NCIS Forums

Tuesday 8:00 PM on CBSIn Season

Fanfic Links

dmarex

[1]Jun 2, 2007
    • level: 103
    Last few months this forum has been overcrowded by fanfic stories. We all appreciate your hard work, but some users have started complaining about the fanfic taking over the entire forum, and after talking to a few valuable members of the forum, we've come to an agreement to lock all the fanfic threads. Each fanfic writer should now post their fanfic stories in their personal blog (or just move their already-created fanfic to their blog). This will help to bring the forum back to normal state. This topic will be pinned at the top of the forum, and every fanfic writer can use it to post a link to their blog, so the forum members could be aware of a new fanfic posted. Also, please do not discuss fanfic in this topic, but use it only to post the link of your new fanfic (don't post the story here). Thanks, and I hope everybody understands why we had to do this.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

keturah1013

[2]Jun 2, 2007
    • level: 13

Consider putting your fanfiction on this site: http://ncis.fictionresource.com/ That way you'll reach a much wider audience and fans of your work will always know where to find it! 

dadgarose

[3]Jun 2, 2007
    • level: 10
    keturah1013 wrote:

Consider putting your fanfiction on this site: http://ncis.fictionresource.com/ That way you'll reach a much wider audience and fans of your work will always know where to find it! 

No offence to any one, and I know I'm still kind of a newbie, but ncis fanfiction archive can go down for several days at a time and is quite confusing to use if it's your first time (i.e i'm totally lost, and have no idea how to put my fanfic on there). If you are going to recommend people to use it, then maybe you should post a tutorial for newbies (or for anyone that might need it). You don't have to agree with me, it's just my opinion

keturah1013

[4]Jun 2, 2007
    I've never used it, just trying to help.

dalilone

[5]Jun 2, 2007
    • level: 29
    fanfiction resource & fanfiction.net are both excellent sources of NCIS fanfiction. of course, from time to time both sites go down for maintence, (though i have noticed fiction resource goes down a lot more often) but i haven't had any real problems with either.

sarahhlen87

[6]Jun 2, 2007
    • level: 5

hi all fans of fanfic i hav mine posted on fanfiction.net i found it easy to use if any one gets stuck just ask ans i will help

here is the link to my profile where you can find my fanfics http://www.fanfiction.net/~sarahhelen87

All4Gabby

[7]Jun 2, 2007
    • level: 9

I think that a tutorial is definately a good idea.....

Edited on 06/02/2007 7:59am
    Edited 2 total times.

Mrs_McGee

[8]Jun 2, 2007
    All4Gabby wrote:

I think that a tutorial is definately a good idea.....

yep i agree too

cinematus

[9]Jun 2, 2007
    • level: 14
    I totally disagree with that idea.

The new threads always gave us the oportunity to discuss the fanfic in detail and talk with other people about it. If we want to do it now we have to leave a comment at the authour's personal page and can't really talk to each other.

Bye the way, I created such a thread already and only a few people posted their links and most the people were ignoring it.
    Edited on 06/02/2007 8:31am

staindredglass

[10]Jun 2, 2007
    • level: 11
    my fanfic link for "The Jamie Series" is: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/1133607/
    Edited on 06/02/2007 8:29am
    Edited 2 total times.

Mrs_McGee

[11]Jun 2, 2007
    i must admit seeing the feeback that other people had written is great and i will miss that. its just a shame that that part had to go.

dmarex

[12]Jun 2, 2007
    • level: 103
    Mrs_McGee wrote:
    i must admit seeing the feeback that other people had written is great and i will miss that. its just a shame that that part had to go.

It doesn't have to go. Just come up with a better solution and it can all work out.

hewey89

[13]Jun 2, 2007
    • level: 6
    Tutorial for NCIS FictionResource. Pretty basic, but it'll get new users started.

TUTORIAL
    NCIS FictionResource

Maintenance, "Down Time" and Overloads

• NCIS FictionResource is a very popular site. It has a limit to the number of users that may be online at any one time, so frequently users may not be able to gain access. If you are not able to access the site, you may receive a message saying "Max User Limit Reached". If you do, you may have to wait up to a few hours to log on.
    • The site also sometimes goes down for maintenance. Be patient and wait and the web programmers will usually have the site back up within a few hours.

Posting Stories to NCIS FictionResource (http://ncis.fictionresource.com/index.php)

I. Registration.

1. Visit the website linked above.
    2. On the right hand side of the webpage, in the box titled "User Account", click Register.
    3. Complete the process to set up your own account.
    4. Once your account is set up, log in and the "User Account" box will display links to your account, your stories and your profile.

II. Your Account and Profile.

1. Visit your account page to upload, delete or edit new stories, new chapters or new series, edit your profile or manage your favourites.
    2. Your profile is what other users will see at the top of your user page (where all your stories are displayed).

III.Submitting a New Story.

1. Go to your account.
    2. Click Submit a Story.
    3. Under the first heading, "Add a New Story", select which category your story fits into. Ctrl-click to add more than one. Then click Submit.
    4. Enter the required and relevant information about your story into the separate boxes. You can name your individual chapters.
    5. In the field where it asks you to enter the text for your story, enter the text for your first chapter.
    6. It is a good idea to type out your chapter / story in a word processor and copy and paste.
    7. Keep in mind that any formatting is removed when you enter it into the box. To add italics or bolding etc. use the HTML tags located above the box. Enter before and after the word(s) you want in italics, for example. Enter before and after to bold the word(s).
    8. Once you have finished, click Preview to see how your chapter will appear when other users read it.
    9. If you are happy, click Submit to submit your chapter. Your new chapter has now been added as part of a new story. A new series will also have been created under the same name, though will only contain that single story.

