NCIS: Los Angeles Forums

Monday 10:00 PM on CBSIn Season

Why are the ratings on here so low ??

pgsuperfan

[1]Oct 20, 2010
    • level: 25

Just wondering why this forum rates this show so low each week ??

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

ZekkJedi

[2]Oct 22, 2010
    • level: 8

Probably because, while its a decent show, it just isn't quite as good (consistently) as the other shows

blue_fish24

[3]Oct 25, 2010
    • level: 18
    The ratings don't necessarily accurately reflect the opinions of everyone who watches the show. Some people rate every single episode a 10, while others who dislike the show still watch it and rate every episode very low.

lynna12000

[4]Oct 26, 2010
    • level: 21
    The ratings somewhat reflect the above opinions. Personally, I think the low ratings are also affected by people who deliberately give the episodes a '1' without watching the show. Trolls need to get their fun somehow. I enjoy the show overall. It isn't the best, but it isn't the worst either. If nothing else, the cast is nice to look at.

CRaivios

[5]Oct 26, 2010
    From the very start, there were viewers who complained bitterly about this show, yet kept watching. For me, it is one or two episodes, then I am done with a show I don't like. With everything on TV and limited time most of us have, how anyone could spend so much time wasting it on what they deem as a bad show is beyond me.

pgsuperfan

[6]Oct 27, 2010

I watch every week but these days I have to use my DVR only because of a conlict with worka guy has to support his TV habit lol

IanHaze

[7]Nov 4, 2010
    • level: 6

pgsuperfan wrote:

It's the acting. While the show itself is steadily getting more interesting and developing somewhat of an own story, the acting is till horribly forced. As long as what the main characters do does not look authentic, nothing in the show will be taken seriously. Every time Kensi says something that's supposed to make her tough (yeah as if), it just looks like very bad comedy, like the character doesn't even believe it herself.

As soon as the last two remaining horrible actors (the ones playing Sam and Kensi) are either bugged off ior have gotten acting lessons, the show will probably start receiving way higher ratings.

Apart from that, the genre might just be too "used". The horribly repeative CSI and spinoffs, NCIS, and every other cop show focused on crime scene processing. The genre is done, something new needs to pop up.

lynna12000

[8]Nov 9, 2010
    IanHaze wrote:

pgsuperfan wrote:

It's the acting. While the show itself is steadily getting more interesting and developing somewhat of an own story, the acting is till horribly forced. As long as what the main characters do does not look authentic, nothing in the show will be taken seriously. Every time Kensi says something that's supposed to make her tough (yeah as if), it just looks like very bad comedy, like the character doesn't even believe it herself.

As soon as the last two remaining horrible actors (the ones playing Sam and Kensi) are either bugged off ior have gotten acting lessons, the show will probably start receiving way higher ratings.

Apart from that, the genre might just be too "used". The horribly repeative CSI and spinoffs, NCIS, and every other cop show focused on crime scene processing. The genre is done, something new needs to pop up.

Better an overdone cop genre than an overdone medical/legal/soap opera genre. At least with this genre something gets blown up regularly.

IanHaze

[9]Nov 9, 2010

lynna12000 wrote:
    IanHaze wrote:

pgsuperfan wrote:

Better an overdone cop genre than an overdone medical/legal/soap opera genre. At least with this genre something gets blown up regularly.

Overdone is always bad. Always. So lemme rephrase that for you: "Better an original genre than and overdone genre.".

lynna12000

[10]Nov 9, 2010

The trick is to FIND an original genre. Or at least an original genre that doesn't squick me out. The Walking Dead is superbly written and acted; and certainly an original twist on a genre. I just can't enjoy zombies.

I don't expect a lot of NCIS:LA. It is fluff; I acknowledge that. But it does just what I expect it to. It provides nice eye candy, amusing dialog, and it's not too mentally taxing. It's relaxing after working a LOOONNNNGGGG shift in a call center. Do I expect it to last as long as NCIS? No, I don't. It will probably go 4 seasons. But in the meantime, I can spend some time with G, Sam, Hetty, and Kensi. If I want drama that requires thinking, I'll watch Masterpiece Theatre.

You want OVER-overdone genre...watch CSI:Baywatch..oops, I mean Miami!

And if nothing else, it gives us something to pick apart.

Edited on 11/09/2010 5:16am
    Edited 2 total times.

pgsuperfan

[11]Nov 17, 2010

I noticed this week it was rated a 9 on here

IanHaze

[12]Dec 24, 2010

lynna12000 wrote:

So the excuse for being un-original is "CSI is doing it as well"? Most people grow over that phase before high school...

lynna12000

[13]Dec 24, 2010
    IanHaze wrote:

lynna12000 wrote:

So the excuse for being un-original is "CSI is doing it as well"? Most people grow over that phase before high school...

If you go back to the complete post, you'll see that was NOT at all what I was saying.

NCIS: LA was never supposed to be just like NCIS. Yes, it is an NCIS department, but it does NOT have the same kind of set up. That isn't a bad thing. It isn't about a senior agent training a group of less experienced agents. The team is on the same footing, working as equals. There are subtle differences, but it works.

There hasn't been a new television genre since it began. And even those were re-hashes of old radio shows.

