TV.com will be making some changes to our user base starting Feb 25, 2015. For more information click here

NewsRadio Forums

NBC (ended 1999)

Did Anyone Else Hate That Lisa Ended up With Johnny?

hishighness420

[1]Nov 15, 2006
    • level: 1
    I mean, I know it sounds sappy and all, but I would have liked to see Lisa and Dave end up together. But of all the people she could have ended up with? Johnny? Yuck! That's almost as bad as her ending up with Max.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

WorkingStiff79

[2]Nov 18, 2006
    • level: 4
    I liked Johnny but I didn't care for him and Lisa as a couple. To me, they just didn't seem to have much chemistry. I also would have liked to have seen Dave and Lisa get back together. They were one of my favorite tv couples.

lalakid87

[3]Nov 25, 2006
    • level: 15
    i wanted her to end up with Dave, i didn't like Johny at all =X

KiraAnara

[4]Dec 28, 2006
    • level: 7
    Have to agree, Johnny and her weren't so good. The show was practically about Dave and Lisa's relationship as much as it was about the station.

The1Factotum1i1

[5]Feb 7, 2007
    • level: 13

It was very unsatisfying that Dave was left unloved and sad,  and I'm sure the writers knew this would be a move that would definately be objectionable to the true fans. So why did they do it? To create enough buzz to insure another season? So they could excuse it in some DALLAS-like dream sequence?

If they absolutely knew it was the last episode, then they must subscribe to the post-ironic school of storytelling, wherein  hard work results in failure, generosity is punished,  youth beats experience, and boy loses girl-for keeps. It implies some sort of hipness, some authentic"creds" if you churn out unhappily ever after stories.

Another series I really liked had a similar ending, Drew Carey's short-time girlfriend agrees to marry him the day she gives birth to their child. But in the episode just previous, he's lost every possible way he was going to escape his tedious, low paying cubicle job, even regressing a bit to the level we first saw him in at the start of the series, complete with all his tormenters intact and unpunished. After all that time invested in him, he doesn't come out a winner, he's Sisyphus.

I don't want my sitcoms telling me life is unfair, I want to laugh. If you make me care about the characters, why feed me with pain? Why is a bitter cynical payoff preferable to one of redemption and reward?  In the finale of THE STEVE HARVEY SHOW,  Steve followed his off-and-on lady love to her new job in California (leaving Chicago). The last scene showed them reunited, embracing, big smiles on them and the viewer. That was a satisfying ending. No TV series lasts forever, so why not leave with a good feeling instead of a downer?

masterded

[6]Feb 10, 2007
    • level: 1
    It has been said by the producers that they didn't know for sure if the 5th season would be the last. So who knows what may of happen, the only plans they talked about was sometime in the first 2 episodes of season 6 Dave and Mathew would move where everyone else did at the end of season 5.

TVAdam

[7]Mar 22, 2007

According to the season five commentary, Paul Simms was asked if he would have had Dave and Lisa end up together and he said Yes. When Stephen Root reminded him that Lisa was still married to Johnny, then Paul replied, "Well, I'd have gotten rid of that storyline."

So, had the show lasted longer and maybe had a planned series finale, Dave and Lisa would have ended up together. Paul Simms kept saying that he wanted to end the show with all the characters having a happy ending.

mrjimmyjames

[8]Mar 16, 2011
    • level: 7

I liked Johnny, he was funny and I believe (could be wrong) he was up against Jon Lovitz for the role of Phil's replacement. If so then I think he could have been a possibly better replacement (he seems similar to Phil). But they should have known better than leaving her together with Johnny at the end of the show's run. It seems like it was so obvious that it would get cancelled; so why not have her get back with Dave? I'm suprised to hear that Paul Simms said that considering that the feel of the last moments of thelast episode felt like they were very final and almost reflective. After it was cancelled, I watched the episode and assumed that they wrote it this waybecause they wanted it to end this way.The episode makes it seem so as if they wanted him to end up single and alone in the office with Matthew.

Edited on 03/16/2011 1:21am

TheFza

[9]Jan 20, 2014

Yeah,Paul Simms planned a sixth season built around Jimmy's new radio station and newspaper in New Hampshire, but the show was not renewed due in part to Hartman's death and poor ratings.

I think that if there was a sixth season Dave and Lisa would have ended up together...