NCIS

A Weak Link

Aired Tuesday 8:00 PM May 18, 2004 on CBS

• Don't Ask, Don't Tell

This is -- overall - a great first season episode. Certainly recommended and worth watching. My own real gripe with this particular episode is that it never really asserts if the "weak link" argument is valid or not. The dead man was unable to reconcile his sexual identity with his faith or his military service.

Was the episode trying to argue that dead man's homosexuality was the "weakness" or was it his inability to reconcile being gay and in a relationship with being Christian and in the military?

I would hope that the writers were not trying to reinforce anti-gay stereotypes and prejudices, but I can also appreciate the complications involved; i.e. the deceased man was married (so he was committed adultery) and, at the time, their was a ban on gay and bisexuals serving "openly" in the armed forces (so he could be kicked out of the military and even got in prison).

The dead man's boyfriend (who has to remain in the closet) is depicted in an fairly accurate way and does not seem as troubled at reconciling his sexual identity with his faith or his military service.