The show provides entertainment. I look forward to spending time with the characters every week. The writers are steadily making them more interesting. That is the key to doing good genre work.

tvownsLEXIE

[14]Mar 2, 2011
    I think the ratings are just low because people who aren't fans like it ruin it for the rest of us. It's exactly the same way for one of my all-time favorite shows, Psych, where people just rate it down for no apparent reason. Even if they blame it on the acting/writing or whatever the issue, they don't just review the show with their rating, they unnecessarily rate down every episode, which throws off the statistics of which episodes are actually fan favorites/ "the best" versus which episodes were rated down less than others. In conclusion, people can be jerks :/

IanHaze

[15]Mar 10, 2011

I still can't believe you people think that there's people who take the effort to come here, make an account, log in and rate NCIS LA with 1, because they appearantly have got nothing better to do?

Even IF (and it's not so), then you'd need a lot of 1 votes to get the ratings low. Anyone who's ever had a single day of math class can tell you that ONE vote is not enough to influence an avarage.

Guess it's just impossible to believe the show is wank when you love it yourself. I've kept following it weekly, horrible as it was, and have seen every episode. While it has become better (primarily because bad characters where thrown out and good new ones in), it's still very sub par. It's entertaining, but that's about it. It doesn't deserve any rating above 6 out of 10, maybe 7 on a very good episode.

And Psych... Man you must be the only person on the planet who actually enjoys that. It deserves every vote close to 0 out of 10 it can get.

IanHaze

[16]Mar 10, 2011

Actually I've just been looking at the ratings, the only trolls around here are the ones that are persistently voting it almost a full score, like user "amazing race"!

I mean look at this:

"I didn't enjoy this much. I think it was missing that flair that the previuos episode, and several others, have had." - This episode she STILL gave a 9.5.

"Such a disappointment after the last two sensational episodes. This one is ridiculously overrated." - This one got a 9.

"Quite simply a terrible episode, when you compare it to the rest of the season. This one drove me halfway to sleep. " - an 8 for this one, and that's the same for all episodes.

The scores apparently aren't this low because of trolls, they're this HIGH because of trolls!

Edited on 03/10/2011 5:14am

lynna12000

[17]Mar 13, 2011
    IanHaze wrote:

I still can't believe you people think that there's people who take the effort to come here, make an account, log in and rate NCIS LA with 1, because they appearantly have got nothing better to do?

Even IF (and it's not so), then you'd need a lot of 1 votes to get the ratings low. Anyone who's ever had a single day of math class can tell you that ONE vote is not enough to influence an avarage.

Guess it's just impossible to believe the show is wank when you love it yourself. I've kept following it weekly, horrible as it was, and have seen every episode. While it has become better (primarily because bad characters where thrown out and good new ones in), it's still very sub par. It's entertaining, but that's about it. It doesn't deserve any rating above 6 out of 10, maybe 7 on a very good episode.

And Psych... Man you must be the only person on the planet who actually enjoys that. It deserves every vote close to 0 out of 10 it can get.

And yet, horrible as it is, you still watch it every week.

Given it's VERY good weekly ratinss, a large number of people, who don't come to this site, consistently give it a higher rating than a '6' or '7'. Entertainment is the name of the television game. NCIS:LA consistently delivers. A sub-par program wouldn't have gotten this far. Even if it is the spin-off of the networks' #1 show.

IanHaze

[18]Mar 14, 2011

lynna12000 wrote:
    IanHaze wrote:

And yet, horrible as it is, you still watch it every week. Given it's VERY good weekly ratinss, a large number of people, who don't come to this site, consistently give it a higher rating than a '6' or '7'. Entertainment is the name of the television game. NCIS:LA consistently delivers. A sub-par program wouldn't have gotten this far. Even if it is the spin-off of the networks' #1 show.

I never said it was horrible, I said it was sub par. It's the acting that's horrible.

Curious how you ignore the entire post about trolls voting this show consistently high... The troll argument is only valid when it serves you?

lynna12000

[19]Mar 14, 2011
    Sub-par equals horrible in my world view. A sub-par show may have me checking in once a month to see if it improved, but not every week.

I've already posted my views on trolls previously. Why repeat myself?

For some people, an 8.5 is a low rating. Having a rating system that skews to the higher numbers does not make you a troll. Pollyannish, maybe, but not a troll.

IanHaze

[20]Mar 15, 2011

lynna12000 wrote:
    Sub-par equals horrible in my world view. A sub-par show may have me checking in once a month to see if it improved, but not every week. I've already posted my views on trolls previously. Why repeat myself? For some people, an 8.5 is a low rating. Having a rating system that skews to the higher numbers does not make you a troll. Pollyannish, maybe, but not a troll.

Even IF 8.5 would be a low rating, that's the least of the scores you got there. Eps which where "grossly overrated" got a 9.5. That's not "pollyannish", that's just making sure the show gets a high mark.

So here we are. The trolls you where talking about do not exist (I ploughed through most of the show's scores for this), and all the low scores it got have been substantiated with reason. There are however people who're doing just the opposite.

The trolls argument is not valid, and is even the other way around.

So no, the ratings aren't low because of "trolls who come here just to give the show a low score". The show is sub par, and people rate it that way. THAT'S the reason, no matter what excuse yer trying to find.