • posts: 242
    IanHaze wrote:

    tiva_mcabby5 wrote:


    i'm not trying to get involved in this, but if you don't like the show or its characters, don't watch it.



    If you don't like our posts, don't read em.



    I never said I don't like your posts. I'm not going to take sides because I agree with both. I think that all of the characters need more depth, but you also have to look into the fact that this show has only been on for a season and a half. Also, I agree that this show's quality is nowhere near NCIS's. But, I also don't think that killing off the characters is the right thing to do.

    As for the "don't read em" comment, I am free to read and comment on whatever forum I want to. I respect your opinion, and all I am asking for is that you respect mine as well.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of blue_fish24

    blue_fish24

    [28]Jan 9, 2011
    • member since: 03/07/08
    • level: 18
    • rank: Land Shark
    • posts: 1,149
    I would agree that some of the characters have been shown as one-dimensional, but I think in the recent episodes we've seen more development for Kensi and Sam. Personally I think we don't know much about Eric because most of his work goes on behind the scenes-helping the team, gathering information, and setting up ops. I think Nell may allow us to see more of Eric, and at least let him have some interaction with other humans. I am definitely in favor of continuing the character development of the entire cast, but I don't think killing them off would solve any problems. TPTB would likely replace them with 3 new cast members who we know even less about.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of zurimov

    zurimov

    [29]Jan 9, 2011
    • member since: 06/13/08
    • level: 9
    • rank: Door Number 2
    • posts: 34

    Meh, I never said all three of Sam Eric and Kensi have to be killed at ONCE. Like in one episode and boom they die. No, I never said that. That's perhaps the main confusion of this discussion.


    But indeed at least one of them needs to be killed off. And in classy way. Remember Dom? He's nothing except a tag-along guy who's the butt end of his seniors' jokes. So the writers killed him to make two episode arc: Missing and Found, that's actually related also with another recurring character, Moe. The end of Found is one of precious few powerful moments in NCIS: LA, but unfortunately his death is marred by an awkward gunfighting, ridiculous sacrifice, and, worst, revealing trailer ("tonight one of the heroes won't make it alive").


    Again, the main point is: it's better to have, BUILD, and FOCUS on one well-rounded, multidimensional, and not cliche character than to have three fillers. Either the writers transform the fillers, or just kill them and concentrate on those with real potential. Besides, let's be honest. Which scene you want to appear more often: G sprints through the street of LA chasing his birth document, or Eric crack (fail) jokes? Which one that can be a good character development? Which one is not?

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of lynna12000

    lynna12000

    [30]Jan 10, 2011
    • member since: 01/19/08
    • level: 21
    • rank: Snagglepuss
    • posts: 2,437
    zurimov wrote:

    Meh, I never said all three of Sam Eric and Kensi have to be killed at ONCE. Like in one episode and boom they die. No, I never said that. That's perhaps the main confusion of this discussion.


    But indeed at least one of them needs to be killed off. And in classy way. Remember Dom? He's nothing except a tag-along guy who's the butt end of his seniors' jokes. So the writers killed him to make two episode arc: Missing and Found, that's actually related also with another recurring character, Moe. The end of Found is one of precious few powerful moments in NCIS: LA, but unfortunately his death is marred by an awkward gunfighting, ridiculous sacrifice, and, worst, revealing trailer ("tonight one of the heroes won't make it alive").


    Again, the main point is: it's better to have, BUILD, and FOCUS on one well-rounded, multidimensional, and not cliche character than to have three fillers. Either the writers transform the fillers, or just kill them and concentrate on those with real potential. Besides, let's be honest. Which scene you want to appear more often: G sprints through the street of LA chasing his birth document, or Eric crack (fail) jokes? Which one that can be a good character development? Which one is not?



    NCIS:LA isn't about a person. It's about a team. Killing off 3 characters; when there has already been 1 death (Dom), 1 M.I.A. (Renko? He was interesting), and a team shrink who decided he wanted to contribute...to another team (Nate), is too much. Doesn't matter if they are not killed all at once. It would still be too much.

    The team has shown impressive team work recently. I was quite impressed with the way that they dealt with Matthais. G, Sam, Kensi, and Deeks, are good. But they couldn't have gotten the information without Eric. (Nell doesn't have enough invested in the team to protect Hetty. At least not yet).

