NCIS: Los Angeles

Search and Destroy

Aired Monday 10:00 PM Oct 13, 2009 on CBS

6.9
  • 104.

After three good episodes, the show hit its first bump in the road, with an average, filler episode tonight. Outside of LL Cool J threatening to smack somebody in the head with a sandal, there was no noteworthy dialogue or scenes in tonight's installment. They hyped on the commercial a good, action-packed sequence with the battering ram, but a woman simply tapped the car and that was it. Hardly the kind of intensity you would see on a show like 24 or The Unit.

NCIS: Los Angeles is still one of the best new shows to be launched this year, but this was a pretty dull episode.
  • The series seems to be floundering.

4.5
    I really really want to enjoy this show, as I've admired NCIS from its inception, but frustration with this series is starting to take hold.

The 2 part Legends story-line was so promising, but now that the series has been given its own legs to run with, it just seems to stumble and not really get off the ground.

Firstly, bring back Special Agent Lara Macy. She seemed to head the team extremely well, controlling the reins of a group so diverse and so different to one another that only a tough leader, one ready to make hard decisions and even break the rules when necessary, could steer in a positive direction.

Without a leader like this, the team seems rather aimless.

Then there's Operational Psychologist Nate Getz. In the Legend episodes, he came across as the type of team member Gibbs was missing in his own group, ever since Kate was dispensed with, someone who can read people, someone astute, confident and able to provide insight on people, behaviours and personalities, and then able to deduce somewhat accurately how they would behave in a given situation. I saw him as a cross between Lightman from Lie to Me and Jane from The Mentalist. Since Legends, he has been nothing but wrong, and almost a comic-relief.

It's almost as if he isn't allowed to shine, as he may take the glow away from the two main leads.

Instead they have hard-exterior, but soft-hearted Hetty Lange, who as ... what exactly is her role? Once she seems to be a bean-counter, then she takes care of the wardrobe, then she gives orders, calling the team to meetings. All the while she sprouts platitudes that thinly veil other meanings for the damaged characters to help sooth their troubled souls -doing Getz's job.

Back to the two leads, Callen and Hanna. Where to start? They really don't seem to have any chemistry between then, no real spark when we see them together. Moreover individually they seem to compete on who is the coolest rather than doing their jobs. There are two other field agents in the team, the rookie Vail and Blye. Let's have some mix and match as happens in the original series. At least then these two will get something to do.

By the way why don't Callen and Hanna actually introduce themselves as NCIS agents, flashing their badges, instead of coming up with cutsie other agencies?

This series has a long way to go before it becomes as loved as the original NCIS
  • I think Kensi is hilarious!

Another very interesting episode of a show that in my opinion, is on the rise, and doing quite well. I found the storyline to be extremely enjoyable and the case was very interesting.

I also thought that Callen undercover was a nice addition to this episode, and that is another addition to the amazingness of this episode.

Without a doubt, I loved the part Kensi played in this episode, and she has been one of the most sensational characters in this show. She was hilarious when she detonated those airbags. Great job by her and the writers!

I would highly recommend this episode, and I think this show is on the rise. In my opinion, it is heavily underrated, and is extremely worthwhile.
  • My Favourite Episode yet...

I really enjoyed this episode as it revealed a lot about the characters. Although mainly focusing on G's past troubles; the show also open up aspects of Hana's personality. The sucessful show NCIS may have actually been topped by it's spin-off in this episode. It really drew me in and i will be looking forwards to watching the upcoming episodes. This episode really showed NCIS fans what this show can do. For me this was the best episode yet but i wonder if the show will disapoint after raising the bar so high after this episode.
    I hope that the show can produce more episodes like this one as it really impressed me and i will continue to watch this show.
  • An independent security company has a man go rogue from Iraq. He heads to LA for some reason and kills another of the security companies agents coming into town. NCIS is tasked with bringing in the agent as he is a former Marine and in country now.

The basis of this episode is the fact that these independent security companies run around like they are immune to the rules and laws of the country they work in whether that is the US or a foreign nation. In many cases they are actually paid by the US to do security.

So the major twist in all of this is that NCIS is called in as this man is a former Marine who is now on US soil and the security company has no jurisdiction actually anywhere. They are like a group of cowboys with guns shooting them off as they ride into town.

The bit with Special Agent Blye and the battering ram on the Cadillac was great. One of the funnier bits we've seen on this show. Not a whole lot to say otherwise about the program. I think the starring cast is pretty good and they are starting to really put their chemistry together. We are better able to understand the roles and disseminate who really does what and what peoples strengths are. I still think G is the real wild card in this. We have not really been told that much about him. Another above average storyline, with good production values, and the acting outside the stars is decent. I think that is one area they could improve on. Overall a pretty entertaining show. Thanks for reading...
CBS