New Girl

Cooler

Aired Tuesday 9:00 PM Jan 29, 2013 on FOX

• PRETTY SWEET ENDING.

This episode was as eccentric as usual. I didn't love Brooklyn Decker intruding on what turned out to be a milestone ep, I'm not really into Schmidt's sexual exploits, and I find their presidential drinking game more bizarre than hilarious. I also found Jess a little too weird at times in this ep - making a faux Nick out of a melon and setting up a pillow fort to hide from what was obviously a dog. However, flaws aside, there were some very funny, and very heartwarming moments in this ep. At first it seems to be about Schmidt and Nick competing for Brooklyn Decker's impossibly shallow character, until Jess calls for help and Nick rushes home. Or is it about Winston pretending to seduce an engaged girl? No, it's about Winston ACTUALLY seducing a girl who's PRETENDING to be engaged. CeCe arrives with her date around the same time Jess's boyfriend Sam arrives, also in response to Jess's call for help. For a while, 6 potential hook-ups are hanging in the balance, and we're not sure who will end up with whom. Nick gallantly avoids kissing Jess as a result of a dare, protesting "not like this!" which piques Jess's interest. Schmidt disappears with the barfly, CeCe departs with her date, Winston goes off with Daisy and Jess takes Sam to her room, leaving Nick all alone. He laughs and shrugs, as if to acknowledge the inevitability of the moment. Poor, unsuccessful Nick, with no money, an unpublished zombie manuscript and a woman's trench coat. But then a dog scratches at the door. In a moment of serendipity, he find himself alone with Jess in the hallway and seizes his chance. Jess is stunned, and so are we. We've finally found something that Nick is really, really good at.