Neon Genesis Evangelion Forums

Cartoon Network (ended 1996)

Live Action Movie Discussion

StarlightMaker

[1]Aug 24, 2005
    • level: 33
    That's right! I just found out today (through a nice lady who worked at Suncoast while I was getting the third Platinum Edition DVD of our favorite anime) that there is talks of a Neon Genesis Evangelion movie under way! So, I decided to do some research, and it is apparently true! Click here:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/article.php?id=3608

Of course, this may not be news to some of you hardcore fans, but I'm just getting into the show, so I was surprised! I'm actually lookng forward to it. The "dream team," so to speak, seems really impressive. I'm happy with the team that will be handling the graphics because they have been working for Academy Award-winner Peter Jackson on projects such as The Lord of the Rings trilogy and the new King Kong movie!! What does everyone else thing about this??

Also: I saw somewhere through a Yahoo! search that some people think that the movie is being too westernized (read the article through the link above for more details)! I don't think so. In fact, I like the idea. =D
    Edited on 04/01/2006 12:11pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Chiroptera_Rex

[2]Aug 25, 2005
    • level: 50
    Well, the information is over 2 years old now. There is an interview with Weta on The End of Evangelion DVD, but so far that's as much as I've heard about it, and that interview is over 3 years old. There's been a lot of speculation on ANN's boards about this and most of it deals with the fact that there has been no real news on the project since it was first announced. Weta's site for the film says that the project is "on hold."

It's incredibly hard to pare down a twelve-plus hour anime series to probably three hours. There would be so many things that would have to be left out. I suppose that Weta could be working hard with Hidaeki Anno and Gainax in trying to develop a good screenplay, and that could be why it's been so long since there has been any new info on this project.

StarlightMaker

[3]Aug 25, 2005
    Oh... well, yeah, I guess that would make sense. But, I don't understand why they have to shove the whole series into one movie. I think that they could do the movie onthe first 7 episodes or so. Then, if it is successful enough, maybe a sequel?! Now, this sequel wouldn't just be to have another movie for more money, like with what Disney does nowadays because the company's all out of ideas (ie Mulan 2, Little Mermaid 2, Lion King 1 1/2), but it would be because they couldn't finish the darn thing in one go.

Or, another idea: They start later on in the series, like past episode 8, so Asuka is already there. Maybe? Maybe not?

Chiroptera_Rex

[4]Aug 25, 2005
    • level: 50
    Maybe Weta will do a trilogy after making all that money with The Lord of the Rings. The storyline of Neon Genesis: Evangelion takes place over all 26 episodes and the movie. There is so much ground to cover and I don't really feel that there is much that they can leave out.

I just don't like movies based on books/series/comics. They always have to cut things out and what they cut never sits well with me.

StarlightMaker

[5]Aug 28, 2005
    Well... I guess we differ there. I love it when movies are better their books. To name a few that I like: Howl's Moving Castle, Jackie Brown, and A Series of Unfortunate Events. I thought all of these were better than the books, but that's just my opinion. =D

godson86

[6]Sep 1, 2005
    • level: 2
    I heard a couple of monts ago from a HARDCORE NGE fanboy that the movie was scrapped. So don't expect a movie any time soon, or at all.

Nicren

[7]Sep 17, 2005
    • level: 7
    Wikipedia had this info but did not name a source:

Live action movie
    Production of a live action version of Evangelion was announced in May 2003 by the American company ADV Films (which holds world-wide rights to the series outside of Asia and Australia), and will be made by ADV, Gainax, and Weta Workshop Ltd.. It is estimated to be released from as early as 2006 to as late as 2010. Hideaki Anno, the director of the anime, will not be directing this live-action film, and as of August 2005 its production is on hold as a director is yet to be chosen.

StarlightMaker

[8]Sep 22, 2005
    [QUOTE="Nicren"]It is estimated to be released from as early as 2006 to as late as 2010.[QUOTE]
    Well... they better get right on it then, LOL!

dbrittain39

[9]Sep 27, 2005
    • level: 12
    All im worried about is how they handle the handle it. This doesnt worry me as much as Transformers(what are they thinking) but with a bad directer this could be ruined.

StarlightMaker

[10]Oct 2, 2005
    dbrittain39 wrote:
    All im worried about is how they handle the handle it. This doesnt worry me as much as Transformers(what are they thinking) but with a bad directer this could be ruined.

What do you mean?? I'm really excited about the Transformers movie!! I always have faith in movies like these because, if they do it well, then I'm really happy. The only thing is, I never really followed the story when that show was on the air because there were so many episodes. But, I remember thinking how cool they were! Isn't Peter Jackson directing that one?? Or is it some one else?? I believe I remember hearing a big name.

dbrittain39

[11]Oct 3, 2005
    • level: 12
    No he isnt but the people who did the CGI for LOTR are the one that are doing it for this movie.

Zacheria

[12]Oct 4, 2005
    • level: 6
    saddness is me. Hollywood has done some stupid things, but taking this artistic and philisophical masterpeice and making it into an action movie. This might be the end of me my friends.

Isenfolme

[13]Oct 11, 2005
    • level: 7
    Well yeah, but you never know, they might do a fabby job of it. Let's face it, even if the movie turns out to be awful, we'll still have our 26 episodes of top notch anime to enjoy. *g*

Of course, I think it'll be a very hard job. Hideaki Anno's writing is some of the densest that I've ever seen - packing even half of the raw information shown or mentioned in the series into a single movie would be well nigh impossible. However, I do think that of those 26 episodes, there was some redundant stuff. Certainly, there were several introspective episodes musing on the philosophical nature of the self which could be rendered as an overarching theme throughout the film. As they say in the biz - show, don't tell.

Question is, do you focus on the characters, or do you focus on the situation? Things have to build up to Instrumentality as a climax, but is that done by looking into the heads of the characters, or is it done by taking a more external action-adventure route?

To be blunt, I think there's the potential for a film to be done, and for that film to be quality, but it's going to take a very very good screenwriter. Emphasis on the writer, not the director. Boiling the series down into say 3 hours is going to be a very skilled job, and the rest of the film will hang on that work. Cracking CGI is all very well, but unless that's put together with a watertight plot, it's not going to get you very far.

13th_rei

[14]Oct 17, 2005
    • level: 8
    Yeah I would be looking forward to the movie if it wasn't for the fear Hollywood could F it up.

StarlightMaker

[15]Nov 17, 2005
    13th_rei wrote:
    Yeah I would be looking forward to the movie if it wasn't for the fear Hollywood could F it up.

Hollywood wouldn't do that! Well...

tvssecondchild

[16]Nov 18, 2005
    • level: 14
    StarlightMaker wrote:
    13th_rei wrote:

Hollywood wouldn't do that! Well...

Yes starlight, keep telling yourself that...

StarlightMaker

[17]Dec 6, 2005
    tvssecondchild wrote:

LOL!

13th_rei

[18]Dec 11, 2005
    • level: 8
    StarlightMaker wrote:
    tvssecondchild wrote:

LOL!

StarlightMaker

[19]Jan 5, 2006
    13th_rei wrote:
    StarlightMaker wrote:
    tvssecondchild wrote:

LOL!

I was trying to figure out why you just quoted me and that's it, and then I realized you tried to put a picture. Does anyone see it?

DinkaMailer

[20]Jan 6, 2006
    • level: 17
    Nope, because pics are disabled because of some Windows security-weakness... or whatever... */me makes a sad face*