New Amsterdam

Soldier's Heart

Aired Monday 9:00 PM Mar 10, 2008 on FOX

• So John has finally met Dr Sara Dillane and though some sparks flew there was no cardiac arrest.

After a homeless Gulf war vet is arrested for the murder of a psychiatrist and with the help of John confesses the police think they have there man, however the more John thinks about it the more he realises he induced the thought of the murder in the vet, he decides to look into matters further and finds himself face to face with Dr Dillane who naturally recognises him as her dead John Doe who rose from the morgue table and walked away, she wants to know more and John helps the best he can only as a way to get close to her.

On the murder front John and Eva find a manuscript of a unpublished book the dead psychiatrist had wrote only to find the evidence they need to confront the real killer ( the psychiatrists ex work colleague ) and arrest him for the murder.

John has further flashbacks of his time as a doctor in the civil war and helping a soldier who had his leg amputated only to kill himself in front of John.

The episode ended with John seeing Sara in the street only to be introduced to her husband……….. Stay tuned.

Another brilliant episode, some nice twist and turns and enjoyable viewing, I do love the flashbacks John has and the way he tells Eva ( his partner ) of his past years/life in a non sort of joking way but she takes is as a joke.
  • New amster DAMN! Whats so civil about war? Sigh- If only I could make someone's pulse race. D'oh! She's married!

Okay, this show has now officially entered the top ten of my favourite current shows. The Civil War was always one of my favourite thing to study in history. So this episode was especially interesting to me. And the fact that the writers included very accurate information only made it that much more awesome! The inclusion of Walt Whitman was genius. So for the writer who is a Civil War nut like me - I got it!! The Battle of Antiedam was a good battle to choose for the flashbacks. It was one of the better known battles. Don't get me wrong, the whole reason it was brought into this story was not lost on me. I know he remembered having a patient who had PTSD, and he didn't do much to help him with the pain that wasn't physical. So he really wanted to help the soldier who was suffering from the same affliction in current times. Loved the part where he checks his pulse when he sees the doctor. It took my breath away, it was romantic in a innocent but cheesy way. Though it's not the "finding his one true love" that interests me as much as his long life and his evolution through time, I did feel as if I had been punched in the gut much like I am sure he felt when the Dr. Sara introduces him to her wanker looking husband.

Keep it coming!! I have the episodes marked on my calendar.
  • John and Eva investigate the killing of a Psychologist by a former war hero. John gets a confession but based on some his former experiences he thinks it's pretty unlikely that the man did it and looks for another culprit.

Great episode investigating the very real PTSD many soldiers experience and a phenomenon that has occurred to soldiers since war began. I never knew or heard of the expression "Soldiers Heart" but it is a very romanticized version of the term Post Traumatic Shock Disorder. We send these young men and women into horrific situations and they are generally ill equiped to deal with the aftermath of some of the things they witness as we all would be.

Orlando Jones is wonderful as the decorated Sargent Harold Wilcox. People say we don't learn from our mistakes as a species. Maybe it would take living a number of life times to correct behavior and response problems to stress and life in general. This is one of the advantages John has to many of the problems of today. In some way he can look back and relate an experience to one he has had before.

It was interesting how they pieced together the identity of the real perpetrator in the Psychologist murder. The fact that it was colleague in the end was not a big surprise but it shows you the lengths people will go to protect themselves and their reputations.

So far this show has showed a very even well written quality and it is very difficult to understand why there was no interest in the program. Maybe it isn't action packed or gruesome enough for today's viewer as I have found a lot of the program to be cerebral in nature. Thanks for reading...
  • The show continues to become stronger and great viewing

Another fantastic episode of New Amsterdam, if this continues like this then i know it will become one of the best things on tv this year. As seems the format for this year show the episode was divided into a few storylines:
    1. The main police case Amsterdam has to solve
    2. The flashback story of Amsterdam
    3. Amsterdam's quest to find his one love and be with her

I think i felt the last previous 2 episodes were a little off pace, the story didnt seem to flow as well as it should of been. However episode three got it right, weaving in Amsterdam's flashbacks with the current story whilst at the same time furthering his quest to get to his one true love. Fantastic ending to the this episode, the start of this series i wondered how Amsterdam will chase this girl thoughout the season and what obstacles he will face and we found out obstacle one, the husband
  • good episode...

I liked this episode, but I have some problems with the flashbacks. It seems to me that they're not utilizing his past experiences enough. The flashbacks are very choppy and very short and they never really reveal much information. I mean, this one was just about a kid that he had to cut off his leg that finally killed himself because of soldier's heart. Ya, that had to do with the murder story, but they just didn't utilize it well. I've seen other shows use flashbacks different ways and some work, some don't. Right now, I this these don't work. We'll see how that turns out. Anyways, the story was pretty good. A doctor was murdered and the main suspect was a crazy vet. In the end, it was her old partner that killed her. John starts talking/flirting with "the one." Overall, a good episode.