IV. Submitting a New Chapter to an Existing Story.

1. Go to your account.
    2. Click Submit a Story.
    3. Under the last (third) heading, "Add a New Chapter to a Story", select the story to which you would like to add a chapter from the drop down menu.
    4. Enter the required and relevant information about your chapter into the separate boxes. You can name your individual chapters.
    5. In the field where it asks you to enter the text for your story, enter the text for your new chapter.
    6. It is a good idea to type out your chapter in a word processor and copy and paste.
    7. Keep in mind that any formatting is removed when you enter it into the box. To add italics or bolding etc. use the HTML tags located above the box. Enter before and after the word(s) you want in italics, for example. Enter before and after to bold the word(s).
    8. Once you have finished, click Preview to see how your chapter will appear when other users read it.
    9. If you are happy, click Submit to submit your chapter. Your new chapter has now been added as part of that story.

V. Creating a Series.

YOU MUST have already submitted one chapter of one story to create a series.

1. Go to your account.
    2. Click Edit a Story.
    3. Find the story you would like to submit to a series.
    4. There will be two identical headings for that story atop one another. Click the first (top) one.
    5. Select which categories your series will fit into. Ctrl-click to add more than one.
    6. Enter the required and relevant information about your series into the separate boxes. Where it asks you for a title, add the title of your series, not your story.
    7. Click Submit.
    8. Your new series will now have been created.

VI. Adding Another Story to a Series.

1. If submitting a new story to a series, go to your account and click Submit a New Story.
    2. Under the second heading, "Add a New Story to a Series", select the series you would like to add the story to. Click Submit.
    3. Follow the instructions above for adding the new story.
    4. If submitting an existing story to a series, go to your user account and click Edit a Story.
    5. There will be two identical headings for each story atop one another. Click the second one.
    6. In the first drop down menu, select the series you would like to add the story to. Click Submit. That story will now have been added to that series.

VII. Editing a Story's Information.

1. Go to your account.
    2. Click Edit a Story.
    3. There will be two identical headings for that story atop one another. Click the second one.
    4. Edit the relevant information and click Submit.

VIII. Editing a Chapter.

1. Go to your account.
    2. Click Edit a Story.
    3. Under the story's heading, click on the chapter you would like to edit.
    4. Edit the relevant information and/or chapter text and click Submit.

IX. Changing Completion Status.

1. Go to your account.
    2. Click Edit a Story.
    3. There will be two identical headings for each story atop one another, each with a Complete: No beside them.
    4. To show that a series is complete, click the first (top) 'No'.
    5. To show that a story is complete, click the second (bottom) 'No'.

X. Your Profile.

1. To view what other users see on your page, click View Your Stories in the user box on the right hand side of the page.

X. Favouriting, Contact and Commenting.

1. Visit the page of the story you would like comment on or contact the author of.
    2. Above the text, there are six little symbols.
    3. To favourite a story, click the small heart icon.
    4. To favourite an author, click the small head icon.
    5. To comment on a chapter, click the speech bubble icon with a cross inside it.
    6. To contact the author of the story via email (if allowable), click the envelope icon.
    7. To read comments on the chapter you are viewing, click the speech bubble icon with no cross inside it, or the number next to it. The number tells you how many comments that chapter has.
    8. To print a story, click the small printer icon.

Hope that helps everyone.

Edited on 06/02/2007 10:17am

14pat56

[14]Jun 2, 2007

http://ncis.fictionresource.com/story.php?stid=02906

just moving my story over to this , I'm pattywatty over there , but still british agent and gibbs

Ziva_David

[15]Jun 2, 2007
    • level: 4

http://ncis.fictionresource.com/chapters.php?stid=02901

I am Ziva David overthere, same as here. enjoy my fic... I posted all the chapter up to date.

Ziva David

Edited on 06/02/2007 11:44am

hewey89

[16]Jun 2, 2007
    New chapter up of my story just now, here: http://ncis.fictionresource.com/story.php?stid=02858&chapter=7

farmergeorge

[17]Jun 2, 2007
    • level: 41

[QUOTE="dmarex"] after talking to a few valuable members of the forum, QUOTE]

...now whats wrong with that sentence?

first...  no member should be valued mroe than another

and second most valued members write anyway

sorry, but this is just rubbish! so many of our members write fanfic, enjoy reading fanfic and alot of us actually enjoy reading it on the forum...

sarahhlen87

[18]Jun 2, 2007
    • level: 5
    [QUOTE="farmergeorge"]

dmarex wrote:
    after talking to a few valuable members of the forum, QUOTE]

first...  no member should be valued mroe than another

and second most valued members write anyway

sorry, but this is just rubbish! so many of our members write fanfic, enjoy reading fanfic and alot of us actually enjoy reading it on the forum...

i agree with you no one should be valued more than anyone else

MrAndree

[19]Jun 2, 2007
    • level: 19
    Yeah and now I want to know what should I do to become a "valuable member" of the forum?

hewey89

[20]Jun 2, 2007
    farmergeorge wrote:

dmarex wrote:
    after talking to a few valuable members of the forum

first... no member should be valued mroe than another

Okay, seriously, this has been said a few times now. dmarex didn't say "I spoke to THE valuable members on the forum", he just said "a few". Nowhere in that sentence did he imply that those members were in any way more valued than others.

And this thread is for posting links to fanfiction, not for discussion about the closures. Move that to the right thread.
    Edited on 06/02/2007 2:45pm