NCIS Forums

Tuesday 8:00 PM on CBSIn Season

Time for an NCIS spin off

sfviewer

[1]Apr 16, 2008
    • level: 27
    Isn't it time for the producers to come out with an spin off of NCIS called CID. Just like NCIS came out of jag, CID should get a show on it's own. They featured CID agents time and time again, it'll be a really good show.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

lynna12000

[2]Apr 16, 2008
    • level: 21
    I think the time for a spin-off would be a few years down the line. And, ideally it would be one of the current team members getting their own team away from the DC area. The CID agents I've seen thus far haven't struck me as charasmatic enough to carry their own show.

The first time we saw Gibbs in JAG, you KNEW this was a guy you did not cross....ever. He would hunt you down and nail you to the ground, no matter what it took. There was something there that grabbed your attention. I enjoyed JAG for the most part. Harm was nice to look at, but he didn't really grab my attention the way Gibbs did. And Harm was the STAR of the show.

I liked Mann, but not enough to follow her weekly.

Igarka

[3]Apr 17, 2008
    • level: 12

lynna12000 wrote:
    I think the time for a spin-off would be a few years down the line. And, ideally it would be one of the current team members getting their own team away from the DC area. The CID agents I've seen thus far haven't struck me as charasmatic enough to carry their own show. The first time we saw Gibbs in JAG, you KNEW this was a guy you did not cross....ever. He would hunt you down and nail you to the ground, no matter what it took. There was something there that grabbed your attention. I enjoyed JAG for the most part. Harm was nice to look at, but he didn't really grab my attention the way Gibbs did. And Harm was the STAR of the show. I liked Mann, but not enough to follow her weekly.

Couldnt agree more. Well said.

sfviewer

[4]Apr 17, 2008
    • level: 27

lynna12000 wrote:
    I think the time for a spin-off would be a few years down the line. And, ideally it would be one of the current team members getting their own team away from the DC area. The CID agents I've seen thus far haven't struck me as charasmatic enough to carry their own show. The first time we saw Gibbs in JAG, you KNEW this was a guy you did not cross....ever. He would hunt you down and nail you to the ground, no matter what it took. There was something there that grabbed your attention. I enjoyed JAG for the most part. Harm was nice to look at, but he didn't really grab my attention the way Gibbs did. And Harm was the STAR of the show. I liked Mann, but not enough to follow her weekly.

the show doesn't have to be about Mann. When the first NCIS agents shown in JAG were not Gibbs. when they were about to come out with the NCIS spin off, that's when the brought in Gibbs and the team on JAG. they can create a new likable character and do a crossover episode just like how they started NCIS.

JAGNCISfan

[5]Apr 29, 2008
    • level: 2

I don't think it would be a good idea to make a spin-off of NCIS. Then it would be to much CSI or something like that.

NCIS is already a spin-off of JAG.

I know NCIS and JAG are 2 complete diffrent shows. But spin-off after spin-off is not a good idea. It would be to much.

lynna12000

[6]Apr 29, 2008
    Most people tend to forget that NCIS is a spin-off of JAG. And that, I think, shows how good the writers and actors are.

It would be very hard to put together another actor/writer team and have them be as good and as different as NCIS was from JAG.

LiLmIsSpOkAdOt

[7]Apr 29, 2008
    • level: 8
    Has there ever been a spin off of a spin off?

emeraldmile

[8]May 1, 2008
    • level: 20

LiLmIsSpOkAdOt wrote:
    Has there ever been a spin off of a spin off?

I don't know. Maybe NCIS could be the first

lynna12000

[9]May 1, 2008
    I think maybe Benson was a spin off of a spin off. First there was Soap, then Maude, then Benson. I could be wrong. Benson could also be a direct spin off from Soap. My memory of that bit of television history is a bit vague.

