New Amsterdam

Honor

Aired Monday 9:00 PM Mar 17, 2008 on FOX

• A murdered Nun leads John and Eva to a serial rapist who is killing his victims. The only women to survive wants to drop the case to avoid what you think is the ordeal of testifying, but a deeper darker secret is behind her reluctance.

Honor Killings. There is no honor in these killings. I had to go read up on the subject as in our culture just the thought of doing something like this to a loved one is horrendous and despicable. It turns out that many of the female suicide bombers in the past years are rape victims who have been persuaded that it is in their and their families best interest to kill themselves for their families honors. This is taken to the point where rapes are planned so that there may be additional girls they can used as suicide bombers. There is one recorded case where over fifty women were raped for this purpose alone.

I will leave that subject at that as I am a big believer in equal rights for women and to be honest this is very disturbing. I think the show did a wonderful job of depicting the ritual and John used his skill to get the father to confess in the end.

I was surprised at how quickly the relationship with John and Dr. Dillane progresses. I mean she is still married if not recently separated. I don't think they really showed enough of the relationship buildup to warrant two people of such moral quality and intelligence hopping into bed together so quickly. This viewpoint coming from a man who is about as far away from being a prude as possible. It will be interesting to see how the relationship develops on an intellectual plane as that is really the place John will really discover their true destiny.