New Girl

Naked

Aired Tuesday 9:00 PM Nov 01, 2011 on FOX

• laugh out loud funny

Schmidt is quickly becoming the funniest with him trying to peep at Nick. CeCe is adorable advising Jess.
  • Mr Tare

hey guys and ladies i need to know the title of the song that nick was dancing with. i can't find it on you tube i think the title is close to this phrase "zumbuzumbu buzum buze" tnxs in advance.
  • Love it

So Jess walks in on Nick when he's dancing naked, but thats part of the charm of the show. Nick's avoidence in wanting to talk about it and Jess's insistance in talking about it. I loved the "feeling stick" part - where Nick casually walks over and breaks it, Jess whips out "travel size" much to Nick's horror.

I liked the part where Nick was talks about rules and knocking on doors and Jess holds up the "feeling stick", he just dismisses her, then Winston and Schmidt both use the "feeling stick" again to Nick's horror.

It's taken a while but the chemistry between the characters is coming together and you can see the chemistry between Nick and Jess starting to shine.
  • Jess sees Nick naked.

I don't care how simplistic and formulaic the plots of New Girl tend to be; if a show has funny writing with jokes that land, I can overlook plots that tend to be overused. "Naked" is one of those plots that has happened in a majority of sitcoms, sometimes early on and sometimes later. The show even attempts to find the same solution to the problem by making guy/girl who saw the other guy/girl naked show them theirprivate parts, but thankfully, the show does some different things with it.

The best part about the show (to me) is how the writing is starting to get tighter and tighter, moving at a faster pace and relying on some more successful cutaways compared to earlier episodes. I loved the way Winston was watching The King's Speech and The Human Centipede at the same time, two movies that couldn't be further apart. Jess' feeling stick was used to good effect too, popping up in random places until Winston and Schmidt use it as a means to speak their heart about what they feel.

The major plot itself was a bit bland (Jess sees Nick naked) but the way it lead into Nick having problems with his new friend (played by Lake Bell) was pretty good. It also gave Schmidt a chance to have some more funny scenes... he feels jealous that he's the only one of the group to have never seen Nick's penis. It's odd, and I've seen it in shows before, but the characters are starting to mesh which makes it more enjoyable.

I thought the whole "Jess can't say penis" was a weird sort of play on her character in 500 Days of Summer. The multiple times she tries to say it and fails was really great; it reminded me of a scene from Parks and Recreation where they repeat the same joke with a different punchline over and over.

Overall, this episode kept me interested in New Girl. I hate how Fox kept the show off the air for so long, but I guess that's what happens with baseball. But at least the show is back.

• Jess accidentally sees Nick naked when she walks in his room

Nick suffers a blow to his self-esteem when Jess walks in on him naked, before his date with his coworker. Meanwhile, Winston gets obsessed with learning pop-culture references online. I thought that this was an excellent episode of "New Girl". It was definitely hilarious all the way through. I couldn't stop laughing at this episode and all the humor in this episode were just perfect. Another reason to look forward to Tuesday Night is because of "New Girl". This is one show I always look forward to watching every Tuesday night because of all the laughs they bring us. Jess walking in Nick's room and accidentally seeing him naked with Jess laughing and screaming at the same time was very funny. Winston's part in this episode was hilarious as well. Jess's line "I saw Nick's pepe and his bubbles". All of the lines that Jess and Nick were saying are so dirty but so hilarious. Jess finally being able to say "penis" towards the end of the episode was funny. The very ending of the episode made me laugh hard as well. Overall, an excellent episode of "New Girl" that any fan will enjoy... I am loving this show. 10/10

• What obligation do single-camera sitcoms have to jettisoning the tropes and conventions established by their multi-camera counterparts?

Do we even want them to do away with such things? ABC's current crop of single-camera shows does a good job of keeping the basic core of a multi-camera sitcom—The Middle is traditional, tumultuous family fare in the vein of Everybody Loves Raymond; Happy Endings could finally be the Friends clone that's better than Friends—while the NBC Thursday-night lineup and Raising Hope are so grounded in a love for the sitcoms of yore, they treat them as sacred texts. There's nothing inherently wrong with the multi-camera format, it's just that the shows that have sent writers, directors, and actors scrambling to projects not taped before a studio audience were so deeply entrenched in revisiting the same plot devices and lazy, uninspired relationships. And so it's odd that the single-camera sitcom hasn't gone all punk-rock on dismantle the traditions of what came before.

