We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

NewsRadio Forums

NBC (ended 1999)

OPENING credits

The1Factotum1i1

[1]Jan 17, 2007
    • level: 13
    When the series was first run, and even when it was shown in the morning in syndication on A & E a few years ago, every seson had lfunny opening credits, showing cast members fooling around. Some even had different segments, especially Hartman's, within the same season. Now every episode has only this prefunctory blur of a microphone behind the logo for about three seconds. What happened?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

KiraAnara

[2]Jan 18, 2007
    • level: 7

First off, the credits you described were for seasons four and five only. The first three seasons had streets of NY.

Sometimes, they had cast names over the teaser, so they could just have a short 5 second coda with the title. That's to save time. My guess, they are doing that with episodes in syndication. Almost all (if not all) shows in syndication have scenes cut out, for more ad time. The network airing the episodes you're watching probably cut out the credits, for commercial time.

The1Factotum1i1

[3]Feb 6, 2007

The network I'm watching is TBS, which I recieve on satellite, so I suppose one could have it literally anywhere.

They're responsible for removing lots of material from other great programmes they've had, recently, for instance, they had THE DREW CAREY SHOW and turned them into shrivelled deformed versions. They also ran them in no particular order, with two per day, the first one running on a track mauch smaller than the second. That insured seeing some shows about ten times mmore than others.

Now I've noticed they're pioneering a new way of irritaion: they steal the closing credits by squash screening them while the opening of the next programme (in this case the welcome-to-dullsville Cosby Show) runs over it. Or should I say, runs it down?

LookGuysImaBear

[4]Mar 25, 2007
    • level: 2
    I hate how they run cosby or steve harvey before drew carey or News radio is over. Just for 10 extra seconds

The1Factotum1i1

[5]Mar 26, 2007
    TBS, like most every station, has to steal the ending credits of their programmes because they're in desperate fear the viewers will take that time to start channel surfing. Our collective attention span has become that which can be counted in nanoseconds. There's hardly any fade from commercial to comercial now. I recall when everything went to full quiet down, black screen before each advert or segment began.

itscrazyman

[6]May 15, 2007
    • level: 4
    I agree TBS putting the show in the little box is sooooooooooo annoying. TBS also should run NewsRadio twice a day like they do with Seinfeld and King of Queens. For shame TBS, tsk tsk.

The1Factotum1i1

[7]May 17, 2007
    It would seem they have little interest in the programme, considering it will be moved to another cable station in only two months, and their current use is only to burn off some contractual obligation left over from when it was a much newer acquisition.

itscrazyman

[8]May 22, 2007
    Which network is going to run it after TBS?

The1Factotum1i1

[9]May 23, 2007
    I have been told it will be on Nick at Night, so get your field glasses ready so you can spot the little bits of show amongst the endless parade of ads.

itscrazyman

[10]May 25, 2007
    Yeah Nick at Night runs a lot of ads. I wish they would be more like comedy central is. CC runs Scrubs and it runs about 3 minutes until the opening credits start and of course a commercial follows but there really is only two commercials in the whole episode unless you wait to watch the ending credits. Thank you for the information though, because I enjoy NewsRadio. I really should fork up the money and buy the seasons but it's more fun this way.

ZachDresch

[11]Jun 5, 2007
    • level: 23
    Season 4 showed the cast. I think they should have done that with season 5 too. That would have been cool.

pursuedbybear

[12]Jun 29, 2008
    • level: 28
    As much as I enjoyed the cast hijinks in the opening credits, I must admit I really liked it when they just posted the credits over the scene already in progress. It gave us more story, more character interaction and more comedy. And it's hard not to appreciate even a minute's worth more NewsRadio fun.