But NCIS would certainly be the first Drama.

mash_sg1angel

[10]May 1, 2008
    • level: 10
    What about CSI NY. isnt that a spin off of miami which is a spin off of the original CSI crime scene investigation

lynna12000

[11]May 2, 2008
    NY & Miami are considered spin offs of CSI

quigley_lib

[12]Jun 15, 2008
    • level: 13

lynna12000 wrote:
    I think maybe Benson was a spin off of a spin off. First there was Soap, then Maude, then Benson. I could be wrong. Benson could also be a direct spin off from Soap. My memory of that bit of television history is a bit vague. But NCIS would certainly be the first Drama.

Benson was a spinoff from Soap and Maude was a spinoff from All in the Family. I did find a three level spinoff All in the Family spun off Maude which spun off Good Times.

lynna12000

[13]Jun 15, 2008
    quigley_lib wrote:

lynna12000 wrote:
    I think maybe Benson was a spin off of a spin off. First there was Soap, then Maude, then Benson. I could be wrong. Benson could also be a direct spin off from Soap. My memory of that bit of television history is a bit vague. But NCIS would certainly be the first Drama.

Benson was a spinoff from Soap and Maude was a spinoff from All in the Family. I did find a three level spinoff All in the Family spun off Maude which spun off Good Times.

Thanks for the info. And let's not forget the all time classic All in the Family spin off: The Jeffersons.

That being said, I still think that IF they do a spin off, they should wait til NCIS is over. And then have Tony off somewhere with his own team.

vicky24c

[14]Jun 17, 2008
    • level: 24
    Unsure if it would work. I never watched JAG, but love NCIS.

Igarka

[15]Jun 17, 2008

vicky24c wrote:
    Unsure if it would work. I never watched JAG, but love NCIS.

Just like me! But if they find good writers, good story, belivable characters and good actors then I might watch, but that is true of any show.

lynna12000

[16]Jun 18, 2008
    The nice thing about spin-offs is that there is always the chance that a favorite character from the old show will pop in for a visit on the new show.

CaffeineGibbs

[18]Jun 18, 2008
    lynna12000 wrote:
    The nice thing about spin-offs is that there is always the chance that a favorite character from the old show will pop in for a visit on the new show.

That's not always a good thing though. NCIS has done well on it's own without bringing in people from JAG. Most (but not all!) shows bring in people from their parent shows because the ratings start to sag, that's the primary reason anyway. NCIS is doing good on their own and after a guest appearance by Patrick (Bud Roberts) from JAG back in season one, they haven't done any more (not with the major stars from JAG anyway) Yeah many fans would LOVE to see Mac or Harm back again , even temporarily, but NCIS isn't their show, they'll just look out of place especially considering how the NCIS team and Mac and Harm met. We all know how Bud reacted when he was in a JAG ep. I don't think we should expect anything warmer from the other folks.

CaffeineGibbs

[19]Jun 18, 2008
    lynna12000 wrote:
    I think the time for a spin-off would be a few years down the line. And, ideally it would be one of the current team members getting their own team away from the DC area. The CID agents I've seen thus far haven't struck me as charasmatic enough to carry their own show.

The first time we saw Gibbs in JAG, you KNEW this was a guy you did not cross....ever. He would hunt you down and nail you to the ground, no matter what it took. There was something there that grabbed your attention. I enjoyed JAG for the most part. Harm was nice to look at, but he didn't really grab my attention the way Gibbs did. And Harm was the STAR of the show.

I liked Mann, but not enough to follow her weekly.

Well said. Granted, they could do a show about Fornell, he'd carry it off very well, but it's (FBI) done and overdone. Given this is DPBs show, and his military background, if he'll do a spin off, it will be of a military nature.(even if he no longer is the show runner, he is still the show's co-creator)

Igarka

[20]Jun 18, 2008

CaffeineGibbs wrote:
    lynna12000 wrote:
    Well said. Granted, they could do a show about Fornell, he'd carry it off very well, but it's (FBI) done and overdone. Given this is DPBs show, and his military background, if he'll do a spin off, it will be of a military nature.(even if he no longer is the show runner, he is still the show's co-creator)

I was just thinking that Fornell is the one character that could possibly carry a show. But I agree whith you on it being overdone.