NCIS

Episode 0

Navy NCIS: The Beginning

Aired Tuesday 8:00 PM Oct 21, 2003 on CBS

• Small correction

Both the air date & synopsis are incorrect. The two episodes aired the previous May, near the end of season 8 of JAG.

They can be seen here:

1033854/JAG/season_8/episode_20/Ice_Queen/%22

and here:

1033875/JAG/season_8/episode_21/Meltdown/%22

When you click on a link, you might see a small "Media Player Update" box popping up, which you should NOT install. Just click the video's 'Play' arrow beside it and it'll disappear. In Firefox, a second browser window will open; just close it. If it doesn't play in Firefox, use Internet Explorer.

• LALALALALA where can i get this?

WHERE CAN I WATCH IT!? ANYBODY KNOW?
  • The opening of a new franchise. This is a JAG episode but is the introduction to NCIS. We are introduced to most of our team. Gibbs, DiNozzo, Abby, and Ducky are all among the people we see in this Pilot. A dead body washes up & a terrorist is caught.

This is our first glimpse into the NCIS world and it gives us so much information about our new soon to be friends. It firmly establishes Gibbs as our leader, brilliant interrogator, strict demeanor, compassionate towards kids, but it also shows us that he at the top of his game as an investigator. We meet DiNozzo and glimpse his attitude but most importantly that he is only a few steps behind Gibbs with regard to seeing things the way Gibbs does. This is evident when he is tirelessly searching for the killer while Gibbs is away and Blackadder has all but convicted Rabb and moved on. Abby is our gifted forensic scientist same as she is in all seasons. Blackadder is definitely the least likable person on the team and has issues. At the very beginning she is arguing with Gibbs about his decision to question the scout and gives him dirty looks. What she does not know is that Gibbs only talks to the kid to help him get past the horror of what happened which makes Blackadder look like all the more a doofus. Her brother was killed on the USS Cole and after the terrorist is killed she demands to be put on the team yelling at Gibbs who has to act like a drill instructor to make her back down. At the end of the episode she screws up the capture of the terrorist by staring at him thereby giving him the knowledge that they were after him.

The only visible difference we see in character development from this Jag episode to our actual NCIS series is that Ducky hounds after Blackadder to go out with him almost like Tony does in NCIS with random girls. This attitude of his was removed in the actual series. Ducky still talks to corpses but there is a weird movey/blurry vision of the corpse looking at the team and Ducky through the 2 part pilot. This is annoying and stupid and was also removed for the series.

Blackadder is also removed for the NCIS series as well. She will be absent from the next episode and there will be nobody in her place until the end of the episode where Kate will be hired. It is assumed from a number of exchanges and her screw up at the end that she may have gone back to the FBI.

This episode centers around a body that is washed up on the river bank that turns out to be Lt. Singer from Jag and during the investigation the evidence piles up against Cmdr. Rabb and he is consequently tried for murder. An additional plot line running concurrently is that a terrorist on the NCIS watch list is captured by them and the director needs thier best interrogator (Gibbs) out there but not until the case is wrapped up. At the end they find out that Rabb is not guilty and Gibbs and Tony go to bat for him to finding the real killer endearing both of them to us for saving Rabb who looks like he's going down. Gibbs has a really weird interrogation method that brings results in a fraction of time that the CIA's does and from that information they are able to stop another attack on a Naval ship.

All in all this episode is done well and they removed the 3 things that sucked about this episode from the NCIS series starting in the next episode. Those are Ducky acting like Tony, the stupid corpse soul floaty view, and Blackadder. This episode is quite good and if you missed it but have only seen NCIS and want to go back to watch it I would recommend it.
  • I loved this episode. I watched Jag every morning before work. And When I saw this episode I loved it, I loved the characters. I wasnot aware that it was going to be a new show, but I was hoping that we would be seeing moe of these crazy characters.

When I was watching this episode I was so upset that they were trying to charge Rabb with the murder of his brother that he tries so hard to save. Then they brought in the NCIS team I could tell that Rabb and Gibbs were really just rying to figure each other out. Gibbs was so sure that Rabb had something to do with it at first. To me it was a good suspense episode. Abby was so cool and like now I felt like she was one of the most real life type characters. The whole story was so aggrevating, you knew that he didn't do it but you could not imagine the aggrevation Rabb felt knowing he didn't have anything to do with it but could not get Gibbs to listen. For awhile there you thought that Rabb may be in for the long haul. I loved how they managed to combine one show with a new show and make it work.

GREAT START OFF..
  • I forgot how the series started until I caught this in reruns the other week.

In retrospect this episode was much better than most pilots. It gave us some characters we already knew and expanded with new characters. We had the JAG characters and built a series from it.
    The interaction of all the members of NCIS was good and I do miss Robyn Lively but Sasha Alexander was a good fit for the show.
    It was a good episode, better actually than the pilot for JAG which was mediocre, and the character mix was much beter as was the interaction.
    You can see quickly that Gibbs is a leader and quirky. I love the whole crew and concept.
  • The perfect start to a great series!

As far as pilots go, I believe that this was a huge success. I think it was a great idea to start the show off of JAG. Having already been on air for a while, JAG was a popular show and had many veiwers. This was a gift for NCIS. Ducky was absolutely fantastic in this episode. His endless persuit of Viv Blackadder added the right amount of humor that the show needed. These episodes also showed just a bit of agent Gibbs personality. When he was talking to the cub scout, we learned that something bad had happened to him when he was a child. These two episodes showed the perfect amount of humor and seriousness needed to make a great show.
  • The pilot!

Rabb is framed again for a murder that he didn't
    Commit and that the JAG and NCIS must team up
    And put aside their differences and work together in order to find out who is really framing Harm.
    This is a great show and promises to be exciting and holds it own outside of JAG!
  • this is exactly how pilots should go, introduce the characters have a kicking storyline and show the world what your made of!

I never saw the first episode of NCIS untill after season 2 finished and so i was glad to know that the characters had evolved throughout the series' this episode showed just how successful the NCIS team really is, they can be serious, funny, gripping and hardworking when they need to be and is definately one of those episodes that you can watch over and over again.

Anyone who is new to NCIS or i concidering watching it should take note of this episode and use it as a guide to what you are going to see throughout the rest of season 1 and the other 2 series'

This is a must see episode!
  • I loved this episode.

I loved this episode. Great beginning, a real eye catcher. This was a really great way to begin a new tv series and I love Tony's part. He is a real ass in the beginning but he turns out to be a really great guy in the end. Very good show.
  • good begining

7.4
    when i watched this episode of JAG with my sister we both looked a eachother and said "this would make a real good show" and then the series came out. whitch was great. it is a good show and does well. i not only enjoy the crime storys but also the back storys as well.