NCIS

Extreme Prejudice

Aired Tuesday 8:00 PM Sep 25, 2012 on CBS

• Dissappointed-- OK, but some problems

I'm disappointed with the episode, as I usually am with the recent multi-episode "arcs," two recent ones coping out with suicide-by-cop. This one ended, typically, abruptly, which is just as well. Practically the only thing I liked was Gibbs, alone, doubting that Dearing was dead, having Ducky make a "guest" examination, and then Gibbs stunning Fornell and the team with the announcement that Dearing is alive after all. (Of course, all of us in TV-land knew he was alive, what with the car exploding half-way through the episode.) I won't bother to comment on all the new loney personal problems of most of the team. The following criticisms are in chronological (not importance) order:

Jonathan Cole. -- No mention at all of Jonathan ("for the fun of it") Cole (Scott Wolf), my favorite character from the finale, who heroically died trying to defuse Dearing's bomb. And didn't Cole save Gibbs' life by telling him to leave Cole alone with the bomb?

Palmer and Ducky. -- When heart attack-patient Ducky comes to in the hospital, his first question to Palmer is concern about the casualties at the bombing. Wrong of Palmer to respond at first with something like "the focus in on you; we can talk later." Remarks like that should really traumatize Ducky. Only next did it come out that Palmer didn't know (as though Ducky would believe that coming after the earlier remarks). It reminds me of the way Tony (I think) was so slow in giving the worried father the good news that his daughter was OK, in the "Engaged" episode.

Elevator. -- It didn't bother me that Ziva and Tony broke protocol and took the elevator in the emergency. Bad that Eli could call Ziva from Israel, but Ziva and Tony couldn't call out to ask about their rescue. And since the two of them are the most important members of Gibbs' team, you'd think that he would cell phone them to see how they were; instead he asks McGee where they are. To me the "Thighmaster" and other comments were tacky.

Politics. -- Producer and writer Gary Glasberg sunk to a new low (if possible) with the strident pro-Democrat Party politicization of the episode. I can see the dunce bragging to anyone in Hollywood who would listen about how he helped sway the election. REPEATEDLY there were references to the "President's" great leadership, concern, direction and visitation of NCIS during the episode. Even the title Extreme Prejudice was there to juice up Obama's toughness. There has been a lot of criticism of Abby's childishness lately; I was really disgusted when she spoke longingly about being stuck in a elevator with "Amelia Earhart, Michelle Obama (who was never proud on the USA till her husband won a primary a few years ago) and Joan of Arc," all equals!

Vance. -- Vance seriously blaming himself (re: car) repeatedly for the bombing was over the top. I could see one pro forma comment, but it went on for too long. And he was not at fault.

Formal Titles. -- I might be off here, but it seemed to me unnatural for the Navy Secretary to formally refer to "Director Vance" and "Agent Gibbs" on his first meeting with them at the bomb site when the dust hardly had time to settle -- in the excitement of the moment.

Cliches. -- A lot of bland sugary cliche-superlatives were thrown about. Referring to Ducky's condition, Vance said 'the old man is stronger than all of us combined." When Fornell asked, "What makes you think we can get him now" (after months of trying to catch up to him), Jarvis replied, "Because the order comes from the President." Fornell referred to the dead FBI agent who posed as a hooker, "one of the best we had." Dearing's sister-in-law referred to the dead brother as a "terrific doctor." Great writing Glasberg.

Villain. -- Acting-wise I don't think Dearing was particularly menacing, interesting, scary, dynamic, etc. Though he was running rings around everyone, he looked just sad most of the time.

Hooker ploy. -- No need to criticize the FBI-Hooker-Hotel ploy here; it's one thing (maybe the only thing) everyone agrees on. One comment I'd like to make is that Dearing must have been surprised when the FBI-hooker approached him. They went directly to the hotel. So, did Dearing always carries a time bomb with him? Another comment: supposing the guy just looked like Dearing. Pretty embarrassing for the FBI if they shot up an innocent man in his bathroom, along with some neighbors on the other side of the wall!

Invading a house. -- One thing I noticed (and the same thing in many other NCIS episodes) is that when about a dozen FBI and NCIS agents (including Gibbs' crew) entered the building where Dearing's sister-in-law saw him last, they went in as a group -- SWAT-like, all at once, one after the other. I think it would have been smarter to have surrounded the place and have one or two agents enter to clear the place so that if there was a bomb or shooter there, all the agents wouldn't be downed together. And, remember, earlier Dearing set off two other explosions in the episode (hotel with FBI-girl; and auto with brother's body inside).

Music. -- I get a headache from the constant loud, sonorous, self-congratulatory music made throughout the episode every time someone makes a word of wisdom or a development occurs. Typical of most NCIS episodes.

Assumptions and killing Dearing. -- Too many times the story is advanced by Gibbs making unsubstantiated assumptions. There is no great reason to believe Dearing would be in his kid's first home, though the case was so important I suppose they could expend resources checking it out. And Gibbs had no good reason to think Dearing wanted to die (he faked his death after all) and that he had finished his killing crusade. ... ... Anyway, I could see Gibbs wanting to be alone to kill Dearing, but Gibbs should have gone to the childhood home with other agents surrounding the place. Being alone with Dearing, Gibbs could frame the murder as self-defense. ..,......As some other poster somewhere pointed out, it was convenient for everyone that Evan's old first home was unoccupied and available for Dearing! And it was nice of Dearing not to shoot Gibbs as he casually walked in (and dumb/lucky of Gibbs).