NCIS Forums

Tuesday 8:00 PM on CBSBetween Seasons

Official Discussion Thread - "Life Before His Eyes" (possible spoilers

MsBoonzie

[1]Feb 8, 2012
    • level: 10

What did you think about the episode? Discuss!

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Mitoch

[2]Feb 8, 2012
    • level: 11

It was interesting to see all the faces from his past in the diner (and the flashbacks / visions). My only nit would be the vision of McGee, Abby and Ducky after Gibbs asks what would have happened if he didn't pull the trigger on Shannon and Kelly's killer. The scene was supposed to show us that Gibbs would have sunk further into loneliness; pushing his friends away, losing himself in alcohol. But as Shannon said in the diner later, if he hadn't done what he did, he never would have joined NIS, and thus never would have even met McGee, Abby, Ducky, Dinozzo, Ziva, Kate, etc. etc.

Likewise, in the visions if Kate hadn't been shot we see Tony interrogating Ziva; remembering him following her to the swimming pool. But if Kate hadn't been shot, that whole sequence of events would not have occurred.

Just a bit of incontinuity in an otherwise delightful episode. Although I had flashbacks of The West Wing when Mark Harmon's character (a secret service agent) was killed in a convenience store by a robber.

LovesZiva

[3]Feb 8, 2012
    • level: 5

Mitoch wrote:

Likewise, in the visions if Kate hadn't been shot we see Tony interrogating Ziva; remembering him following her to the swimming pool. But if Kate hadn't been shot, that whole sequence of events would not have occurred.

Not necessarily. Gibbs would have most likely suspected Ari would have been the sniper and Ziva was still his CO who would have come in to investigate( per Eli's order to kill Ari) the whole Ari being rogue, etc. So while Kate would have still lived, we would probably still have met Ziva, but she would not have become a liaison officer at NCIS.

Overall, I loved the episode. We finally got to meet Gibbs mother( I believe it was the first time). Glad to see Franks again. I wonder where they got the Kate scenes though. Sasha isn't credited in being part of the cast of this episode. Episodes I never saw? It was a shame Kate wasn't in the diner as well.

Edited on 02/08/2012 1:13pm
    Edited 2 total times.

dblackga

[4]Feb 8, 2012

Mitoch wrote:

It was interesting to see all the faces from his past in the diner (and the flashbacks / visions). My only nit would be the vision of McGee, Abby and Ducky after Gibbs asks what would have happened if he didn't pull the trigger on Shannon and Kelly's killer. The scene was supposed to show us that Gibbs would have sunk further into loneliness; pushing his friends away, losing himself in alcohol. But as Shannon said in the diner later, if he hadn't done what he did, he never would have joined NIS, and thus never would have even met McGee, Abby, Ducky, Dinozzo, Ziva, Kate, etc. etc.

Just a bit of incontinuity in an otherwise delightful episode. Although I had flashbacks of The West Wing when Mark Harmon's character (a secret service agent) was killed in a convenience store by a robber.

Gibbs asks what would have happened if he hadn't killed Pedro Hernandez, suggesting that killing him gave Gibbs closure, and not killing him would have opened him up to eternal regrets -- that he allowed Shannon and Kelly's killer to live because he lacked something, and that core of inaction and uncertainty is what would have eaten him up from the inside. I've always had a sense that he would have eventually ended up at NCIS anyway, whether or not he pulled the trigger. Shannon's death pulled the rug out from under his service in the Marines, and redirected his interests.

Shannon isn't saying that killing Pedro caused Gibbs to join NCIS. She is telling him that her death was the catalyst for for him joining NCIS - and that his dealth wasn't under his control. To a man who is accustomed to controlling his own life, this is a revelation. He tells her he wanted both -- NCIS and his family. That's when she tells him "that's not the way it works."

As far as Ziva fitting into the story -- remember that Ari was in the country as a double-agent. He could have lived many years after that,playing both sides of the terrorist fence. Even after missing Kate, NCIS would have still been on his trail, and Ziva would have still be sent to handle him, thus prompting the pool incident, because the FBI would have still been protecting him. But several years down the road, it's entirely possible that Ziva would have been inadvertently involved in yet another one of Ari's plots, and bumped into NCIS. (Personally, I LOVED that interview -- "Riva? Lisa? Tiva?" What a cute riff on the endless "Tiva" speculations!)

dblackga

[5]Feb 8, 2012

[QUOTE="LovesZiva"]

Mitoch wrote:

I wonder where they got the Kate scenes though. Sasha isn't credited in being part of the cast of this episode. Episodes I never saw? It was a shame Kate wasn't in the diner as well.

I thought the pajamas Kate was wearing in the hospital looked suspicously like the pajamas she wore when she and Tony were in quarantine in "SWAK", when Tony ended up with pneumonic plague. She only said one word in that sequence: "What?" and it really didn't fit smoothly. The rest of the time, she's just reacting. We never saw her WITH Tony, just clips of her in a bed, which could easily have been CGI'd from "SWAK" footage. (Should go back and see that one again and see how it matches up. :-)

LovesZiva

[6]Feb 8, 2012
    • level: 5

dblackga wrote:

I thought the pajamas Kate was wearing in the hospital looked suspicously like the pajamas she wore when she and Tony were in quarantine in "SWAK", when Tony ended up with pneumonic plague. She only said one word in that sequence: "What?" and it really didn't fit smoothly. The rest of the time, she's just reacting. We never saw her WITH Tony, just clips of her in a bed, which could easily have been CGI'd from "SWAK" footage. (Should go back and see that one again and see how it matches up. :-)

Yeah it is the same clothing they wore in quarantine.

I wonder if they tried to get Sasha to come back for the episode.

danharr

[7]Feb 9, 2012
    • level: 45

Good episode no complaints I usually don't go for these type of alternate ending stories but all the faces from the past and the human exploration of Gibbs was fun to see.

BTRAV

[8]Feb 10, 2012
    • level: 27
    As much as I hate episodes about Gibbs flashbacks and near-death experiences, I understand why they put it together for this one.

lynna12000

[9]Feb 15, 2012
    • level: 21
    I saw this episode as a way of giving DiNozzo a different future; tying in with ep 201. Yes, the deaths of his family STILL hurts Gibbs. And it always will. But Tony isn't going to repeat history. One of the ongoing themes for the show from the beginning is that Tony is a lot like Gibbs. Up to a point. Losing Kate, and Jeanne (I still think he did love her), hasn't tarnished Tonys' dream fof the future. Gibbs, on the other hand is still stuck in the past emotionally.

djboy77

[10]Feb 16, 2012
    • level: 7

These "it was all a dream" episodes usually annoy me. I suppose in this case I prefer the execution to the idea - I thought it was well done, poignant, thoughtful and full of faces we know. But that they did it at all seems kind of lazy, unless they pay it off as the experience changing Gibbs. And yet, I don't think that anyone actually wants that.

Peggy_Porcupine

[11]Aug 12, 2012
    • level: 13

When I watched this (2 weeks ago - I know, I am WAY behind) my first thought was "Is this a special episode?" You know, like the 100th or 150th or 200th? Those are the only reasons I could figure would explain this out-of-the-ordinary type of episode.

I found it interesting but truly a stand alone with no references to it at all. (I recall episode 200 for JAG was a "What If" episode which had no references made to it afterwards.)