A New Girl Community
Tuesday 8:30 PM on FOX

Fox has decided to take some of the mystery out of guessing which of its shows will be back next season by announcing early four early renewals for comedies New Girl (returning for Season 4), The Mindy Project (returning for Season 3), and Brooklyn Nine-Nine (returning for Season 2), as well as the Kevin Bacon-fronted serial-killer drama The Following (returning for Season 3). 

New Girl's renewal is probably the least surprising of the bunch; Fox clearly wants it to stick around, and even awarded the comedy half of this year's coveted post-Super Bowl slot. Despite a rather disappointing start to Season 3 and a continued unevenness, the show still has its moments and earns relatively decent ratings. Meanwhile, it's time-slot partner Brooklyn Nine-Nine just won a Golden Globe (as did B99 star Andy Samberg), which probably didn't directly translate to a renewal, but certainly didn't hurt the show's chances. Also I think this .GIF speaks for itself:

As for The Mindy Project, that one's a wonderful surprise. It was not a foregone conclusion that the series would return for a third season, especially since it's taking a good chunk of time off at the moment. But now that Danny and Mindy have smooched, and the season finale is titled “Danny and Mindy," I can't wait to see where the series will take those two obviously-made-for-each-other kids when the series returns with back-to-back episodes on April 1.

Oh, and the The Following, hmmm, well, that show will return for Season 3, and it stars Kevin Bacon and I guess a lot of people like Kevin Bacon? 

Elsewhere, Fox has already renewed Glee for Season 6Bones for Season 10, and Sleepy Hollow for Season 2. There's still no word on the future of Dads, EnlistedAlmost Human, Rake, or Raising Hope.

thekaitling:list:which-renewal-are-you-most-excited-about/

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 5/10/2016

Season 5 : Episode 22

119 Comments
Comments (119)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I'm happy about Mindy and surprisingly indifferent about New Girl. I just found this season to be not good and Mindy to be hilarious. I think Mindy has an underground following like on social media and such and it's good for FOX to have diversity in its lead characters, an indian woman as a lead sure is good for their image. It's good writing and really smart and witty humor. This season defintely was on point. Hope the next is even better with huge guest stars again, it's great.
Flag
What about "About a Boy?"
Flag
My apologies if this has already been posted, but when FOX gave Dads it's "back 9", they also guaranteed it a second season.
Flag
That Almost Human is going to be like CBS' Intelligence, that's the problem.
Flag
The problem with both of those shows is they are shitty procedural, MoTW style shows, that take no risk, are boring, and highly illogical.
Flag
Both Almost Human and Intelligence should be completely axed together!
Flag
Enlisted should be the better choice to get renewed than Dads.

I know Raising Hope and Enlisted are not doing well on Friday nights, but it has been revealed that Raising Hope is officially cancelled. But I am probable that Enlisted would get renewed because it does not fit with Raising Hope. Enlisted fits well with Brooklyn Nine-Nine, so both shows will move to a new night. Dads will also get cancelled, that I can predict.

Flag
New Girl...seriously after this terrible season...with all these new characters to keep the show going...bad mistake...don't get me wrong...loveD new girl a lot the first two seasons...but now it is just weird..the only fun person in it is Winston and Schmidt...

The following i am really happy about...!!
Flag
Sorry, but I have to say none of the above. I'll wait for more news before starting to go giddy.
Flag
I honestly don't see what people have against The Following I find it to be quite enjoyable. I watch it every week and enjoy the little twists and turns the show takes.
Also happy that Brooklyn and Mindy was picked up...don't know how I feel about New Girl though. I loved the show, but now it just seems to be going down the rabbit hole.
Flag
I don't watch any of these shows. I have tried to watch The Following on multiple occasions but it was bad so I gave up.
Flag
I don't know exactly why, but The Following being included in that renewal list feels like a giant slap in the face to me. In my opinion, it has so far done nothing quality- and ratings-wise to earn an early renewal - it hasn't cracked 2.0 since its timeslot premiere and while has shown some stability, hasn't shown an increase either. Me thinks that Fox is expecting a big bounce with Bones leading it in, in the coming weeks. Seriously, between this and Glee's double season renewal, Fox are overestimating and underestimating their shows. They must be smoking something...

The renewed shows do have their work cut out for them, with New Girl and Mindy Project inching towards syndication numbers, Brooklyn 99 having awards, and Following having some kind of agreement between Fox and Kevin Williamson. But there's also no denying the network nepotism and black sheep-ing, which I find most distasteful.

