New Amsterdam Forums

FOX (ended 2008)

This show is like forever knight except he is not a vampire.

wolfdog123

[1]Mar 6, 2008
    • level: 2

He is 400 years old the same as nick knight.

He is a homicide detective the same as Nick knight.

The only real difference he is immortal by Indians.

He don't have too worry about the sun.

Edited on 03/06/2008 8:30am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

JaciGug

[2]Mar 7, 2008
    • level: 5
    I like the difference. Don't have to spend all that time in the dark, watching blood drinking at the fridge and wondering how they shave without a mirror. Lets the story get on to what would it be like to just keep living. Having to reinvent yourself because you do not age. Always having to leave or be left by the people you love. Just in our lifetime the changes in technology, attitudes and even the foods we eat have been, at times, overwhelming. What would it be like to make these adjustments for 400 years.

anestaphine

[3]Mar 10, 2008
    • level: 7
    wolfdog!
    I concur!
    I said in an earlier forum that this story has already been told before in different formats but I will still watch! I am sure there will be some detours!

anestaphine

[4]Mar 10, 2008
    JaciGug!
    Adjustments to 400 year span with technology racing toward the stratosphere?
    Mind boggling!

Good point!

SG1andAhalf

[5]Mar 12, 2008
    wolfdog123 wrote:

He is 400 years old the same as nick knight.

He is a homicide detective the same as Nick knight.

The only real difference he is immortal by Indians.

He don't have too worry about the sun.

Before I watched NA I thought this was going to be similar to Moonlight, which is a great new show on CBS and is about a vamp who is a PI. But after watching I found it to be refreshingly different. It is not dark and brooding like FK and has more twists and turns. Other than the above mentioned similarities I don't see it like FK at all. For one thing John seems to have learned a lot from his life experiences and I love that they show that. Although Moonlight is still my 'main squeeze.' I like it......
    Edited on 03/12/2008 4:50pm
    Edited 2 total times.

Peregrine_Kloor

[6]Mar 14, 2008
    • level: 6
    I think it is the best rip off that has ever been made. Good story line. Nikolaj is cute. Something to actualy on tv(writers strike sucked).

SG1andAhalf

[7]Mar 17, 2008
    Peregrine_Kloor wrote:
    I think it is the best rip off that has ever been made. Good story line. Nikolaj is cute. Something to actualy on tv(writers strike sucked).

If you are right and it is a rip off, I agree. It's the best one ever done!

tv21toons

[8]Mar 23, 2008
    • level: 1
    they should make show where the lead immortal doesn't learn to adjust to change
    or at least they start in our time
    i haven't seen moonlight yet
    is fk based off those best selling books by a woman whose name i cant remember right now
    think her last name start with an h

jwcritter

[9]Apr 22, 2008
    • level: 8
    "He was brought across in 1228, preyed on humans for their blood, now he wants to be mortal again..." Nick Knight was an 800 year old vampire tryng to make up for past crimes, a point John has reached in half the time. The series ran on CBS about a decade ago and was not based on any books. There was a movie (Nick Knight) that was essentially remade into the pilot episode (different actors, same story) of Forever Knight. While I quite enjoyed the series and own the DVDs it does not remind me of New Amsterdam. Slight resemblance to Moonlight (my favorite!) since they both take place in a demon-free reality- unlike Buffy/Angel/Blood Ties. Personally, I think all the series stand on their own merits, and along with Highlander offer a nice escape from 'reality TV'.

PutU2REM

[10]Apr 24, 2008
    • level: 10

People keep on saying New Amsterdam rips off Highlander and vampire shows, but the similarities are all superficial. Yes, it has an ancient protagonist, and yes, he's a crime fighter like most of the others, but so what? All other "immortality" shows revolve around the protagonists' anonymity, habitual violence, stoic antisociality, and/or ingratitude. (What's so unpleasant about drinking blood out of a baggy?)

But not New Amsterdam. John seems grateful for his immortality, and is just ready to move on. He makes little effort to hide the fact that he's 400, and (so far, at least) hasn't run into anyone else like him. His immortality isn't an excuse to fight, and his life has been mostly free of swords, guns, fangs, fists, and pointy bits of wood. John isn't blissfully moody, and, being sane and halfway intelligent, has found ways to have deep, satisfying relationships.

In other words, New Amsterdam is about how John has evolved over the centuries, not how many notches are on his belt or how much he relishes being miserable. Don't get me wrong, I've tried almost every "immortality" show ever made and liked almost all of them, but New Amsterdam is a whole different (but still tasty) kettle of fish.

P.S. -- Returning to New Amsterdam and Forever Knight specifically, here's another big difference: the acting in New Amsterdam doesn't suck.