New Amsterdam Forums

FOX (ended 2008)

Official "Honor" Episode Discussion - Possible Spoilers

Gislef

[1]Mar 16, 2008
    • level: 101
    Please direct discussion of the 3/17/08 episode "Honor" here.

Thanks!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Peregrine_Kloor

[2]Mar 17, 2008
    • level: 6
    from the preview last week Sara had a husband.

anorthview

[3]Mar 17, 2008
    • level: 13
    Does anybody else have a problem w/ the "hero" being an adulterer, and his lady love being adulterous and easy?

animalgrace

[4]Mar 17, 2008
    • level: 10
    I have no problem what so ever! And who says she's easy?.... okay, after the last few minutes of "Honor" - yep, she's easy. But she did play hard to get for a few episodes. Seriously though, I was a little disappointed that they slept together so quickly. There was supposed to be all this sexual tension and us all wondering when the heck they were going to get get together. So here they are - rolling around in the comforter. Oh well, I would have done him too. lol.

krussell47

[5]Mar 17, 2008
    • level: 12
    I also found it shocking that she slept him so quickly since they only really met in the last episode, but I am glad to they got together even though she's still married. I see that ending pretty quickly now. But remember, the real issue is she the one? I really don't know right yet and I doubt we will find out for a while. But I really like how everything he encounters while on the job has been something he's encountered in the past. The flashbacks really give us an idea of how he's got to where he is now.

lynna12000

[6]Mar 18, 2008
    • level: 21
    I'm still not convinced that she is 'the one'. But it does give him an interest other than the obligatory partner.

I also like the fact that John is certainly not perfect. He throws money at problems instead of solving them. He runs away from things. He sleeps around. He does not have all the answers. Which is an interesting twist on the immortal hero genre. John may not be in danger of losing his head; but that's about all he isn't in danger of losing.

I'll stick with this and hope it gets renewed.

anorthview

[7]Mar 18, 2008
    animalgrace wrote:
    Oh well, I would have done him too. lol.

Oh you silly lady, well lady I hope

jdbond

[8]Mar 18, 2008
    I think writers mixed up India with Pakistan (or a muslim country). In 2008, such a view of world is just pathetic. I mean honor killing in India! Indians hating jews!
    Edited on 03/18/2008 2:56am

TylerA46

[9]Mar 18, 2008
    • level: 11
    This is a really interesting show, with the immortality, past happenings, 400 years of life experience, the detective stories etc. I just hope there won't be a big chaos with the ONE thing. So, if she is the One, in the next episode John should be mortal? I doubt the marriage makes him mortal. After this episode although i think, she isn't the one, it was too easy. I think the one should come in his life naturally, and not by searching after her, after he watched her on video.
    Edited on 03/18/2008 4:51am

[10]Mar 18, 2008
    • level: 7
    jdbond wrote:
    I think writers mixed up India with Pakistan (or a muslim country). In 2008, such a view of world is just pathetic. I mean honor killing in India! Indians hating jews!
    Not sure about Indians hating Jews but "honor" killing do happen in India. Might not be for the same reasons as Muslim countries (usually because of dowry, not rape/loving someone else/etc).

HRGirl

[11]Mar 18, 2008
    • level: 9
    I really like this show. I did not see them sleeping together as being too quick. I know it was only an episode after they met and all, but look how many times they have seen each other. I am unsure that she is the one, but you never know. Since she is married, it isn't going to be as easy as it seems to marry her...

larsaw

[12]Mar 18, 2008
    There are Muslim in India and i don`t think it was hateing jews
    more that the guy was not from india.

tjoceasde

[13]Mar 18, 2008
    • level: 18

TylerA46 wrote:
    This is a really interesting show, with the immortality, past happenings, 400 years of life experience, the detective stories etc. I just hope there won't be a big chaos with the ONE thing. So, if she is the One, in the next episode John should be mortal? I doubt the marriage makes him mortal. After this episode although i think, she isn't the one, it was too easy. I think the one should come in his life naturally, and not by searching after her, after he watched her on video.

It will probably be a slow transition when he becomes moral. For example, if the Dr. is the one, maybe John will look in the mirror and see a single gray hair.

Solo154

[14]Mar 18, 2008

anorthview wrote:
    Does anybody else have a problem w/ the "hero" being an adulterer, and his lady love being adulterous and easy?

Yea, this bothered me, that he didn't just let it go, and then even slept with her. The show is flying around and I want it desperately to be good, but there are many moments, like this that it leaves a bad taste in my mouth...

