New York Undercover Forums

FOX (ended 1998)

Why did they end this show?

SupermanNYC

[1]Apr 17, 2006
    • level: 45
    I would love to know why they ended this show, it was such a good show, any thoughts?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

GSU2004

[2]Apr 18, 2006
    • level: 9
    The terrible truth is simple. Fox decided that they wanted to be more mainstream and not be lumped into the little leagues with upstarts WB and UPN. To do that, they decided they wanted to focus on getting more white viewers. To do that, they cancelled shows that really couldn't appeal to white audiences such as Martin and Living Single. New York Undercover was brought back with the condition that changes would be made to the show to eliminate the urban flavor of it. Hence, the new theme song, killing off of main characters in the last season and elimination of rap and r&b music during the show. Of course loyal viewers were outraged and simply changed the channel to protest. This is why the show was cancelled.

The sad part is that the last season was not that bad but Fox had really irritated everyone including myself.

SupermanNYC

[3]Apr 18, 2006
    wow, all of that happened. I notice that they changed the mosic and all that, but this and the other reasons was just dumb on there part.
    Edited on 04/19/2006 7:11pm

GSU2004

[4]Apr 19, 2006
    SupermanNYC wrote:
    wow, all of that happened. I notice that they changed the mosic and all that, but this and the other reasons was just bumb on there part.

There are some articles online where creator Dick Wolf expressed his displeasure in having to change a concept that worked for two seasons. Also, to add insult to injury, Fox ended the show with a cliffhanger that would not be resolved to the unaired episode premiered in syndication.

SupermanNYC

[5]Apr 19, 2006
    GSU2004 wrote:
    SupermanNYC wrote:
    wow, all of that happened. I notice that they changed the mosic and all that, but this and the other reasons was just dumb on there part.

There are some articles online where creator Dick Wolf expressed his displeasure in having to change a concept that worked for two seasons. Also, to add insult to injury, Fox ended the show with a cliffhanger that would not be resolved to the unaired episode premiered in syndication.
    really, I didn't know that

GSU2004

[6]Apr 20, 2006
    SupermanNYC wrote:
    GSU2004 wrote:
    SupermanNYC wrote:

Sad but true. I really think Fox was ready to kill it off after the third season but black viewers through the help of morning radio lobbied Fox to bring the shows back. Initially, Living Single was supposed to be a midseason replacement but the other show, Rewind, with Mystro Clark and Scott Baio had production problems thus angering Fox to drop it before it even aired. The producers of Living Single were smart though, Fox told them they had 13 episodes and we'll see how you do. They provided closure on the last produced episode just in case Fox flaked. The last episode of Living Single made fun of the way how Fox did them. It was funny.

SupermanNYC

[7]Apr 21, 2006
    GSU2004 wrote:
    SupermanNYC wrote:
    GSU2004 wrote:
    SupermanNYC wrote:

Sad but true. I really think Fox was ready to kill it off after the third season but black viewers through the help of morning radio lobbied Fox to bring the shows back. Initially, Living Single was supposed to be a midseason replacement but the other show, Rewind, with Mystro Clark and Scott Baio had production problems thus angering Fox to drop it before it even aired. The producers of Living Single were smart though, Fox told them they had 13 episodes and we'll see how you do. They provided closure on the last produced episode just in case Fox flaked. The last episode of Living Single made fun of the way how Fox did them. It was funny.
    really, now i see why alot of the good shows be getting canceled and all that.

GSU2004

[8]Apr 24, 2006

SupermanNYC wrote:
    GSU2004 wrote:
    SupermanNYC wrote:
    GSU2004 wrote:
    SupermanNYC wrote:

This my friend is what you call network politics.

SupermanNYC

[9]Apr 27, 2006
    GSU2004 wrote:

SupermanNYC wrote:
    GSU2004 wrote:
    SupermanNYC wrote:
    GSU2004 wrote:
    SupermanNYC wrote:

This my friend is what you call network politics.

oh, ok, I got you

GSU2004

[10]Jun 7, 2006
    Since ditching their Thursday night lineup, Fox has yet to relive the success they had back in the 1990's with Thursdays.  Many of the newer shows have ended up canceled after a few seasons. 

SupermanNYC

[11]Aug 10, 2006
    GSU2004 wrote:
    Since ditching their Thursday night lineup, Fox has yet to relive the success they had back in the 1990's with Thursdays. Many of the newer shows have ended up canceled after a few seasons.
    thats true too. I remember when Fox rule with the Thursday night lineup of shows.

GSU2004

[12]Sep 8, 2006
    SupermanNYC wrote:
    GSU2004 wrote:
    Since ditching their Thursday night lineup, Fox has yet to relive the success they had back in the 1990's with Thursdays. Many of the newer shows have ended up canceled after a few seasons.
    thats true too. I remember when Fox rule with the Thursday night lineup of shows.

I finally got to catch Fastlane, a cop series that was bascially a Miami Vice meets New York Undercover and this really could have been a good replacement for New York Undercover on Thursdays.  Even though the show premiered in 2002 and was cancelled by 2003, they really could have did alot with this show.  They could have placed Bernie Mac on at 8, Wanda at Large at 8:30 and Fastlane at 9.  I bet you that the lineup of programming would have still be on today.

SupermanNYC

[13]Jun 17, 2007
    GSU2004 wrote:
    SupermanNYC wrote:
    GSU2004 wrote:

I finally got to catch Fastlane, a cop series that was bascially a Miami Vice meets New York Undercover and this really could have been a good replacement for New York Undercover on Thursdays. Even though the show premiered in 2002 and was cancelled by 2003, they really could have did alot with this show. They could have placed Bernie Mac on at 8, Wanda at Large at 8:30 and Fastlane at 9. I bet you that the lineup of programming would have still be on today.
    I never heard of that show.

MC_White

[14]Aug 20, 2007
    • level: 2
    I'm not saying this is why the show was cancelled, but I definitely reading a rumor that the stars rejected their negotiated new season salaries, and then were turned down, when they tried to raise the amount they would earn. Next thing I heard the show was cancelled. Anyone remember if this rumor was true?

I actually liked this show somewhat, but laughed when I heard this rumor and said: serves them right!