NewsRadio

Luncheon at the Waldorf

Aired Tuesday 8:30 PM May 02, 1995 on NBC

• Beth gets invited to go on a non-date with Bill and things get out of control.

I was watching this episode on the DVDs and since it is one of my favorite episodes I decided to watch it with the commentary on. It was very sad to hear the commentary since it had a director and a writer (I think) and Vickie Lewis and they were all talking about Phil and what an impact they had on their career. Each one of them remembered how it was to work with him and how they felt that he was the senior actor with not only the most experience on the set but also the most skill. They said how they felt that they had made it that they knew that they were successful since they got to work with such a great actor. It was made clear through this commentary that all the members of the cast and the crew really idolized Phil and loved as much if not more than his fans did.
    In this episode you really saw Phil’s skill show through, he didn’t just play his usual snarky Bill character he showed that he could be vulnerable and subtle too (all in humor of course). By far my favorite line of this episode is when he uses the analogy of a father going to the fair with his daughter, they’re having a wonderful time then the go on the Ferris wheel and she wants to make out. “How could she do that? How could she french her Daddy?” That’s some classic Phil Hartman.