    And like blue fish24 said, even if they got rid of them, TPTB would just replace them with 3 new characters. Why waste time on new characters, when you already have 3 perfectly good characters to develop?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of amazing_race

    amazing_race

    [31]Jan 12, 2011
    • member since: 04/01/07
    • level: 55
    • rank: Bounty Dog
    • posts: 6,244

    Well Kensi is my favorite character on this show, and I would be extremely disappointed if her character was killed off. I also really like Sam, and the show is gradually building a great relationship between him and Callen. As for Eric, he is my least favorite character, but I still don't want to see him killed off. I just find the concept of two "tech" people a little funny.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of crimegirl12

    crimegirl12

    [34]Nov 28, 2012
    • member since: 09/12/12
    • level: 5
    • rank: Caveman Lawyer
    • posts: 24

    Okay zuminorv, if you kill 3 characters off, like 1 every ten episodes then you can bet that the writers will put three new ones in.


    For me I like Sam's character. We are learning about his character alot. He balances everyone out and he is a great actor.


    For Kensi, whoever said she is like Ziva then they are wrong. she is an american actor and she is actually a really good actress. She was in redtails and that movie she didn't speak english.


    As for eric, we need some comic relief because of all the seriousness that happens on the show. My favorite line he says is 'I broke the internet' I just about died laughing.


    so you can keep your own opinion to your self and not upset everybody that likes this show the way it is.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of crimegirl12

    crimegirl12

    [35]Nov 28, 2012
    • member since: 09/12/12
    • level: 5
    • rank: Caveman Lawyer
    • posts: 24

    zurimov wrote:


    Meh, I never said all three of Sam Eric and Kensi have to be killed at ONCE. Like in one episode and boom they die. No, I never said that. That's perhaps the main confusion of this discussion.


    But indeed at least one of them needs to be killed off. And in classy way. Remember Dom? He's nothing except a tag-along guy who's the butt end of his seniors' jokes. So the writers killed him to make two episode arc: Missing and Found, that's actually related also with another recurring character, Moe. The end of Found is one of precious few powerful moments in NCIS: LA, but unfortunately his death is marred by an awkward gunfighting, ridiculous sacrifice, and, worst, revealing trailer ("tonight one of the heroes won't make it alive").


    Again, the main point is: it's better to have, BUILD, and FOCUS on one well-rounded, multidimensional, and not cliche character than to have three fillers. Either the writers transform the fillers, or just kill them and concentrate on those with real potential. Besides, let's be honest. Which scene you want to appear more often: G sprints through the street of LA chasing his birth document, or Eric crack (fail) jokes? Which one that can be a good character development? Which one is not?



    for me to answer the question of which scene it would have to be both. Callen running through the street for his birth documents and Eric cracking jokes. I think that both would bring good character devolopments.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Addic7ed

    Addic7ed

    [38]Jan 15, 2013
    • member since: 04/24/11
    • level: 12
    • rank: Evil Bert
    • posts: 3

    I respect your thoughts but that doesn't mean I share them. You're mistaken about that episode you mentioned...I goes like this: K: I gotta pee. D: I think I just did. That's what Deekks says. It may not be classy but it's just a dialogue. Also, you shouldn't be comparing this show to the original as they're different; the one in Los Angeles is an undercover "office"; Special Projects I believe. Besides, every character is different. What's the point in "cloning" the original? Think about that.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of seugirdor

    seugirdor

    [39]Nov 14, 2013
    • member since: 01/04/06
    • level: 11
    • rank: Red Shirted Lt.
    • posts: 82

    Why did you even bother to compare both shows?


    Have you ever thought that if NCIS LA was a copy of the original NCIS it wouldn't even have got picked up by CBS?


    If you don't like it, don't watch it.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Colin_Rob_Rock

    Colin_Rob_Rock

    [40]Dec 22, 2013
    • member since: 01/27/13
    • level: 12
    • rank: Evil Bert
    • posts: 1,114

    I disagree with just about every statement made in the original post. I prefer Sam to DiNozzo because he actually seems like and Agent and isn't annoying. I prefer Kensi to Ziva because she can do everything Ziva can do with out being annoying. And I prefer Eric to Abby because he tells the information and lets the agents do their Job And he doesn't act like a child. these are the reasons Iquit watching NCIS and Still watch NCIS LA.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of djboy77

    djboy77

    [41]Oct 23, 2014
    • member since: 06/26/10
    • level: 7
    • rank: Talk Show Host
    • posts: 337

    There's a reason stock characters exist.


    And if you deliberately try to change them into not being stock characters, then you're committing a trope of its own. You kill them off and you're going to have to refill the cast.


    And if you try to fill them with highly unique characters, then you just have a cast of weirdos and no foundation. If everyone's unique, then nobody's unique, because it's a relative term.


    So, no. What you're saying doesn't make any sense.

    Edited on 10/23/2014 2:49am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.