Like many others, I'm rooting for Almost Human to pull through. Even when the odds have been stacked against it, it's still done admirably and refused to go just fade away. The only thing that truly stands in the way of its renewal is how TPTB feel about it - I'm with Joe Adalian on this. If this wonderful show gets cancelled, MAY FOX ALWAYS BE REMEMBERED FOR FIREFLY. And even if they say that the show was too expensive to renew, the least that they could've done was to show it the way it was meant to be shown. Fox could learn a thing or two about giving shows their dignity. It's hard enough to accept and see a blatant lack of faith in a show, messing with it is just rubbing salt on the wound. It would be nice though if AH can continue in another format or something if a renewal is lost.
More+
Flag
I really don't understand how The Following even has viewers let alone how it's made it into Season 3. Kevin Bacon is a fine actor but he can't disguise the stupidity and absurdity that is The Following.
As far as all those that say "but people just don't like it because of the gore" - let me stop you right there - the gore has nothing to do with it! Hannibal pushes the envelope with its cable-level gore and often also glorifies murder like The Following. However, it has respect for the viewer and does it to serve the story. While The Following constantly insults the viewers intelligence, Hannibal stimulates it, encouraging the viewer to think instead of shout obscenities at the TV.

But even if I didn't compare to any other show currently on air or otherwise, in my opinion there is nothing that makes The Following good television and it should've been axed back in Season 1.
The fact that it's getting to live into Season 3 is very disappointing. It sends the message that stupidity wins over uniqueness and that really sucks. Also, as a non-american, I think that The Following and it's renewal sends the wrong message about American viewers in general. Most U.S. viewers have a functioning brain but if you were to go by the message that this show sends, you'd think otherwise. Sigh.
More+
Flag
mindy! happy bout it cuz i was almost sure it'd get cancelled!...
Flag
I like 'the Mindy project' so I'm happy that will be back as for 'new girl' i've completely gone off it, i try to watch but I just have no interest. I'd like to see 'Raising Hope' such an underrated show and 'Almost Human' which I love come back for more seasons.
Flag
I bet you if his name was Kevin Brusselsprout it would be a different story. :P
Flag
Raising Hope is funnier than all 4 of these (although it barely beats out "The Following")
Flag
I think Fox might actually give Almost Human another season of 13.

Maybe its just me thinking wishfully, but lately Fox seems to be handling its science fiction with kid gloves. (Perhaps they learned from Firefly?). They renewed Fringe repeatedly when ratings were VERY iffy. And they gave Fringe enough warning to craft a real ending when they did pull the plug. Plus, they haven't meddled in Almost Human as much as they usually do (beyond the strange episode re-ordering.)
Flag
Sorry but to say that "they haven't meddled" with AH is kind of absurd. They delayed the series premiere. Then they showed the first 9 episodes out of order, messing up the whole narrative. They also didn't order a back nine, so the show ended on a Midseason finale. I would call that massacring a show!
Flag
I agree with you that they messed up AH. I said that they hadn't meddled "as much as they usually do".

Fox ALWAYS meddles much more than other networks. In the past, they have interfered with the actual writing of shows by adding characters, changing relationships, and messing with storylines. I think messing with the writing counts as much worse meddling.
Flag
That's true but unfortunately they also meddled with the writing as well. J.H. Wyman wanted to include arcs throughout but they wanted strictly procedural.
Flag
I didn't know that. OK, nevermind. Fox is as bad as ever.
Flag
Nice to see that buzz word "bullish" actually meant something, with Reign and the originals also getting renewed. Just waiting on parks and rec and community that round out the shows execs were "bullish" on (that I actually care about.

Flag
Go Brooklyn Nine-Nine. Great to see this one return, looking forward to more Peralta-Holt-Santiago-Boyle-Terry-Rosa-Gina. This show rocks! :-)
Flag
Damn you, Fox! Renew Almost Human! NOW!
Flag
The Wallowing in Space coming to a tv near you LOL
Flag
Where does TV.com find their writers? "hmm I guess people a lot of people like Kevin Bacon", implying the show is bad. Chances are she's never watched it, or is grossed out by blood,
Flag
It's just not a good show.
Flag
No, it's just that there are quite a few people who find the show, to be blunt, stupid lol not to mention that there are even more people who felt the show should've gone in a different direction. For many, The Following had potential, potential in which it didn't live up to, and that's why the show is struggling to keep a solid 5 million viewers now.
Flag
I have to agree with patrickAllen about the writers. Well I agree with your assesment of The Following, there is a lot of times where the writers do insult or imply they don't like shows that they sometimes admit to not watching.
Flag
I don't watch any of those shows. I wish they'd tell us if Almost Human is renewed or cancelled :(
Flag
Amen sister
Flag
Glad to hear about New Girl and B99, but couldn't care less about Mindy or the crapfest known as The Following!!!
Flag
Please renew Dads, and Almost Human! :( (SOL)
Flag
Nobody wants Dads. The death of Almost Human would be a shame, though.
Flag
I'm really excited about Brooklyn Nine-Nine, seriously, it's show I'm most looking forward on Tuesday.
I clearly don't want New Girl to end, but man this season has been unneven, may be next season will be different, I don't know, I just don't want more sisters that we never heard of before or that kind of crap (at this point I'm got used to have Coach around).
Yay The Mindy Project!
The Following, really?
Flag
I like Kevin Bacon, but The Following? Seriously? If they're that desparate, they should make some more Fringe episodes. Now THAT I would watch!
Flag
Me too! Or This!
Flag
If only you had about 10 million friends to watch with you.
Flag
Great for the renewals already but I hope Almost Human joins that list some point soon.
Flag
Americans sure love them some bacon :)
Flag
Thank you Fox for this 4 comedies renewal. Wait, The Following is still a comedy right?
Flag
Following is the drama. New Girl, The Mindy Project and Brooklyn-Nine Nine are comedies. Enlisted is a comedies that needs to get renewed because it fits well with Brooklyn-Nine Nine.
Flag
Yes it is. ;)
Flag
Yay for The Following and Brooklyn Nine Nine. Now renew Almost Human and Enlisted! :)

