New Amsterdam Forums

FOX (ended 2008)

Official "Soldier's Heart" Episode Discussion - S01E03 ---Spoilers

Myrddin19

[21]Mar 12, 2008
    • level: 5

pantera_rosso wrote:
    5h4rp13 wrote:
    it bothered me a bit that he spent all that time with her, but not only did she never bother to mention her husband, be he never looked at her left hand? wtf?
    doctors tend to remove rings and stuff while working, risk is to big, you don't want to lose it in someones belly (er remember) and it would be a place where bacteria could stick

I'm OK with your reasoning, but I have to point out two things: first, when you take out a wedding ring there's usually a mark left behind, and two, he's a detective, for god's sake! I mean, if he had any other job... but being a detective, it's impossible that he didn't find out in the first five minutes of investigation that she was married. He only had to check her out in the police database, what he obviously did.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

JaciGug

[22]Mar 12, 2008
    Sending the vet off with a "find good help" seemed off key at first. But thinking on it, I remembered that when Omar had trouble with his booky, rather than trying to address the gambling problem John addressed the money problem. What would a perfect hero be? If he were to remain involved with the recovery of the victims of each of his cases he would be overwhelmed and unable to help those in the future. While pleasant and charming, John seems to keep a distance from most people. He was only meeting his grandson now? A watcher rather than involved, jumping in at moments of crisis. Or maybe the distance is a result of his own "soldier's heart".

Myrddin19

[23]Mar 12, 2008

JaciGug wrote:
    Sending the vet off with a "find good help" seemed off key at first. But thinking on it, I remembered that when Omar had trouble with his booky, rather than trying to address the gambling problem John addressed the money problem. What would a perfect hero be? If he were to remain involved with the recovery of the victims of each of his cases he would be overwhelmed and unable to help those in the future. While pleasant and charming, John seems to keep a distance from most people. He was only meeting his grandson now? A watcher rather than involved, jumping in at moments of crisis. Or maybe the distance is a result of his own "soldier's heart".

That's a good point, I agree on it... I'd say distance is necessary so he can keep his sanity after all those years.

kennisld

[24]Mar 12, 2008
    • level: 7
    yeah, and he's also no shrink.
    what really could he have done?

5h4rp13

[25]Mar 12, 2008
    • level: 10
    Myrddin19 wrote:

pantera_rosso wrote:
    5h4rp13 wrote:
    it bothered me a bit that he spent all that time with her, but not only did she never bother to mention her husband, be he never looked at her left hand? wtf?
    doctors tend to remove rings and stuff while working, risk is to big, you don't want to lose it in someones belly (er remember) and it would be a place where bacteria could stick

I'm OK with your reasoning, but I have to point out two things: first, when you take out a wedding ring there's usually a mark left behind, and two, he's a detective, for god's sake! I mean, if he had any other job... but being a detective, it's impossible that he didn't find out in the first five minutes of investigation that she was married. He only had to check her out in the police database, what he obviously did.

i know they do during surgery and stuff like that for those reasons, but when she was eating lunch, or doing paper work, or when they had their appointment, she couldve had it on

kathync

[26]Mar 12, 2008
    • level: 13

Maybe someone already pointed this out and I missed it (sorry if true) but didn't he say to Omar when he was telling what he'd found out about the Doc that "she lives alone"? If he had that as a fact, and not everyone wears a ring these days as much, I could see where that might be a surprise - maybe they are a long distance couple, with him working in a different city?

Myrddin19

[27]Mar 13, 2008
    kathync wrote:

Maybe someone already pointed this out and I missed it (sorry if true) but didn't he say to Omar when he was telling what he'd found out about the Doc that "she lives alone"? If he had that as a fact, and not everyone wears a ring these days as much, I could see where that might be a surprise - maybe they are a long distance couple, with him working in a different city?

You've got a point there, but I still think if he checked her out as a cop, it's logical to think that he would find out she was married, unless... maybe she and her husband are separated and starting a divorce, and she has gone to live alone away from him. Dunno, what do you think?

kathync

[28]Mar 13, 2008
    • level: 13
    True - some how it got missed along the way when he was checking her out. Maybe he was just doing the surveillance thing, which is how he came to the conclusions he did, rather than start searching through official channels (records and databases) which might have raised unwanted attention about his inquiry/interest?

