NewsRadio Forums

NBC (ended 1999)

Season 5 (the FINAL Season ) on DVD!

hammerz_13

[1]Jan 8, 2007
    • level: 11

tvshowsondvd.com announced today...season 5 is coming March 20th.....

http://tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=6788

there is some "tentative" artwork there...i really like it ! & yay for the final season FINALLY being announced!

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

ymike673

[2]Jan 8, 2007

This is GREAT news!

Merc_2k

[3]Jan 9, 2007
    • level: 6
    I hope they were able to get Lovitz for some commentary. I think that would be great.

fiveironbell

[4]Jan 9, 2007
    Awesomeness...I still don't have any of the other seasons, but this is still great news.

thatNYkid

[5]Jan 10, 2007
    saw this days ago and im glad they will make sure the whole series is on dvd. i just got Seasons 1-3 yesterday

tubalcane420

[6]Jan 13, 2007
    • level: 18
    Definitely going to buy it, especially if they got Lovitz for commentaries.  He's hilarious when he's on Simpsons commentaries.

A very underrated season.  They couldn't have gotten a better replacement than Lovitz, and the continuing quality of the episodes shows how good the rest of the cast really was.  The two "Lisa marrying Johnny" episodes were lousy, but the first three Johnny episodes were decent enough.

The awesomeness of the last four episodes, especially "Padded Suit", makes me sure that the show would have been great had it kept going.

newsradiofan

[7]Jan 14, 2007
    • level: 1
    New to this. Sorry, don't know how to start a new subject. My question: What episode had a cast member or guest sininging "Oh Danny Boy"?

newsradiofan

[8]Jan 14, 2007
    • level: 1
    I meant "singing" Oh Danny Boy.

casalinga

[9]Jan 15, 2007
    • level: 3
    actually i think you may be thinking of brian on "just shoot me." he sings it in the episode melissa joan hart gueststars in. can't think of it being on "newsradio."

VM1138

[10]Jan 23, 2007
    I like the artwork, the portrait of Phil Hartman in the back is a good tribute.

TheJugglaJay

[11]Jan 23, 2007
    • level: 4
    Jon Lovitz is awesome...but he could never replace the one and only Phil Hartman. Ah man...I made myself sad

tubalcane420

[12]Jan 28, 2007
    When I watch season 5 episodes, and the magazine with Bill's face in Dave's office is visible I think "Bill is haunting this scene."

fiveironbell

[13]Feb 6, 2007
    newsradiofan wrote:
    New to this. Sorry, don't know how to start a new subject. My question: What episode had a cast member or guest sininging "Oh Danny Boy"?

Or you could be thinking of Spin City. Alexander Chaplin sang it in the episode entitled "Local Hero".

tubalcane420

[14]Mar 20, 2007
    Anybody bought Season 5 yet? I looked at the back of the box in a store earlier today and it didn't mention any commentary tracks. I decided to hold off buying it until somebody confirmed that there are commentary tracks on this set.

I would be devastated if there weren't any commentaries. These are some of my favorites episodes of tv period and I want to hear the creators talk about it, as well as what is happening in their lives at the time they are recording the commentary tracks and whatever else pops into their heads. I just want to hear these people talk.

EDIT:  PHEEWWW!   Right after I posted, I put in a google search to see if there was any info about the commentaries, and I found this

http://movies.yahoo.com/mv/dvd/reviews/df/20070227/117258480000.html

There are indeed ten commentaries on this set.  I'm headed back to the store right now to pick up the set.
    Edited on 03/20/2007 3:37pm

lennydonkey

[15]Apr 3, 2007
    • level: 12
    If you did buy it and you get a chance can you let us know if the deleted scenes/bloopers are any good? I always enjoyed those parts in a tv show dvd but am not sure I want to buy the Lovitz season. (nothing against him, he did an admirable job filling in, but he just wasn't Phil Hartman)

tubalcane420

[16]Apr 7, 2007

The commentaries, which are the main attraction, are awesome.  Stephen Root and Andy Dick are the only actors who are on the commentaries, but those are possibly the best two they could have gotten.  They answer questions emailed to them by fans.  I knew about the email address and I really wish I would have sent them a question, especially since my email address and tv.com screenname refers to two Newsradio episodes.

The gag reel is funny as always, and they put not only the season five One Man Newsradio (which makes fun of those "wazzup" beer commercials from that era, the failed pilot Paul Simms worked on while Josh Lieb took over showrunning duties, and Jon Lovitz' catchphrase from The Critic), but also the original One Man Newsradio that wasn't on the season 2 DVD.

If you actually don't like the episodes, you shouldn't buy this.  If you just kinda like the episodes, then you should get it.  Tthis season is really sneaky.  It slowly grows on you and soon becomes your favorite.  Hartman's not here, but everybody else became twice as good.

nannernanner

[17]May 3, 2007
    Season 5 was rubbish.