On another note, the girl who played Fanny is one of my favorite YouTube people: http://www.youtube.com/user/ichannel

krisi1021

[15]Mar 18, 2008
    • level: 11

I'm loving this show more and more and more ...
    I love how it jumps back hundreds of years ... he always seems to have some part in history ... like the famous designer of the table Omar sold. Lol That still has to be one of my favorite spots.

I have a feeling Sarah is not "the one". Not b/c she doesn't fit, or b/c he doesn't want her to be ... I just imagine him falling in love with her ... truly loving her, and then coming to realize she's not the one he was meant to find. Then, in the midst of it all, he finds the one ... but with his heart being with Sarah, he's faced with a choice of losing her just to obtain mortality.
    Granted, I could be totally wrong. There has to be a twist though. I mean, it's too perfectly set up right now.
    She's separated from her husband, their relationship is on the rocks, and she is falling for John.
    There has to be a twist, I just can't find it. Ewwwwww ... what if she's like one of his long lost daughters ... I'm sure over the past hundreds of years he has a few children that he didn't know about. Ew, that's just gross, nevermind.

Is it just me or does his partner seem a bit jealous of his interest in Sarah??? She's always interrupting, and then ragging him about flirting with her.

Jacks_Son

[16]Mar 18, 2008
    I was disappointed in this episode. I too felt that it was rushed. Not only with the JA and Sara get together, but the rest of the storyline. It wasn't as tightly written as I had hoped. I think they solved the crime too easily and it just seemed so anticlimactic. The resolution of the past incident seemed unlikely. A groom doesn't slap a Gentleman in the face and get a chance to duel. Then he runs because he killed a Gentleman? That's just so inconsistent. Also, he kills the "owner" of the servants and they just go on as if there will be no repercussions?

I also don't like the lack of involvement by JA's partner. She seems to be like a background figure. She needs more input in the cases. JA solving the cases because he's a "savant" is crap. That's going to get old. They need to work together as a team. The forensics is practically non-existent, and there appears to be only three detectives working homicide in NEW YORK CITY!!

As for Sara, they have a nice chemistry and they actually appear to be attracted to each other, but whoa!! Who scores with a considerate, married woman THAT quickly??? It just cheapened the whole experience.

The show seems to be written with a short term in mind.

animalgrace

[17]Mar 18, 2008

anorthview wrote:
    animalgrace wrote:
    Oh well, I would have done him too. lol.
    Oh you silly lady, well lady I hope

Yep - Me Lady....

harihudson

[18]Mar 18, 2008
    • level: 15
    I also liked that the flashback showed him as being "human" - being a jerk to his ladyfriend, but be able to work through his jealously and apologizing to her. I wasn't too happy w/ he and the doc's hookup so soon, but I too hope she isn't the one. The pre-sex sexual/romantic tension is what makes a TV relationship interesting - the sparks sometimes die when the couple gets together. And I want this show to last.

JohnTFolden

[19]Mar 18, 2008
    • level: 5
    I think we have to keep in mind that this show is about John's journey. It seems to me that maybe Sara isn't the one but I'm happy they didn't stretch it out... If she isn't, don't wait 20 episode to let me know, deal with it and move on to the next.

pantera_rosso

[20]Mar 19, 2008
    • level: 9
    [QUOTE="Jacks_Son"]I was disappointed in this episode. I too felt that it was rushed. Not only with the JA and Sara get together, but the rest of the storyline. It wasn't as tightly written as I had hoped. I think they solved the crime too easily and it just seemed so anticlimactic. The resolution of the past incident seemed unlikely. A groom doesn't slap a Gentleman in the face and get a chance to duel. Then he runs because he killed a Gentleman? That's just so inconsistent. QUOTE]He did challenge him in front of his peers, that would make it a problem if he did not accept, He would be admitting plus he would let a servant talk to him like that. Don't think you need to be a "gentleman" ie a man of means to duel. The part for him needing to run, even in today
    s society it is not uncommon for friends or family to come for revenge, and as the earlier part with the constable shows, this was a time were money buy revenge or would prevent that revenge from being punished. It was set up this way to compare with the indian girls family punishing her. As for the claim of adultry, as a single human being i'm not sure what the rules are while separated. On a general note, i have come to like this show (that could be bad news a lot of shows that i like get cancelled)

It has flair, a bit of humor, some action, they could use eva better. It has a bit of what i liked in burn notice