New Girl

Bells

Aired Tuesday 9:00 PM Nov 29, 2011 on FOX

7.8
  • Winston takes over Jess' team of teenage bell-players and Nick and Schmidt have different ideas on how to fix a toilet.

This was the first episode I watched of this show, unfortunately. Unfortunately because I saw the trailers for this and got excited for I love Zooey Deschanel. Jess takes over a small group of troubled teens who "chose music over morning detention". They start playing bells in the apartment and Winston surprises everybody when he shows them he knows how to play as well. He takes over the group and inspires the team to practice and work in order to play Eye of the Tiger. Then, he gets a little carried away. As he gets fired from his job, he gets booted from bells captain when he starts "being mean" according to Jess. Meanwhile, Nick has had a tradition of fixing things his own way, which is starting to upset Schmidt. They get into an argument. Schmidt tells Nick he can't use any of the stuff he bought so Nick puts it all, including the freezer and couch, in his bedroom. It results in Schmidt calling Nick a loser after he dropped out of college which finally opens Schmidt's eyes about how stupid they are fighting like this. The two guys reunite at the bells concert, which Winston is invited back to help on, and "Ensembells" performs a crappy but happy rendition of Eye of the Tiger. I really liked this episode. If only they had been using more exciting instruments, this episode would be more exciting and likable.
  • Bells

Bells was a great episode of New Girl and I really enjoyed watching this episode because it had some good humor, and it was cool watching Winston play the bells. Jess was funny as ever and it was great watching her try to help the kids and Winston to realize more about life and what really matters. There was character development for all and it was fun watching Schmidt and Nick battle over their difference of opinion and financial backgrounds. This is a great show and I look forward to watching the next episode!!!!!

• Winston becomes a natural at playing the bells in Jess' handbell quartet

Jess gets jealous when Winston joins her troubled-youth handbell quartet and instantly becomes a natural. Meanwhile Nick and Schmidt engage in class warfare when the toilet breaks and they each have their own idea of how to get it fixed. Although this episode isn't one of my favorites but it was very enjoyable with a lot of parts that made me laugh. Winston playing the bells and being very good at it was very cool to see and enjoyable to hear. Winston playing the song "Eye of the Tiger" with the bells was very cool. Although, I did find Winston to be a little bit out of character... I did find it hilarious when he was insulting the kids about their skills at playing the bells and then he tells that one guy "And you... you actually didn't make me want to throw up" and then the guy responding "Oh cool" was funny. Nick and Schmidt fighting over their own opinions such as hiring a plumber and much more was hilarious to see. A lot of parts in this episode really made me laugh very hard. The ending with Winston coming back to Jess' handbell quartet after learning an important life lesson about not thinking about himself and playing "Eye of the Tiger" with the bells was enjoyable as well. Overall, an excellent episode of "New Girl". 9.5/10