NCIS

Short Fuse

Aired Tuesday 8:00 PM Oct 05, 2010 on CBS

• Fair; but why would NCIS investigate this case in the first place?

The good:
    ¶ interesting, mysterious, complex crime-detective case. Not great, but OK. Female Marine kills "burglar" who broke into her house about 2 AM. We are led on an investigation of who the "burglar" was and what he was after.
    ¶ lots of good humor about an advertising crew photographing Tony for a Marine recruitment brochure.
    ¶ I like how Tony shines in this and most of the episodes -- he is always contributing savvy things to the investigation. I don't why many fans complain that he is virtually always shown as a buffoon. .
    The bad:
    ¶ My main gripe: I like to "suspend disbelief" in order to enjoy an episode, but I can only go so far. In real life would a law enforcement/investigative agency have the time and money to investigate further the incident that started this episode? -- a Marine person shoots dead an armed criminal who broke into her home. There is some suspicion that that she had a guest there at the time, and she lies about anyone else being present. Is that such a big deal that it would warrant an investigation?
    ¶ more flimsy, "lucky" detective work after NCIS figures out the marine was the target of a killing, not a break-in: they call her by cellphone which doesn't answer, so they go to the trouble to travel to the location of the cellphone, a hospital; find by luck that she visits her brother, a gunshot patient; they delve into the brother's criminal case and happened to discover that the FBI guy (who was at her apartment) recommended immunity (for info on other crimes) for the shooter of the brother, and so on.....
    ¶ In real life could McGee eliminate all the cell users in the area at the time of the shooting to narrow it down to one person? Other improbabilities too. Why didn't the bad guy try killing her himself rather than hire a hit man?
    ¶ Here, as in many, many NCIS episodes, the team --improbably-- swoops down on the villains at the end of the episode right at the key moment when they are about to kill someone or do some other dastardly deed. Too coincidental.
CBS