Flag
Yay for the Mindy Project!
Flag
I don't really care for The Mindy Show or New Girl, especially Mindy sucks. Good for The Following, although that show it a little annoying at the same time it's entertaining.
Flag
Following is the only one worth a comment!
Flag
Yay, Mindy Project! Great news!
Flag
I'm so happy to see how few people voted for zooey deschanel in ironic glasses plays zooey deschanel in ironic glasses and how many voted for brooklyn nine nine.

while mi madre thinks B99 is the best comedy on tv I still feels it has some catching up to community to do. but would on average probably rank it second.

the mindy project isn't as strong as it was its first season IMO as it seems to have lost a fair a mount of wit only to be replaced with sexual humor and other low hanging fruit, but it at least makes for an okay character driven comedy.

I don't suppose the following pulled a revolution and made a complete turnaround? I quit early in the first season and would not likely be back unless the people responsible for the first season admitted it was garbage and implored me to give it another shot.
Flag
Even though it is not among the best shows i Watch The Following is the show i am most excited of these to return. It is also the only one of these shows i Watch. But if Fox wants to make me excited about their renewals, they will renew Almost Human and Raising Hope.
Flag
I dont care what you say Im happy The Following will be back
Flag
Make the right choice Fox and renew Almost Human!
Flag
Alright... Following haters... get ready.... get set.... GO!!
Flag
Most notably, my wife and I watched the series finale of Human Target last night--which we'd already seen, of course--and she pointed out, "Gee, Fox is stupid, that was a great show." All of which this news confirms. Oh for four--might as well renew Rake, that certainly sucks as bad as the rest of this crap.
Flag
I loved Human Target at the start, but it suffered from FoxExecutiveItis. It's a tragic disease that happens when Fox tries to fix low ratings by having business executives "fix" a show armed with demographic research, Nielsen reports, and a complete lack of artistic ability. (See also: Lie to Me).

Seriously, it was painfully obvious that execs worried the show had poor female viewership. So their management committee shoehorned in some female characters and a love interest - even though it fit poorly with the established tone and characters of the show.

"The research department shows 83% of women like sexual tension! Let's put that in."
"Capital idea Jenkins!"
"Ooh, and designer clothing, 67% of ladies like clothing!"
"Excellent, I'll inform the writers that we've fixed their scripts! Now, let's move on to the next agenda item: last quarter's earnings."
Flag
Actually the upgrade was fine. Indira Varma and Janet Montgomery were great additions. Unfortunately not many were watching both, before and after because Fox didn't promote the show at all. Probably too expensive to make, just like Chaos--which was also great (CBS). Human Target had great cast chemistry, and if properly promoted, would've caught on. But these Fox people have no idea what they're doing. If it's too expensive, why make it in the first place. As for Lie to Me, the show got stupid rather quickly as the writing went downhill. The last of it was rather painful to watch.
Flag
To me, the romance story lines in both shows felt manufactured -- out of sync with the characters, tone and stories we had in prior episodes.

(Although I agree that the character of Ames was a fine addition.)
Flag
I really liked Human Target, and was sad to see it end. Few shows like that really anymore.
Flag
You know, I've showed this show to many people who never saw it when it was on, and they all loved it. All you have to do is watch stuff to see if it's good. Fox should watch the four shows they are renewing. Ah, but that would be too easy. Stupid is better these days, I guess
Flag
Happy the Mindy project is going to be back cuz it has improved ALOT since S01, I stopped watching B99 but I will eventually catch up over the summer and from what I can tell its pretty good.

I am however indifferent to New Girl's renewal. I loved S02 but this season has been soo boring! Idk, for me it started with the Schmidt love triangle thing which lasted to long and then Winston got that cat and now Coach is around and it seems like the writers don't know what to do with anyone anymore. So I HOPE they will fix it up next year cuz as things are going right now I honestly wouldn't be too upset if they canceled it.

