New Girl Forums

Tuesday 9:00 PM on FOXBetween Seasons

This show is...

angeland8

[21]Oct 1, 2011
    • level: 10
    I don't get it. At all. What is supposed to be funny? Why is Zooey supposed to be likable? It's just bad, sorry.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

capncatch

[22]Oct 2, 2011
    • level: 5

I like it; maybe because I watched it after Whitney, which is truly terrible and the lack of canned laughter makes it more watchable, but the roommates remind me of the three guys on It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia and that's a good thing. Character development? Really? By show 2, who cares why they bonded? The first show was pretty funny, the second not so much but still enjoyable. It was a mistake not to re-shoot the pilot though. And I like Hannah Simone too. Now if we can just see more of Jess' friends.

sshan39

[23]Oct 6, 2011
    • level: 7
    wow i gave it a secon chance with the next ep and it is even worse. So awful! How did this get picked up and they are saying its great online? I cant beleive it! Well i am out. There are enough good shows for me to watch.

hell693

[24]Oct 7, 2011
    • level: 11
    the show sucked in the first two episodes but the third episode was actually funny and i think they will improve by the episode at least i hope it gets better and better.

irehawk20

[25]Oct 7, 2011
    • level: 9

The next episode airs in this November of 2011.

babelak

[26]Oct 7, 2011
    • level: 12

This show is great. Frankly can't stomach about 70% of current sitcoms, they mostly seem to be clinging to an outdated formula and this feels more naturalistic and comfortable in it's silliness. Frankly I think if more people wore wonky false teeth and did a slow motion birdie dance to Phil Collins' Groovy Kind Of Love, the world would be a better place. There, I said it.

dgs1999

[27]Oct 16, 2011
    • level: 3

.... a misfire"

I wanted to like it because I think Zooey's humor is right on target for this sitcom. I think she is great here but .....

Most of the rest of the cast is extremely poor casting. I hate all the guys in this show, they are all pathetic,

they are poor actors and their lines are either stupid or macho or very stupid....take your choice.

Just watch a clip of Schmidt in the bar, he can't deliver his lines without sticking his chin out as if to stab the person with it,

like ..."this is acting" ?

Zooey Deschanel does okay and gives me a few laughs in this show and her girl friend model does a good job but

for a sitcom to survive the actors must have a likeable personality and not one of the guys have that.

KyahCA

[28]Oct 16, 2011
    • level: 6
    I agree that this show is very cheesy, and the dialogue makes me cringe, but some parts I do enjoy, and it does seem to get better in each episode (at least lets hope).

Leesidge

[29]Jan 8, 2012
    • level: 6

It's not that bad. There are sitcoms out there that should be cancelled and never be revived, but this one, after the first couple of episodes you get into the grove of it and its not that bad. Each character has itsendearingqualities such as Winston: being perfect at everything, Coach's inability to talk to women, Jess: adorkable qualities, Schmidt's "women adore me" persona and Nick's grouchyness, but they all mesh well together. Yes they have a way to go to develop the characters fully but overall the show isn't bad. Now I know some people might think that Schmidt is a bitoverbearing and he is, but the other qualities he has makes his character well rounded, hes thoughtful, sensitive and has a good sense of humor.

I can't wait for more episodes.

drlowdon

[30]Jan 18, 2012
    • level: 8

For me the first two episodes were OK and as with all sit-coms it will need time to fully develop so I wil certainly stick with it a while longer. Besidesit is hard to get bored of anything starringthe lovely Zooey Deschanel.

pudgebyrd722

[31]Apr 26, 2012
    • level: 51
    Wow if everybody would of stuck around we'd have a busy board. The show has improved so much and I don't see why some were criticizing the first few episodes.

drudager

[32]Apr 26, 2012
    • level: 13
    I think the problem is this show isn't a family sitcom or full of married people, or some constant bf/gf hook up thing, or people aren't singing or dancing in a competition. In other words, it's young people being witty & quirky, which drives some people batty up the wall. I don't think people like watching other people have more fun than themselves do. It's why nobody watches Community or Happy Endings either.

irehawk20

[33]May 16, 2012
    • level: 9

This is a young adult show rather than a family show because of sex, vulgar, dialogue and some violence. It would be better if they include Winston's girlfriend to join the cast of this show.

Gilda

[34]Jun 2, 2012
    • level: 4

well after watching the first season i saw that the episodes would fluctuate b/w being really funny (The Landlord, Bad in Bed) to being either not funny (Bells) or just too akward. I think what would help this show would be if they had more episodes that had the four roomates spending more time with eachother. I found that the episodes that wernt as strong were the ones where each character had a separate storyline, which would cause their individual stories to be weak. Having two separate story lines is goodbut when it turns into three or four then they dont have enough time within the 20 minutes.Plus i think that its important to at leastuse the first couple of seasons of shows to build up character development and friendships with eachother. Idk i think ill still watch next year. And idk I liked the Pilot i thought it was pretty funny.

drudager

[35]Jun 5, 2012
    pudgebyrd722 wrote:
    Wow if everybody would of stuck around we'd have a busy board. The show has improved so much and I don't see why some were criticizing the first few episodes.

It did start off kind of slow. The T-shirt thing at the house just dragged on forever.

drudager

[36]Jun 5, 2012
    Gilda wrote:

to being either not funny (Bells) .

Well, they had to do that to build Jess' character & show she's one of them overly lame caring types. Sometimes it's annoying & we just have to deal with it. Nobody bats 1.000, that's for sure.

drlowdon

[37]Jun 13, 2012

I will always judge a sitcom on whether or not it is funny and after watching the first six or seven episodes I did just not find New Girl that funny. It has nothing to do with it being 'quirky', I love Community, Scrubs and shows like Peep Show in the UK. I think the biggest problem for me is thatit doesn't offer anything I haven't seen before.

SweetMissJaye

[38]Jul 8, 2012
    • level: 21

I admit that when I originally saw the promos for New Girl in the fall, I thought that the show looked like crap. My best friend, however, gave it a chance and she ended up loving it. I didn't even watch a single episode of the show until the first season had already concluded. I didn't like the first 3 or 4 episodes but the show got much better. What bothers me the most is when they get too sappy, like when they sing together, or the stupid dance off. But I think the good outweighs the bad and I will give season 2 a chance.

Romano338

[39]Jul 15, 2014
    I think it's a decent to good show. At first I wasn't sure at all, but you get attached to these characters.
    It went wrong in season 2 (I won't spoil) because it went the usual road, while this show was a bit different than the other classic sitcoms.

It's not the sitcom of the decade, but it's a decent show to me