NCIS

Life Before His Eyes

Aired Tuesday 8:00 PM Feb 07, 2012 on CBS

• Introspection

The episode wasn't perfect. No episode ever is. Truth is though that every show needs an introspective episode. NCIS does not do that. They cling onto the past rarely, and like to make sure that every episode is new, current, and interesting. The only problem with that is the show becomes very CSI-esque. Someone died, find out who. Someone ELSE died, find out who. That gets monotonous and boring. Gibbs is the most secretive and the most important character in the show, and there is NO better time to look inside his choices and understand how we got here than during the 200th episode. Bringing back Mike and Hernandez, Jenny, Shannon and Kelly was great. Just like the episode in which we find out that Gibbs killed his wife and daughter's murderer, we got to understand why Gibbs is the way he is. His strength battles his guilt everyday because he realizes he is no better than any of the men he's put away. I loved Gibbs's mom. It's always great to have a new character brought in, and you KNOW she's not coming back in future episodes, but was just a character used to teach Gibbs a lesson: if she hadn't left, Gibbs would not have grown up faster, he might never have needed to leave Pennsylvania, and join the Marines, which means he might never have met Shannon. Ripple effect. Interesting storyline, great execution, fantastic episode. If you don't think so, that's alright. Your opinion is your opinion, but for me, nothing marks a 200th episode like introspection.