New Amsterdam Forums

FOX (ended 2008)

Official "Love Hurts" Episode Discussion - S01E08 (Possible Spoilers)

Jeric-Ho

[1]Apr 10, 2008
    • level: 34

Photobucket

Eva investigates the case of a woman who apparently drowned, alongside John who is recovering from a gunshot wound. The death is apparently related to robberies of wealthy men linked to a dating service. In the meanwhile, John looks back at his life in the 1920s, when he committed fraud and stole an expensive diamond pendant from his lover. Also, John wants to be sure if Sara is his true love, who can convert him to a mortal. But John is unwilling to hurt her feelings by keeping secrets about his past to himself, and as a result, decides to back away from the growing relationship between the two.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sounds to be a good episode! we will find out more back story on John, and possibly a new John Amsterdam alias!

Edited on 04/10/2008 4:54pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Sugar2U

[2]Apr 12, 2008
    • level: 9

It says he starts to back away from "THE ONE" Is he getting cold feet about possibly dieing??? I mean I would..Plus I really dont think she could be the ONE..OK well lets just say I HOPE she is not the ONE...

I hope they dont cancel this show even if it comes back Mid season I would be happy...

Jeric-Ho

[3]Apr 12, 2008
    I don't think she is 'The one' as he does not know for sure, it could have been anyone on the tube station that made his heart do that, he looked at the CCTV footage and she was on it, it might not be her though, it could be someone we have not seen yet!

What if it's a man? would he go to the lengths of being gay in order to be mortal! lol

Princess_Pinky

[4]Apr 12, 2008
    • level: 11

Jeric-Ho wrote:
    What if it's a man? would he go to the lengths of being gay in order to be mortal! lol

That would be a really interesting twist!

But, this is FOX we're talking about, so I highly doubt they'd ever do something so controversial.

krisi1021

[5]Apr 14, 2008

Okay, this might not make any sense .... but what if "the one" isn't another woman, or man even??? I mean, he's been so many people himself, what if the Indian lady was referring to "the one" true him??? What if he's been so busy looking for the love of his life, entirely missing the point of finding himself, and his one true persona??? I think that'd be a decent twist.
    I mean, he's loved so many women, and treated so many badly. He's cheated and lied and stolen and killed. He's done all there is to do, and now he's on the other side ... the good side. Maybe it's not Sara, or his partner that are making him become mortal, but rather this persona of himself. Him actually doing good, rather than all the bad he's done????

I mean, if anything, I wouldn't thought Omar's mother was the one. He loved her more than he even loves Sara now, and that was evident in flashbacks of one episode. We've seen him with Sara all this time, and there's nothing!

anorthview

[6]Apr 14, 2008
    • level: 13
    ALL HAIL THE GRAND RAPIDS MICHIGAN REFERENCE

anorthview

[7]Apr 14, 2008
    I hope he didn't just walk off forever, and good riddance to Sara, her character was erratic at best.

Princess_Pinky

[8]Apr 14, 2008
    krisi1021 wrote:

Okay, this might not make any sense .... but what if "the one" isn't another woman, or man even??? I mean, he's been so many people himself, what if the Indian lady was referring to "the one" true him??? What if he's been so busy looking for the love of his life, entirely missing the point of finding himself, and his one true persona??? I think that'd be a decent twist.
    I mean, he's loved so many women, and treated so many badly. He's cheated and lied and stolen and killed. He's done all there is to do, and now he's on the other side ... the good side. Maybe it's not Sara, or his partner that are making him become mortal, but rather this persona of himself. Him actually doing good, rather than all the bad he's done????

I mean, if anything, I wouldn't thought Omar's mother was the one. He loved her more than he even loves Sara now, and that was evident in flashbacks of one episode. We've seen him with Sara all this time, and there's nothing!

I think that would be a fantastic twist! The only thing that makes me wonder about it is the line about "souls being wed," which seems a little odd. (His soul being wed to himself? His personality?) But if they did that, I'd be all for it! It would be a really cool idea.

lynna12000

[9]Apr 15, 2008
    • level: 21
    This episode tied up 1 loose end and then revealed some others. Hopefully they will be tied up in season 2. (fingers are crossed).

