NewsRadio Forums

NBC (ended 1999)

Your "NewsRadio" History

TVAdam

[1]Jul 1, 2006
    • level: 4

On March 21, 1995, I watched the debut episode of "NewsRadio" on NBC with my older sister. She was a fan of The Kids in the Hall, Saturday Night Live and The Ben Stiller Show. So having Dave Foley, Phil Hartman and Andy Dick all in the same show, was Must See TV for her. She planned on recording every episode. I loved the first season. That summer, I borrowed her tape and watched those same seven episodes over and over again. It was great. In the fall, I watched season two. Unfortunately, by the end of the second season, I wasn't as obsessed with the show as I had been. I remember hearing that the station was on fire in the finale. I thought they would have a new set for season three. I remember being shocked when the fire they talked about, turned out to not be a big deal. In the fall of 1996, I started watching season three. Once it moved to Wednesdays, my sister quit recording the show. I didn't watch it much then. I did tune into the season finale, believing it to be the series finale.

When the show came back for it's fourth season, I didn't watch it at all. I was just into other shows at the time. Once Phil Hartman was killed, I watched the first rerun NBC aired after his death. It was "Super Karate Monkey Death Car" I believe. They aired a little "In Loving Memory, Phil Hartman: 1949-1998" at the end of the episode. In the fall of 1998, my local syndication channel aired the first four seasons. I taped those episodes (starting with "Stocks"). My love and obsession for the show came back. I recorded some of the season five episodes, along with the reruns. Tuesdays were great because they showed two reruns along with a new episode. I watched the series finale, knowing in my heart that it was getting canceled. I recorded all the episodes in syndication. I didn't think the show would go anywhere after that. Then one day a couple years later, I read in the TV Guide that "NewsRadio" was going to be on A&E. I re-recorded all the episodes so I could have the different edits.

For each DVD release, I'd take a vacation from work, and make a holiday out of it. In a few weeks, I'll be watching the show on Nick at Nite.

What's your personal history with "NewsRadio"?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

tubalcane420

[2]Jul 2, 2006
    • level: 18
    I didn't even know about Newsradio until after Phil Hartman died.  Fortunately, the local Fox channel played reruns late at night and I taped them, so I got caught up with most of the episodes and got familiar with the characters by the time the fifth season started.  I watched the fifth season when it aired on NBC.

After I left for college, I didn't see Newsradio for a long time.  I reconnected with the show when I rented the season 1 & 2 DVDs from Netflix.  I was happy to find that the show was as good or maybe even better than I remember it.  Since then, I've gotten the first and second season and third season DVDs, and I have the rest of the episodes in .AVI files on my hard drive.  Sometime soon, I'll get the fourth season DVD and I'll get the fifth season when/if it comes out.

Carolee99

[3]Jul 11, 2006
    • level: 50
    I know that when I first came on the air that I watched it. I remember that I taped Bill's funeral episode when it was first one. I'm not sure that I stopped watching it after Bill died or what.

But when I was in college I would watch it every day on A&E along with Night Court. So I've seen every episode at least three times.

SteelBridge

[4]Sep 16, 2006
    • level: 3
    I watched it from day one because of Phil Hartman (I knew Andy Dick from The Ben Stiller Show) and due to the fact that it was on NBC which had a lot of funny sitcoms on at that time. I remember seeing a promo for it so I tuned in. I thought it was so damned funny that I never looked back, continuing to watch every episode despite them moving it to different time slots a gazillion times (that's when I started to hate NBC haha). It was only later that I found The Kids in the Hall because Dave Foley was so darned hilarious on NR.

Anyway, I followed the show wherever it went because it was witty, smart, had good writing and a stellar cast (better than Friends IMO). I had to tape it at certain points when it would be moved to a day and time when I had to work. Boy was I glad to have those tapes though in later years (now I have the DVDs, yay!). I also watched the reruns on A&E, where I think many people who missed its first run found this gem of a show. In college my friends would hear me laughing out loud and wondered what the heck I was watching. I ended up getting them hooked as well. Ever since I watched the first episode in '95, it's been my favorite show of all time (which is saying something because I've watched a lot of TV) and it never gets old no matter how many times I watch it. I pretty much know every episode off by heart.

I'll never for the life of me understand why it never became popular or mainstream (perhaps those multiple moves had something to do with it). That's okay though, because now I feel like us NR fans are part of a unique and special (not Matthew kind of special haha) group.

fiveironbell

[5]Oct 27, 2006
    • level: 11
    Well, mine is fairly short. But anyway...

