New Amsterdam Forums

FOX (ended 2008)

The links in his surnames...

odonata69

[21]Apr 16, 2008
    • level: 1
    According to babelfish, "ben waar" translates to "be true." I figured it was an artist-y sort of name/pseudonym. Like El Greco...
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Yohan88

[22]Apr 17, 2008
    • level: 10

I'm Dutch myself and i do like the link with The Netherlands or as we call it traditionaly Holland. About Benwaar it's true that this word or name is not grammarly) correct. Still i see a link to to the Dutch language. Note: If you translate Dutch words you will almost always get something weird in English although for this show things like that could be done on purpose...

About Amsterdam (the city)

not to be the one correcting you , but i know to most dutch people it's important to point out: Holland is just a part in in the west of the Netherlands! They are not the same. Amsterdam is the capital of the Netherlands and it is located in the province "North Holland", though it's not its capital!

Amsterdam is the capital of Holland. it's just not the capitol of the province (indeed North-Holland) that would be Haarlem. Also i don't know anyone here in Holland who says that thing you about the West being called Holland. When someone asks me where i'm from i can say both The Netherlands, and or Holland it's the same thing (country).

Edited on 04/17/2008 11:27am

adiav

[23]Apr 17, 2008
    • level: 8
    Little-Raven wrote:

I think there is a definite link with Holland, even though you're right the name Benwaar isn't a real Dutch surname.

There was also the name Spoor that his son Roosevelt (Rosie) took on after his mom left him (when he was the painter Dutch Amsterdam ...it showed that name in the family tree). Spoor is real Dutch name. Also in that episode they speak Dutch when he meets the old man in the wheelchair at the funeral..."de wereld krimpt" (the world is getting smaller) though that was tough to understand.

Yeah, as you said. He was listed as "Dutch" Amsterdam in his family tree. I missed the spelling on Benwaar though, I thought from the way they were saying it that it must be the French surname "Benoit", and I was wondering why the sudden French reference... thanks for clearing that up, even if it's not a real Dutch name.

Edit: Oops, as Shocker713 said as well. That'll teach me to reply without reading the whole thread.

Edited on 04/17/2008 10:13pm

lysebet

[24]Apr 27, 2008
    • level: 9

Why does John change his name all the time? I even think I heard someone call him Jack once... I'm sure it must be boring to have the same name for 400 years, is that the reason?

lysebet

[25]May 2, 2008
    • level: 9
    Anyone..? This is a quiet thread

Charlie183

[26]May 10, 2008
    • level: 17
    Yohan88 wrote:

I'm Dutch myself and i do like the link with The Netherlands or as we call it traditionaly Holland. ...

About Amsterdam (the city)

not to be the one correcting you , but i know to most dutch people it's important to point out: Holland is just a part in in the west of the Netherlands! They are not the same. Amsterdam is the capital of the Netherlands and it is located in the province "North Holland", though it's not its capital!

Amsterdam is the capital of Holland. it's just not the capitol of the province (indeed North-Holland) that would be Haarlem. Also i don't know anyone here in Holland who says that thing you about the West being called Holland. When someone asks me where i'm from i can say both The Netherlands, and or Holland it's the same thing (country).

@yohan

I'm sorry if I got that wrong.. I'm german, but last vacation we met some dutch people who were very keen on telling us, that they weren't from Holland but from the Neatherlands...they explained the difference to us like that.. and since wikipedia also explains Holland as a part of the Neatherlands ( i know that's not the best source ) .. i just thought so...

well sorry anyways...

!! have a nice weekend !!

tvismyescape22

[27]May 16, 2008
    • level: 13
    lysebet wrote:

Why does John change his name all the time? I even think I heard someone call him Jack once... I'm sure it must be boring to have the same name for 400 years, is that the reason?

Jack is a sort of nickname, shortened form of John (even though it has the same amount of letters).

momijigari

[28]May 22, 2008
    • level: 3
    lysebet wrote:

So that scientists won't put him in a lab and do creepy tests on him, is a more likely reason. Changing names/identity/birthdate is to avoid people finding out he never grows old and dies. Not that he is very careful when he talks (@ all the comments he makes about things he has done), but he has to at least somewhat protect himself from attention.