NCIS

Enemy on the Hill

Aired Tuesday 8:00 PM Oct 11, 2011 on CBS

7.9
  • A good solid episode showcasing one of its best features, the relationship between Gibbs and Abby

I watch a lot of the older episodes on USA and I've often tried to follow the development of the relationship between the gruff, no-nonsense Gibb who hides himself, and the sweet puddle of adorability that is Abby. I think it is foundational to the series itself and was well established before the pilot. Still, one of m favorite things is to watch the interplay between the two. There was a lot of that on display throughout the episode last night. I must confess I didn't pay much attention to the story because I'm always so much more interested in the cast, so I was more focused on the story of Abby's new brother than the actual plot.

I found it so sweet when Gibbs offered to go with her to meet her brother. I also loved the end when she showed up to tell him what she had discovered. He didn't try to take the pain out of her experience, but explained to her what a family really is, and reminded her that her family is the team, and that as long as he is there she will never be alone. I, like to thing that is a lesson he has learned through the years, having lost his wife and child. They can never be replaced, but he does have a family, and Abby is his cherished little girl.

Scenes like that done well take years to establish as the audience watches and grows with the characters. Last night's ending scene was absolutely perfect.