Xannie

[29]Mar 13, 2008
    • level: 6

I didn't hear the part where he said she lived alone. That does make things alot more interesting again.

As for the handeling the 'vet' situation. I never said John was a shrink or could help the guy himself but someone stated his previous experience during the civil war helped him handle this case better and I just didn't agree that he did.

dtimekeeper

[30]Mar 13, 2008
    Pretty decent episode with good flashbacks. I did read about false memories during my Psychology courses. Orlando Jones' performance really stuck out in my mind, he did a really great job, evoking sympathy from the viewer.

I, for one did not see the fact that the doc was married coming . Makes things more interesting I suppose.

D-LinkUK

[31]Mar 14, 2008
    • level: 24

Loved the episode, some nice twist and turns and enjoyable viewing, I do love the flashbacks John has and the way he tells Eva ( his partner ) of his past years/life in a non sort of joking way but she takes is as a joke.

Also didn't see the whole Dr being married plot coming either.

djariya

[32]Mar 14, 2008
    • level: 19
    I'm surprised noone mentioned how hot the examination scene was. I thought Sara's glances and smiles to John while she was giving him the physicial were very sexy.

suzpsycho

[33]Mar 14, 2008
    • level: 14

I like this episode too. The flashbacks were, as everyone has said, great. The undercurrents during the 'examination' scene were great. I like the way John tells everyone things that are true; but, they think he's just yanking their chains. Little do they know.

As for the doctor being married, totally saw it coming. There is no way the producers would have allowed them to come together this early in the show. There had to be some hitch. My hubby and I were discussing it and we said "she's gotta be married or engaged" Either way, there is a snag that has to be overcome or examined.

Peregrine_Kloor

[34]Mar 14, 2008
    suzpsycho wrote:

I like this episode too. The flashbacks were, as everyone has said, great. The undercurrents during the 'examination' scene were great. I like the way John tells everyone things that are true; but, they think he's just yanking their chains. Little do they know.

As for the doctor being married, totally saw it coming. There is no way the producers would have allowed them to come together this early in the show. There had to be some hitch. My hubby and I were discussing it and we said "she's gotta be married or engaged" Either way, there is a snag that has to be overcome or examined.

It was just to good to be true

angelandspike

[35]Mar 15, 2008
    • level: 66
    Well, I don't think she's the one. That would be far too easy and quite a disappointment for me. I liked the episode, but I did think he should have asked Sara to recommend someone to help Wilcox.

krisi1021

[36]Mar 17, 2008
    • level: 11

I'm not sure if she's the one but you can't knock him for not looking for a ring when he met her in the hospital ... she's a doctor. My sister's an RN and she never wears any jewelry while in the hospital, and most doctors don't. I mean, imagine someone needs some type of immediate medical attention ... you aren't going to sit there and take all your rings off.

Anywho ... I love this show, and it seems like it's a pretty decent hit around the FOX network. I hope for it to stick around. I mean, it's a Law & Order type show, but with a romantic twist. I love it!

ronata

[38]Mar 18, 2008
    • level: 9

Can anyone please tell me what was said at the end of the episode after she revealed she was married, my download cut out then and i dont know if more was said.

Thanks

patman83

[39]Mar 22, 2008

Myrddin19 wrote:
    I liked the flashback part with Walt Whitman, but I hope this doesn't mean that all kinds of famous people from the past are going to appear in the flashbacks, that would be too unrealistic for my tastes. =.

Ummm, we ARE talking about a TV Show about an IMMORTAL. That in itself is a bit unrealistic. Hey, I'm just playin' with ya, I understand your point. We are willing to suspend disbelief, but we still expect the program to operate within it's own parameters and not allow itself to become so convoluted that you can't follow the story. New Amsterdam does an excellent job of keeping the show believable once you accept the premise of a man being immortal.

lynna12000

[40]Mar 24, 2008
    • level: 21
    Walt Whitman would have been one of the few historical figures that John could believably have met. He was not a political figure. Nor was he very wealthy. I can easily see John meeting Whitman. Couldn't see him meeting George Washington or Abraham Lincoln though. Way too high up the food chain for that.