For the other shows, I kind of want Raising Hope to be renewed but I wouldn't be too hurt if it got canned
Flag
The 3 (I use this term loosely) sitcoms and 3 of the worst and least funny shows that have ever invaded television. The Following was just ok during the first, but now they are going to stretch the story out for another 15 episodes, good grief, glad I gave up on it. "Almost Human" is the only show that needs to be renewed, "Rake" I watch, but don't care either way and "Raising Hope" is no longer about her and it has become one of the lowest rated shows on television, doing even worse than most of The CW.
Flag
I couldn't agree more. Raising Hope jumped a lotta sharks in the past 2 years. Love Martha and Garrett, but this show still sucks. Too bad Greg Garcia can't do much past one season
Flag
Bah to those!
Flag
I will probably get some backlash for this, I hope Dads get renewed. LOL. I really hope Almost Human does too. I kinda want Enlisted too but can take or leave it
Flag
Also hope Rake is renewed
Flag
I hate the Following so much, yet i watch it weekly....
Flag
You are a terrible masochist and probably enjoy driving by train wrecks. Thats okay though, at least you're open about your weird interests. Personally, I can't wait to see how much more ridiculous this show can get with a third season!
Flag
ha! you know me well as a bluth would say, MARRY ME:)
Flag
Yay Mindy Project!! I also love Brooklyn Nine-Nine, but I was pretty sure that was coming back. Was really worried about Mindy, so I'm glad to see it renewed.

I'd pretty much written off the Following, as this season has somehow been even more unbearable than the first, but then that last episode was so bat-shit crazy, that I kinda need to see where it's going. So bravo for that Mr. Bacon
Flag
I'm only interested in seeing Almost Human renewed
Flag
I don't watch any of them anymore. I honestly can not understand why any show on any MAJOR network would be renewed if getting under 5 million viewers regardless of "demo". None of these have.
Flag
Fox has decided to make executive decisions while collectively huffing paint, eh? The Mindy Project and The Following are both trending down and earn bad buzz (and not much of it, anymore), that was an odd choice.

I highly doubt Enlisted or Rake get re-upped, Almost Human probably is on the bubble at this point since its had only tepid response and is kinda pricey, Dads is one where nothing has made sense yet so I won't expect much, and how does Raising Hope keep getting renewed year after year on FOX?!?
Flag
Almost Human hasn't been amazing, but its hard to think of many shows better on FOX as of late. They don't exactly have many scripted shows to draw from that aren't half-hour comedies anyways.
Flag
Fox is rarely about the quality of a show, look at their current bread and butter over the last 10 years, lots of junk. It's about how popular it is in the ratings vs. how expensive it is to produce, and on occasion they'll take a risk with a show that they believe in but that too is regardless of quality.
Flag
Although I haven't seen the last 2 seasons of Raising Hope, I want that show to stick around forever!
Flag
Honestly, it's not about "Raising Hope" anymore, it's about Burt and Virginia. The show has lost its' charm with Jimmy and "Sabriner" becoming secondary supporting characters. Hope should be talking by now, but, oddly, they have disallowed her from doing so. Look at Disney's Good Luck Charlie's "Charlie" character being so much better. She's had, what, two lines since she's been on? The "Introducing Cloris Leachman" credit started in the second season is, by now, stupid. It has its moments, but needs to end unless they refocus the show.

Why would you say that not having seen the last TWO seasons???
Flag
" Hope should be talking by now,"

Hope has been talking for two seasons now. Perhaps you've confused her with Maggie Simpson.
Flag
I just love the show so much, all those characters, but just got behind and never caught myself up. The show deserves success is what I think I'm trying to say.
Flag
When you get the chance, do watch more episodes and you'll likely see how it's changed. I even thought the show should be retitled "Raising Jimmy" due to so many flashbacks of Burt and Virginia raising him. The characters are fine, it's just that the show seems more inconsistent and unfocused than it already was. There is an episode where Virginia finds out she needs new eyeglasses, but she has not worn them since. The show does bounce back, as in the recent Christmas episode based on The Grinch that was kind of fun, but had an obviously dumb ending involving a problem plugging in the tree lights. I guess I wish the show was smarter and more clever and that it maintained established precedents for its characters and history, but the producers / writers seem to just want them in one silly situation or another without thought given to what has gone before. Plus, there really is nothing going on with Hope herself anymore. It would be nice to bring the focus back on her and have her talking and more involved. I'm not sure the girl they cast has any acting ability. Another change is that "Maw Maw" is not as senile as she was in the beginning, but that may be a good thing.
More +
Flag
The extended cast of recurring characters is a huge part of its charm and what got me so hooked to begin with, but so much of that has been lost as of late. I wouldn't call it the Burt and Virginia show entirely, but its not exactly a huge stretch from the truth either.
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members