NCIS

A Man Walks Into a Bar...

Aired Tuesday 8:00 PM Feb 08, 2011 on CBS

• I thought this episode was absolutely perfect for several reasons.

1. NCIS is setting personal records in rating recently, and the flashbacks in this episode gave insight into each character (with the exception of Palmer, who I did wish had been there) so that the new viewers can have some background about the characters. But the important thing is, NCIS did not make the mistake of using flashbacks to take over the episode, making it a waste for viewers who are already familiar with the flashback scenes. Instead, they used a few short yet important scenes intermixed with the new storylines for a perfect balance.
    2. As a hardcore McAbby fan, I was glad to see their relationship acknowledged, even if nothing happened to progress its status.
    3. I liked the murder/suicide case in general. While it wasn't the most interesting case they've ever done, it fell in line with the seasons 1 and 2 theme that the Kate flashbacks brought in that it wasn't trying to provide a political message or dig deeply into any of the main characters' lives. Plus the suicide angle was surprising, at least to me, which is a nice break from the obviously guilty suspects on some shows.
    4. I liked Kate's sister, who really did look like Sasha. Plus even though Sasha had decided to leave, I feel like an episode like this is good PR to show (or at least make it seem) that no party is bitter about the split. Kate was an interesting character, so it was nice to bring her back in a creative yet realistic way, especially since she was a major part of the pilot and first two seasons that got the ball rolling. Cudos, NCIS. This has been my favorite episode of the season so far.