NCIS

Detour

Aired Tuesday 8:00 PM Feb 26, 2013 on CBS

• Man, I need a drink! Gimme that drain cleaner!

After the lacklustre last couple of episodes (let's face it, the writers were on a hiding after Shabat Shalom & Shiva), this was a much needed step up.

Also, giving the episode over to Ducky and Jimmy was inspired, showing the better than might be expected relationship between the two.

There was much easy interpersonal banter between the two in the van, showing respect for the senior man from Jimmy and acceptance of the younger man's abitities from the Duckster.

Given that we always tend to expect our "Heroes" to be just that, when Jimmy stepped up to blow the bad guy away, terrified or not and save Ducky, I almost cheered out loud.

It was a great moment, expertly portrayed, showing fear and resolution at the same time. Basically just an ordinary "Joe" doing what was needed, when it was needed.

I also thought it was pretty funny when the bad guy got up after Jimmy emptied an entire clip at him (shades of Arnie in the Terminator) and the look of terror on Jimmy's face.

If I have one VERY minor gripe about the relationship between Ducky & Jimmy, it's that I wish Ducky had asked Jimmy to use his nickname after the event, even if only in private. Let's face it, he earned it with his steadfast support of the older man.

Writers, that's more like it. More of the same, please!

The rest of the team played out their roles as solidly as ever and all in all, this was a very satisfying episode.