I had been hearing about this show from different people, and then I saw a segment about it in "I Love the '90s", and it looked like the kind of quirky show I would enjoy.

When Nick @ Nite announced they would be showing it during the summer I was happy, but not so happy when I discovered it would be on at 2 in the morning. Once I finished re-recording all of the Spin City episodes, I decided to record the block of episodes one night and see for myself how good it was.

Of course, I was pleasantly surprised at how awesome it was. NewsRadio is just the kind of show I love, and now I watch it whenever I can on TV, although that's not often, with school.

WorkingStiff79

[6]Nov 10, 2006
    • level: 4
    I first started watching Newsradio shortly after Phil Hartman died. I had seen bits and pieces of it before that but never saw a full episode. I think the first episode I ever watched was "Who's the Boss?(1)". I caught a few episodes on NBC that summer but it wasn't until Newsradio started airing in syndication on my local Fox station that I really started to like the show. The first episode I saw in syndication was "The Public Domain" and I remember laughing so hard when Bill punched Steve. To this day, that is still one of my favorite episodes. It quickly became one of my favorite shows and I never missed an episode after that. It aired on Fox from 12:00 am -1:00 am every weeknight so it didn't take me long to get caught up with the show in time for season 5. I watched the show every week on NBC during the 5th season. I was pissed when they cancelled it. I continued to watch it in syndication until my Fox station stopped airing it sometime in late 1999 or early 2000. Shortly after that I think it started airing on A&E but I didn't watch it as much as I did when it aired on my Fox station. When I heard A&E was going to stop airing the show, I tried to tape as many eps as I could but it was too late, by that time, it was only airing on weekends and the only episode I was able to tape was the pilot. lol By the summer of 2004, I was starting to miss the show alot so I bought a Newsradio tape off of someone but the tape had poor quality so I only watched it once. Then I heard it was coming out on dvd. I bought Seasons 1&2 right away. Took me about a week to watch all the episodes. I was a bit slow in picking up seasons 3 and 4 though. I just picked up season 4 the other day and plan on watching it sometime next week.

Buffylover365

[7]Mar 23, 2008
    • level: 16

How I really became a fan of "Newsradio" is a simpe, yet, interesting story.

During the time when TBS was revamping their programming, I noticed that "Newsradio" was airing. I can't really remember watching it when it was first on (for whatever reason), but I saw some episodes of the show and thought it was absolutely hilarious!

I'd immediately gone to Best Buy and purchased the Season 1 and 2 DVD box set, and I definitely plan to get the others!

One thing I love about this show is that it's got lots of dialogue that you can use in everyday conversation. For example:

"You're supposed to be thick-skinned." "I'm plenty thick-skinned." "Oh yeah, I've seen thicker skin on a bowl of pudding."

I love "Newsradio"; it's one of my all-time favorite shows!

lennydonkey

[8]Mar 25, 2008
    • level: 12
    I watched the show on and off when it first aired and loved it, but couldn't watch consistantly because I never knew when it was on since it got bounced around so much. Then I rented the DVD's on netflix and loved it again.

mp34mp

[9]Apr 19, 2008
    • level: 16
    I started watching when it first came out on NBC. Then after Phil Hartman died, I watched the 1st episode without him, and couldn't watch any other episodes. It was only until this year that I finally could start watching the show again (plus I didn't have cable so the option wasn't there) and it's now on in sydication here. So I'm watching these again for the 1st time since the mid 1990s. They showed the 'Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor: DAMNNNNNNNNN!' episode last night which was god damned hilarious! No way you could get away with something like that today. One of the episodes that stuck in my mind all these years was the Mark Russell episode.

Antique22

[10]Mar 24, 2010
    • level: 11

I developed a MEGA crush on Dave Foley after seeing him provide the voice of Flik in Disney's A Bug's Life and after seeing him in that movie I was curious to find other shows Dave Foley had starred in and I discovered he was featured as Dave Nelson in Newsradio and from then on I would watch Newsradio just to see him and I also had a big crush on Matthew too because he was the cutie pie of the show. It's really a shame that Newsradio repeats are no longer shown on TV and I wish that they could be shown on TV again because now that I have a Vugo recording device I would record every Newsradio episode every day,

Tiki

Human_Typhoon

[11]Apr 3, 2010
    • level: 5
    I remember this show, caught it on one night.