Necessary Roughness

To Swerve and Protect

Aired Wednesday 10:00 PM Jun 13, 2012 on USA

• Better than I had expected

The A story for me was what was going on with the Hawks, Nico and Pittman. After hearing about Marshall Pittman during almost every episode of last season, I thought they'd missed the boat in the season premiere. Evan Handler has the grit and charm necessary to play Pittman but the writers weren't giving him much to work with. This episode they came through and so did he.

At first glance many of his decisions appeared to be irrational until it all came together at the end. In can't say I like Pittman but give me an antagonist with depth and I'm sold.

The B story was pleasant and kept my attention. It was nice to see the two different sides to the Roller Derby woman's life but I wish they'd used the airtime to give us more information on the A story, TK included.

What we saw of TK was fitting given the way he unraveled at the end of the last episode. I hope the writers are planning to allow his character to grow and not keep knocking him back every time he makes some progress. It is getting old.

The only reason this episode didn't get a 10 was because of the ridiculous situation with Dani's son. Been a single mom with teens, Dr. D missed the boat.

• To Swerve and Protect

Another so so episode of Necessary Roughness tonight. I am not really sure what to make of Evan Handler's character controlling everything, I don't think this is the right role for him.

And the "twist" with him not releasing TK was not a surprise at all. Where they go from here could be fun, but it's just an average episode in my book.