His partner is growing on me faster than the Sergeant. Something about that woman does not sit right. And Omar is someone else that bothers me. He needles John relentlessly, and not in a kindly fashion. I'm not sure he has Johns' best interests in mind.

anorthview

[10]Apr 15, 2008
    lynna12000 wrote:
    season 2. (fingers are crossed). His partner is growing on me faster than the Sergeant. Something about that woman does not sit right. And Omar is someone else that bothers me. He needles John relentlessly, and not in a kindly fashion. I'm not sure he has Johns' best interests in mind.
    I like the partner, they are a strong match, but the Sergeant I love, they are a "pair" in what sense yet I'm unsure, but in any event I believe that they will work well together under any circumstance, I want to know more about their past and even more about his opinions on her Arse

Omar is his son, its what son's do, they worry and they are allowed to push your buttons in any way shape or form, and he has it rough, he sees his father living his life, a life that *only he knows is blessed and cursed, a life in which his father has given him so much more than a son could ever expect, and the one thing he knows his father wants he hasn't been able to help w/. Omar has to be dealing w/ that, and living in such an internal hell, b/c who can he confide in, who can he ask for help, if anyone is truly alone on this show it is Omar b/c he has no confidante, and he should be allowed to "NEEDLE" in any manner he sees fit!

And the only time he truly needled him was when they were working a "Long Con" together and it was his role to actively "Jiminy Cricket" him for a bit, the rest has been pure worrie, nothing more, nothing less.

*While the doc has the information about him, w/o believing there is no knowledge

Edited on 04/15/2008 1:08am

jabberwiki

[11]Apr 15, 2008
    • level: 3
    What if "The One" who makes him mortal isn't so much a mystic prediction but rather a practical one? Sara is a doctor- perhaps she is the one who can "cure" his immortality by using her medical knowledge to treat his condition? But to do so, she would have to make the decision to grant the ability to die to the one she loved while he would have to make an active choice let himself be made mortal (vs. treating it as fate and merely finding the one). Both their hearts as one, as it were.
    Edited on 04/15/2008 1:25am

TylerA46

[12]Apr 15, 2008
    Maybe I have a too good heart, but I don't think he should have ended this relatinship like that. If he tells her the truth, why not prove it? Also, he showed no signs of love to Sara, and his partner seems sexier now.
    Edited on 04/15/2008 3:12am

TylerA46

[13]Apr 15, 2008
    Oh, and the russian maffia forgot, that John survived? Didn't they read in the newspaper: NYC cop survives maffia attack...? And there is no investigation, to catch the shooter.

BigPapaHusker

[14]Apr 15, 2008
    • level: 2
    Anyone catch one of the dead girl's boyfriends was the guy who bought the desk in the first episode? When he looked at John he instantly stated he looked like Benwaar. I thought that little scene was pretty funny.
    Edited on 04/15/2008 10:02am

Jacks_Son

[15]Apr 15, 2008
    Anyone else catch people on the street walking back and forth? For instance, when JA was talking to that woman who ran the dating service and asked her is she could find him the name of the person who referred the vic, people behind them (specifically two women) were walking away and then walking back. I guess the budget was kind of tight. the final scene was straight out of "Angel", except it wasn't a dark alley but the MIDDLE of a street.

Myrddin19

[16]Apr 15, 2008
    • level: 5

BigPapaHusker wrote:
    Anyone catch one of the dead girl's boyfriends was the guy who bought the desk in the first episode? When he looked at John he instantly stated he looked like Benwaar. I thought that little scene was pretty funny.

Yeah, I loved that one, too. As for Sara, I'd say she's not the one, but I'll bet they will be together again in the future, I guess something will happen, and then she will get convinced he's telling the truth (maybe a DNA analysis could confirm that Omar is his genetic son, for example).

I liked the con man part, it's clear that John hasn't been exactly a good guy for the most part of his 400 years of existence, though I admit is pretty tough to have a normal life (meaning a job, family, paying taxes, etc.) when you don't grow old, and people around you will notice.

I found it a good episode, laughed a lot with the fake fight with the sergeant (guess everyone saw that one coming from miles), I'd like to see John romantically involved with his boss in the future, see how that turns out.

krussell47

[17]Apr 15, 2008
    • level: 12
    I'm kinda sad to see the doc go, but if she isn't the one, then Amsterdam definately had to move on. I really liked the con with the whiskey. I really thought he broke his sobriety, but hey it worked and they caught the bad guys or should I say girls yet again. I really hope FOX brings this show back for another season.

anestaphine

[18]Apr 15, 2008
    • level: 7
    A very good episode!
    Storylines are getting tighter!
    And now the break!

danharr

[19]Apr 17, 2008
    • level: 45
    Great episode i'm glad the question of John finding the one this season has been answered and next season we'll have more possibilities to explore on that front. I don't believe it's his partner since he's never had an attack from being around her but they can always spin an excuse as to why later but it'd be too easy for her to be the one so i'm hoping she isn't. Fun as always to see a time when John wasn't the good guy and the grift storyline was handled well.

Jeric-Ho

[20]Apr 18, 2008
    'The One' could be someone he works with, his partner possibly, maybe he needs to get to know the person before they become 'The One' it may not be instant, it could be gradual until he gets the pain in his heart and he knows!

And it could have been anyone on that plaform that made him collapse! not just the doctor, he might have tracked the wrong person!