NewsRadio Forums

NBC (ended 1999)

excellent NewsRadio text on the web

pursuedbybear

[1]Jul 6, 2006
    • level: 28

Some of you may have already encountered this site since it has been available on the Internet for almost ten years now, but real fans of NewsRadio who have not yet visited this remarkable text should check it out.

NewsRadio and the Comedic Art by Adrian Foo is a very thorough and scholarly analysis of the show. It features a careful examination of the show's comedic style, insightful studies of each individual actors' contributions, in depth analysis of the ensemble's comedic structure and character studies while highlighting the sublime qualities that set the show apart from other sitcoms. Although at times the statements become a trifle hyperbolic at times, the love for NewsRadio's achievements and creators is obvious. And there is also an honest appreciation for a good laugh. The conclusions it reaches about the show may surprise casual viewers, whereas long time fans may find a deeper appreciation for a program that was truly unique at the time and whose has quality only become more clear with the dismal quality of current TV comedy. And it also has one of the best collections of NewsRadio art I've ever seen.

It is simply one of the most carefully researched, insightful and entertaining articles about a TV program I've encountered.

See it out at http://www.newsradioart.com/

Edited on 07/06/2006 6:28pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

tubalcane420

[2]Jul 7, 2006
    • level: 18
    He gets kinda academic which is annoying, but for the most part I agree with most of what he says.  I especially agree with the part about slowly realizing that the show wasn't just an excellent sitcom, but something really great.

jimisalive24

[3]Jul 11, 2006
    • level: 3
    I enjoyed the article for its analysis of the dynamics within the show. However, the extremist statements about the actors (Maura Tierney and Greta Garbo being the two greatest comedic actressess) and about the validity of the shows comedy (supposed instant gratification versus extended appreciation of the humor) made some sections absurdist; these statements obscured the more insightful (and useful) points which were made.

SteelBridge

[4]Sep 6, 2006
    • level: 3
    I'm glad at least somebody went so in-depth about the greatest sitcom ever on TV! When I say in-depth, boy do I mean it. He really breaks down the show with so much detail, very appreciated for an underappreciated show!

fiveironbell

[5]Nov 13, 2006
    • level: 11
    Oh cool. I really like how he breaks it down...but I'm not sure if NewsRadio has the best ensemble cast ever. Maybe second best, behind Spin City.

soccermom

[6]Dec 6, 2006
    • level: 11
    Oh...I don't know.  The Mary Tyler Moore Show had an outstanding ensemble cast.