NCIS

Extreme Prejudice

Aired Tuesday 8:00 PM Sep 25, 2012 on CBS

• Quite the weak opening

wherein we learn that everyone is basically okay, and the show will continue for another season. Season 7's opener did an excellent job of reminding us why we love the team; this episode comes across as much whining despite all the trauma.

Characters more interesting than Harper Dearing have been put on a bus (Samantha Ryan) or killed within minutes of arrival (FBI agent "Lorraine"). There is still little explanation why Dearing knows as much about the team (especially Gibbs' assassination) as he does, why he is griefing NCIS over his son's accidental death, or why he only stuck around long enough for a cliffhanger. A better-written Dearing could have proven to be a formidable and more persistent villain.

"Power Down" showed us how the team dealt with constraints; by the time "Extreme Prejudice" is over, NCIS HQ is practically rebuilt, taking away another opportunity to show off the team's resourcefulness, and leaving only a possible set remodeling as the summary outcome. Fortunately, the whole team seems ready to tackle season 10.