Newhart Forums

CBS (ended 1990)

Season 1 is the best, who else agrees

gilliganfanatic

[1]Jul 22, 2006
    • level: 19
    Seasons 2 through the end are way to silly. Season one to me is the funniest and I like Leslie a lot more. Kirk is also funny. He may be in the second sesason but he looses his character a lot in it.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

teddy2288

[2]Jul 22, 2006
    • level: 7
    I disagree, season one was the worst. I didn't miss Kirk and Leslie when they left. Stephanie and Michael are very 80s-type characters.

thacrowbar

[3]Jul 24, 2006
    • level: 10
    Man, you've got to be kidding. This is one of the few cases where the replacements far outshined the originals. Michael and Stephanie were far funnier than Kirk or dull-as-a-rock Leslie. Yes, the show got sillier but there really wasn't anything special about this show until it went that direction.

gilliganfanatic

[4]Jul 25, 2006
    • level: 19
    I still enjoy it but not as much. Maybe I have to learn to appreciate the other seasons more. I am currently starting season 3 now.

nyfan

[5]Feb 19, 2008
    • level: 20

It is not that bad, it has a couple of brillant episodes, as does every other season. The one with the dead body in the basement was brillent, Bob himself was outstanding in that episode. The one thing I liked about the earlier season especially the first season, is the focus was more on Bob, as is should be. At some point the supporting characters took over the show, and that defeats their whole purpose.

But the picture quality was awful, I was watching my Bob Newhart show DVDs, and it is hard to believe but the picture from that show which in 1972 - 78 is so much better than the first season of Newhart which was in 1982 - 83.

FredScuttle

[6]Feb 26, 2008
    • level: 43

I believe season 1 was shot on video tape and the rest on film (or maybe it's the other way around, but I think season 1 was videotaped, at least according to the episode description on the last 1st season episode on the guide here), which might explain why it looks so different.