New Amsterdam Forums

FOX (ended 2008)

So will FOX axe this one too?

Nikmi

[1]Mar 7, 2008
    • level: 9

Simple question, do you think this show will survive the FOX insanely high standarts and the love they have gotten for canceling shows after one Season?

Personally i really like this show, its nor original but the two first episodes have managed to really catch my attention, i think the story is well told. and the flashback into his past makes for a really interesting side story to what is going on.

But i have learned to be carefull with liking Shows produced by any of the MAJOR tv stations. Just like im expecting Terminator To be canceled. im expecting this to be canceled for no other reason than the Tv station the shows are running on.

What do you guys think. will the show survive the axe?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Dewbak75

[2]Mar 7, 2008
    • level: 18
    The fact that FOX gave it two post-Idol slots this week indicates they do want the show to succeed, and they're doing a decent amount of promotion for it. Plus, they didn't stick on Friday nights, which is always a good sign. With the strike causing so much havoc for pilot season, shows like New Amsterdam and Terminator might have a better chance than the would've in previous years. I'm not going to say I'm confident, but I will say I'm hopeful, maybe even optimistic. Of course, if New Amsterdam's ratings start tanking next week, all bets are off.

vendbien

[3]Mar 7, 2008
    • level: 25

Dewbak75 wrote:
    The fact that FOX gave it two post-Idol slots this week indicates they do want the show to succeed, and they're doing a decent amount of promotion for it. Plus, they didn't stick on Friday nights, which is always a good sign. With the strike causing so much havoc for pilot season, shows like New Amsterdam and Terminator might have a better chance than the would've in previous years. I'm not going to say I'm confident, but I will say I'm hopeful, maybe even optimistic. Of course, if New Amsterdam's ratings start tanking next week, all bets are off.

It may have already started to tank... in its first two hours of broadcasting, it's gone from 15mil/view, to 12.6mv, to 12m/v to 9.1mv and from first place in it's time slot during the first hour to fourth place (just barely) in its last half hour Thursday night.

Still a respectable 9 mil/view at its lowest is not bad for this genre and now it moves to a soft spot next week (at least for one week) before it starts coming up against NEW eps of 2.5 Men among others. Too soon to tell... Good Luck.

meloveall345

[4]Mar 7, 2008
    • level: 6
    i really like the show so i hope it does will

rlp218

[5]Mar 7, 2008
    • level: 2
    I hope it doesn't cancel, i like it. I hope every episope they solve a murder and then it also reveals more about his past.

Gilmorefan09

[6]Mar 7, 2008
    • level: 9
    i love the show so i hope not but its fox so im trying not to get attached but its hard.

kathync

[7]Mar 7, 2008
    • level: 13
    I've really liked it so far so hope it sticks around. And the ratings decline for the second episode may have something to do with the fact that it was up against Lost that night. Its a genre show so I don't know that it will be hugely popular but I hope it holds on to enough audiences that they'll keep it around. Guess we'll see, but I'll keep watching.

count-chocula

[8]Mar 8, 2008
    • level: 47
    This show is alright... I've seen better. I do think, however, that this will survive. Two post idol slots are good news and the ratings decline will be because of new Lost.

maaarin

[9]Mar 8, 2008
    • level: 18
    It's going up against Dancing with the Stars and Two and a half men in a couple of weeks... It won't have a proper lead-in (Canterbury's law), and when you only have 9 million people watching it after IDOL, that's not good...

It' getting the axe for sure... As well as Canterbury's law... And it's a shame for both of those shows... It's like Fox really doesn't believe in any of their mid season shows (Jezebel James, Unhitched, Amsterdam, Law... )

vendbien

[10]Mar 8, 2008
    • level: 25

maaarin wrote:
    It's going up against Dancing with the Stars and Two and a half men in a couple of weeks... It won't have a proper lead-in (Canterbury's law), and when you only have 9 million people watching it after IDOL, that's not good... It' getting the axe for sure... As well as Canterbury's law... And it's a shame for both of those shows... It's like Fox really doesn't believe in any of their mid season shows (Jezebel James, Unhitched, Amsterdam, Law... )

They're at least giving them a one or two week head start. They also know that not everything can follow Idol, but that if they can give some of these shows one or two chances against reruns or following Idol, they have their best shot at being seen by as many potential viewers as possible.

lynna12000

[11]Mar 8, 2008
    • level: 21
    I think it has a good chance of renewal. It is not unusual for people to change channels half an hour after American Idol ends. People are spending that 20-30 minutes running to the bathroom, fixing dinner/snacks and calling their friends to talk about the show.

And face it, there isn't much competition on Monday nights. Dancing w/the stars is normally on at 8pm, prime 'all ages' viewing times. Two and a half Men is ok, but it is starting to show its' age.

I refuse to give in to defeatist thinking at this stage in the game. Fox has a record of liking shows with a strong lead character, i.e. House.

House was originally NOT given good odds on succeeding when it first started. Fox gave it a chance. And look where it is now.

kathync

[13]Mar 8, 2008
    • level: 13
    I've really liked the first two episodes and am hoping they'll give it a chance for more. Next week in its regular slot may be a better indicator. The strike interrupted so many schedules, I'm not going to read too much in to stopping production when they did. Lets see how the next couple go as far as ratings - hopefully it'll hold on to what it has in terms of numbers even without Idol as a lead in.

lynna12000

[14]Mar 8, 2008
    • level: 21
    I agree. Just about all television shows stopped production in October 07.

Being launched mid-season should give New Amsterdam even beter odds of surviving. The strike would have improved the odds. Most of it's competition is re-runs.

ipodfanatic000

[15]Mar 8, 2008
    • level: 14
    Whether this series will survive will probably be deteremined after the regular series episodes start back up, now that the writers strike is over. But I like this show too.

D-LinkUK

[16]Mar 10, 2008
    • level: 24
    I do live in hope that New Amstedam succeds but i'm not counting my chickens with the track record Fox has concerning new shows.

anestaphine

[17]Mar 10, 2008
    • level: 7
    count-chocula!
    I concur!
    This show isn't blazing any new territory! It has been told several times before in different formats!

I do want it to succeed though!
    The strike actually helped its airing! For a long time, fox didn't know what to do with it!
    Its airing was always in jeopardy until the strike occurred! count-chocula?
    You're killing me and I love it!
    Something tells me blood isn't your first love!

anestaphine

[18]Mar 10, 2008
    Nikmi!

Fox doesn't have any high standards!

It has never been a matter of esoterics with fox!

They only go with the numbers and advertising money!

You know their reputation or should I say past history!
    Shows could be off the charts in cutting edge and cult followings and critic raves and if the ratings aren't there, see ya!
    Absolutely no regards or concerns for their viewers' welfare!

SG1andAhalf

[19]Mar 12, 2008
    No one knows what the studios do..........except them. And they make some pretty dumb mistakes. However, because of the writers strike (and the PCA) I have become very aware of the voice the viewers and fans have...........Write FOX (daily) and let them know what you think.

CoffeeCake225

[20]Mar 12, 2008
    • level: 15
    i like this show, but i have a feeling that FOX isn't gonna keep it for long. even one of their highest rated shows 24 is beginning to sink. i dont even think that fox is gonna last much longer as a station in general.i think they should team up with the CW putting upn and wb together didn't really do much since barley anybody watched anything on upn besides antm. i think fox should go with cw cuz i think that although they are two pretty different stations combined they would have every genre you need.