NewsRadio Forums

NBC (ended 1999)

Favorite Episode

ProphetBeal

[1]Jun 15, 2006
    • level: 3

What's your favorite episode?

Mine is "Complaint Box" in season 3.  I just love when Dave is sitting at the conf table reading all the bs complaints.  And when Matthew wrote a complaint about himself.   I couldn't stop laughing.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

ZachDresch

[2]Jun 17, 2006
    • level: 23
    Led Zeppelin Boxed Set is so underrated. Matthew is hilarious in that episode. Especially when Joe walks up to him and Dave and he says, "Look, it's Tony Danza Jr."

pursuedbybear

[3]Jun 21, 2006
    • level: 28

Although I love "Super Monkey Karate Death Car", "President", "French Diplomacy", "The Song Remains the Same",  "Complaint Box", "Luncheon at the Waldorf", "Presence", "No This is Not Based Entirely on Julie's Life" and many more besides, my choice is "The Public Domain".

It is just such a rich episode with plots, sub-plots and counterplots all bouncing off one another in an episode that never lets up with laughs. And although Khandi Alexander is sadly missing, all the characters get their chance to shine.

Built on the initial premise of Dave trying to impress efficiency expert Andrea with his office management, everything becomes barely controlled chaos. Joe is constantly on alert to corral a recently fired Matthew from showing his face in the office. Jimmy brings a documentary crew to shoot a day in his life, but Lisa and Beth try to help him once it becomes obvious that Jimmy is camera shy. And on top of everything else, Bill decides he has career as a singing political commentator and roams the building with his piano singing public domain tunes with political topics inserted at random. And let's not forget a deadpan Paul Gleason as Andrea's choice as the new news director who is slowly moving into Dave's office.

Great character based comedy. Witty, fast paced dialogue. Superb sight gags. Absurd situations. Explosions. And the cast at the top of their game. What more could you ask for?

Edited on 06/21/2006 1:06pm
    Edited 2 total times.

tubalcane420

[4]Jun 23, 2006
    • level: 18
    Top three:

#1 - "Arcade"  Lisa and Dave retake the SAT, but Dave stays up all night playing an arcade game.  Bill complains about how he can't get his favorite sandwiches because the arcade game replaced the sandwich machine.

#2 - "The Cane"  Bill gets a cane, and Dave and Lisa get too hostile when pitching ideas to Jimmy.

#3 - "Padded Suit"  Matthew gets beaten up by girls at a concert, so Joe teaches him "Joejitsu".  Lisa tries to keep Dave from firing anyone.

kevinlew

[5]Jun 23, 2006
    • level: 11
    I definitely have to agree with Arcade. I'm also a video game geek and I love sandwiches, so this was a two-fer. Throw in a young Leelee Sobieski and that seals it.

ZZoMBiE13

[6]Aug 28, 2006

I'd have to say my absolute favorite is the one where Dave and Mathew desperately try to get Bill to quit smoking. I don't know the name of the episode, but it has one of my favorite lines in the entire history of TV.

Dave offers to give up coffee in attempt to share the experience of quitting with Bill and Bill says:
    That hardly seems fair, you should have to give up something more difficult... like going to the bathroom!

tubalcane420

[7]Aug 31, 2006
    • level: 18
    "I think what we need around here is an anti-whining ordinance!"

psufan128

[8]Sep 1, 2006
    • level: 4
    I love "Super Monkey Karate Death Car"

SteelBridge

[9]Sep 2, 2006
    This is so hard to answer. Of course Arcade was great. I loved Planbee and Pure Evil but I think my favorites are Led Zeppelin, Daydream and maybe just my ultimate favorite: The Public Domain!

hishighness420

[10]Nov 15, 2006
    • level: 1
    Wow, The Public Domain is my favorite episode too. With Matthew constantly showing up (The beginning with Dave telling Joe there was "something behind his door" and then Joe picks him up and carries him out to the trash was priceless.) Bill and his Piano, then Bill decking Steve. But my fav part is when the guys are talking about the plan and they all hear the piano and Dave just hangs his head, looking defeated.

My favorite "plot" to any episode though was definatly when Joe built the White Noise Machine for Dave. I've isolated it on Youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWJQlftrP2U

fiveironbell

[11]Nov 21, 2006
    • level: 11
    "Complaint Box" and "Arcade" are my favorites. Classic hilarity .

blackmire

[12]Dec 5, 2006
    "The Cane" kills me.

BILL: We both know you took my cane. When you deny it you insult not only

me, but yourself as well as ... my cane!

uk6strings

[13]May 26, 2009
    • level: 13

I have so many favorites - "Inappropriate," "Complaint Box," "Smoking," "Sinking Ship," "Led Zeppelin Boxed Set," "Halloween," "Flowers For Matthew," "Pure Evil"

But my all-time favorite NewsRadio episode would have to be "Led Zeppelin" - no other episode has me laughing as hard as that one but I also find it has some of NewsRadio's most tender and heartfelt moments, with Dave broken hearted and all. Plus, I don't think there is a better gut-busting line than the one seen in this episode:

Bill to Lisa: You got what you wanted from him didn't you? Then you snapped your legs shut like a well-oiled bear trap!!!!

Teamrat

[14]Apr 12, 2010
    • level: 16
    My all time favorite episode is no doubt *Mistake*. What Dave said about each person, their reactions (especially Joe's), and then Dave's apologies.