New Tricks

Tuesday 9:00 PM on BBC Premiered Apr 01, 2003 Between Seasons

aleksengland

New Tricks Fan Reviews (15)

• Old dogs.....

I have enjoyed this show for years now; the actors are all excellent veterans of their craft and it's great to see people of a certain age being used well instead of retired or cast as fogeys.

Plots deal with things that are often timely and of interest and push all the right buttons. The writing is fun and seems natural and is not aimed at juveniles like US based writing seems to be.

Love this show!
  • Never mind the plot listen to the music

I have always liked new tricks and couldn't understand why I couldn't get into the current series then I realised the problem. There is loud music inserted for dramatic effect that is drowning out the dialogue. I mentioned it to my wife and she agreed it was very distracting.

Please lets get back to the acting and dialogue and keep the music in the background. I speak as a musician and appreciate music including loud music when appropriate but not over dialogue.
  • Best Show Ever.....

I watch these religiously on PBS in the US. I have the first six seasons on DVD and buy them as they become available. We'll be seeing the season eight episodes for the first time in this country tomorrow night on PBS. I am glad to see they will be having a season nine. I am an anglophile and I LOVE this show.
  • Just great relaxing fun!

Discovered this show on DVD and am enjoying the heck out of it! Great characters, good acting, good writing. I love British detective shows and this is a great addition to the genre. I'm still in the first season and delighted to see that it has had a long run with so many more shows to look forward to.
  • Good Old Fashioned Fun TV

If you need a show that shows you why the English can produce all types of Drama's this is a great example. Not serious, but fun in so many ways, the cast all interact so well, you get to enjoy each of them for there own little quirks, watching New Tricks is a pleasure and the title song by Dennis Waterman tops it of. Cant wait for the next season.
  • An underappreciated detective series.

New Tricks is in my opinion one of those underappreciated British detective shows. The character drama is the best thing about the show but the cases are also very good as well. It's a well-written show with well done, genuine chemistry between Amanda Redman, Dennis Waterman, James Bolam and Alun Armstrong. I've watched it from the second series and loved it. My favourite character is probably Brian played by Alun Armstrong. Of the recurring cast members the actress who plays Brian's wife is my favourite. I hope New Tricks continues for years to come as it's different from the other British cop dramas you see these days on TV.
  • I love this show.

I just discovered this show this last summer when my mom and her husband came to visit. I actually do not watch a lot of TV because of other commitments but I have been known to rearrange my schedule to watch this program. I enjoy the characters and their antics and how they interact with each other as well as the story lines that I have been able to see so far. After reading some of the other reviews, I feel vindicated in wondering why this isn't a more popular program. But I am talking it up amongst my friends and acquaintances to get some more viewers in my area.
  • I love this show!

I have to agree that i don't understand why many people have not discovered this show its great, the comedy blends in well with the serious cases they tackle and its all so believeable, i find myself crying and laughing at the same show! The characters are flawed and normal human beings that you can relate to in the real world, not like some other crime shows i would not dare mention - even though i watch them as well!!! I even love the cheesy theme tune by Dennis Waterman. In fact i loved it so much i have brought all the DVD's!
  • This is a great programme with some fabulous storylines.

When I first saw New Tricks I thought oh here we go, this is going to be like the Bill, but its miles better!!! It is a very entertaining, funny series about past it cops who re-investigate old cases. It has masterpiece acting including Amanda Redman, Dennis Waterman, James Bolam and Alun Armstrong, each playing their fabulous role in the program. The storylines are usually to do with drugs, murders, alcohol, but are made a lot more interesting by the writers of this program. I have never seen such an entertaining program. I love it. What more can I say.

FIRST CLASS!!!!!!!!!!!
  • I can't believe more people do not watch this show

Well the 3rd series of this has just finished showing in Australia and I must admit I do love this show. The ability of these 'old dogs' to get away with antics that a regular police offer could not makes for a very entertaining programme. Not to mention the interaction between Sandra and her team when they skim over the proper procedures is priceless. The final episode of this season has left me wanting for more, the idea that mild-mannered Jack Halford could be driven to the point of murder makes for very entertaining viewing, I can hardly wait for Summer 2007 for the next season. Glad to know that Sandra decided to stay with the boys, I think they are really going to need her next season.
  • Great British Comedy/Drama.

This is a really good British show if you have not seen it yet. If this is a show that you do not normally watch and you are sitting at home with nothing to do, you are going to wish you had it on tape. Having it "on tape" had become the generic term for recorded programs. Today you are more likely to have the show on Tivo or DVR than VHS, or god forbid Beta!! It is kind of like how a lot of people still call CD's "records" or "albums." Anyway, back to the show. This is the type of show that is really pretty good if you would just give it a chance. So on those cold, lonely, rainy days, pop in your tape or DVR or whatever if you were smart enough to tape it. If not, check to see if it is on as a re-run. After all, as they say, if you have never seen it, it is new to you. It will be time well spent.
  • One of the Best

The individual actors are believable in their portraying of the characters which are down to earth and also the story line is quite well done.

There is no sidetracking with the characters having “relations” with each other or excessive offensive language and they get on the cases to be solved.
  • Good TV - great characters & interesting stories

Originally, one episode of New Tricks was made and after the BBC saw how successful it was they commissioned a series.

I had read about the show's brief on the BBC's site and when the Pilot was shown I made a point of watching it. And boy am I glad I did.

New Tricks is popular in the UK and I think I know why
    1) Most crime shows have some form of CSI in them - using forensic evidence to drive the story and plot - New Tricks doesn't do this
    2) The writers have given the show and its characters a sense of humour you don't normally find in Brit cop shows
    3) The characters are quirky and funny but not over the top. And best of all they fit together. The casting is inspired
    4) Its not long and drawn out like some of the other Brit shows - Waking the Dead, Midsomer Murders, Dalziel & Pascoe

New Tricks makes a refreshing break from the norm - it is so refreshing to watch a storyline about art forgery, peace protesters, etc without seeing dead bodies.

All in all its a great show and a great way to unwind in front of the TV
  • Everything about this comedy dram speaks pure quality, great acting, great scripts, and of course a great show.

Ever since the first episode was aired 2 years ago, i've been hooked to it. I'm not sure if it's the theme tune, sung by Dennis Waterman, or the on screen drama between the characters. Truely great.

Mixing comedy and dram in a police series was such an ingenious idea, usually crime drams remain gritty and serious, but this one has successfully pulled off the amusing concepts needed.

I always laugh at the on screen tension between sandra Pullman and Garry Standing, how she really hates him, but by the end of the 3rd series, he thinks she fancies him. The fact that he's been married so many times and always ends up eating out with all his exs and daughters is hilarious.

Brian lane has the obsession of needing to solve a crime, evenm if it gets in the way of his personal life, which indeed it does, as his wife has walked out on him before.

The excellent Likely Lad, Marc Bowlam or Jack Halford talks to his dead wife in the garden for company, but manages to keep things together.

The entire show is truely great, next seres next year.
  • The story of retired policemen going back to work.

Superintendent Pullman is put in charge of three retired old-timers, who are back to solve the unsolved. With four real characters, both the comedy and the drama are equally real. Each, in their own way, are good at what they do. It’s just that sometimes; the old-timers use methods that are long past their use by date – if they ever had one.

The stories are equally real, covering a wide range of crimes; from missing persons, to stolen diamonds. And just in real life, sometimes the bad guys get away with it.