NewsRadio

Flowers for Matthew

Aired Tuesday 8:30 PM Oct 28, 1998 on NBC

• Matthew becomes a genius.

This is one of the most ridiculous and unrealistic Newsradio episodes, and it's also one of the funniest.

In this episode, Joe makes an experimental "smart drink" in the break room and gives it to Matthew. Matthew becomes smarter and smarter until he becomes "Smatthew". He reads four books at a time and talks to Dave about the Nixon administration through Star Wars metaphors. Eventually, Smatthew becomes so smart that he realizes Joe's smart drink is just a placebo, and he becomes regular Matthew again.
  • Matthew takes a "smart drink", while Max has a crush on Beth.

This is one of the best episodes this season. I think the Matthew storyline with the smart drink is really hilarious. I can never imagine Matthew being that smart. I thought the funniest part was when he was reading four books at the same time. "Smatthew" is awesome. In the other storyline, Max has a crush on Beth, but when she finds out, Max lies to her and says that Lisa has a crush on him. I thought this storyline was okay, but not that memorable. Jon Lovitz was funny in it, though. Anyways, I recommend this episode solely for Matthew's storyline, and not for Max's storyline.
  • Mathew turns into a genius when Joe devolopes a "smart drink". Max includes a reluctant Lisa in his scams to win Beth's heart.

This is one of the funniest episodes after Bill McNeal dies.

Mathew turning into smart-Mathew or \\\"Smathew\\\" is just great to watch. The side story of Lisa not wanting to be involved with Max and Beth\\\'s love issues is ok, but the best is watching Mathew turn into a genius.

This one and the Johnny Johnson episodes are the best of this final season.