New Girl doesn't quite know how to function as a single-camera show, so it's certainly not going to be the one to break all the old formulas and rules. Still, it's a bit of a red flag for the show to turn to the hoary "roommate catches other roommate in the nude" trope by its fourth episode. Thankfully, it avoids the "balance of power" scenario identified by Abed in Community's "Communications Studies," instead using the scenario of Jess encountering a naked Nick to delve into a pair of character-based issues: Jess' inability to say the word "penis," and Schmidt needing to prove his friendship with his roommate by seeing Nick's dick. It's a new twist to the trope, one that address a weirdly regressive aspect of Jess' character, as well as what is probably a wrongheadedly progressive notion of Schmidt's.

In a television season where empowered female characters have so frequently been the topic of conversation, I haven't read much about New Girl's tendency to portray Jess as a vintage thread-wrapped naïf. It's a trade-off for the character's whimsical nature, and if every other character in the world of the show acted like an adult, it'd be incredibly off-putting and unfunny. As it is, Jess lives with one guy who finds close-up magic romantic, another who can't get over his brief fling with European roundball fame, and a third who deals with confrontation by hiding in his hoodie. Still, there's something about Jess' inability to say "penis" that's infantilizing and unpalatable in a way that, say, Jess singing her emotions or owning a pair of "feelings sticks" aren't. I suppose it's the problem the occurs when a Manic Pixie Dream Girl type comes up against an issue of sexuality—and New Girl's done such a good job so far of adding layers to and/or subverting that archetype that to see Jess regress that way in "Naked" is upsetting. Her supply of euphemisms has a lot of humorous potential, though. Then again, it does make sense that a character who was hurt so deeply by the lecherous ways of her ex-boyfriend would have trouble dealing with sex. Certainly not "can't say the word penis" trouble, but definitely "Expressing distress at everyone's loose attitude toward sex while surround by half-clothed models" trouble. The aforementioned scene is where "Naked" ultimately finds her confronting the problem, as Cece introduces Jess to the scale-evening concept of letting Nick see her naked. Or maybe I'm just trying to argue a character I like out of a temporary portrayal that I don't.

Either way, I'm having much less difficulty rationalizing Schmidt's plot in "Naked," which is an enjoyable example of the series' most zealous character ludicrously overcompensating. Finding himself in a scenario where Winston and Jess have seen Nick's penis—but he hasn't—Schmidt sets about correcting this, a goal for the character that, for once, isn't rooted in getting into a woman's pants. Instead, it involves catching a glimpse of what's in Nick's pants. It's all a bit silly, and I don't think the plot needs to run all the way through the episode's epilogue, but it's played masterfully straight-faced by Max Greenfield, whose commitment completely sells the idea that Schmidt believes Nick truly isn't his best friend unless he flashes him. If I was forced into making a declaration this early into the series—and I shouldn't because this long-delayed-by-the-MLB-playoffs episode is still only New Girl's fourth—I'd say that Scmitt is the series' most improved character. He's gone from aggravatingly dumb to endearingly dumb in a surprisingly short amount of time.

Of course, we've gone this long without making mention of the person who this all effects the most—and honestly, for putting so much pressure on him, I think "Naked" gives Nick short shrift after his big solo dance number. He's the straight man among all the absurdity unfolding throughout "Naked," and the episode doesn't really address how he's dealing with it. Rather than giving Nick the proverbial feeling stick, it strands him in scenes with special guest star Lake Bell, who's her own kind of cartoony as a fellow bartender forever obliterating the line between sincerity and irony. I know Bell's picked up a lot of fans from her work on Childrens Hospital and How To Make It In America, but this isn't the best introduction to the actress, who plays her character's quirks in a way that makes Jess' "crazy giggle-scream" seem like typical human behavior. At least Jake M. Johnson gets that hilarious sequence with Zooey Deschanel in the elevator, the in-and-out-frame punchline of which I really should've seen coming, but somehow didn't. And, really, giving over the bulk of the episode over to Nick dealing with the situation would've been the typical sitcom thing to do—so New Girl deserves some props for avoiding that. "Naked" may present Jess with a plot more befitting a child actor, but how many child actors have you ever seen on TV Land achieving new levels of maturity by saying "penis?" Perhaps we can count on New Girl to break the occasional sitcom rule.

• Naked

Naked was a perfect episode of New Girl because the story was about one of the many male/female roommate awkward situations that could happen in real life and it was hilarious to watch the actors play their characters reacting to event. I had a few laugh out loud moments and Zoey continues to be her adorable self enchanting us viewers with her quirky ways. I look forward to watching the next episode of New Girl!!!!!!!!!